American family, four returnees test positive in state quarantine

webfact

American family, four returnees test positive in state quarantine

By The Nation

800_d005ba99340e723.jpg?v=1599024218

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported eight cases in state quarantine over a 24-hour period today (September 2), the 100th day without any domestic case in Thailand since May.

The new cases are all asymptomatic.

Six of them travelled from the United States, including an American family of four – a 13-year-old girl, a 15-year-old boy, a 48-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman – who arrived on August 19 and have been found positive in alternative state quarantine in Samut Prakan. The other two are a man, 34, and woman, 36, who returned from the US on August 27 and have tested positive in Chon Buri state quarantine.

Meanwhile, a 27-year-old male student, who returned from Australia on August 24, tested positive in Chon Buri state quarantine and a 29-year-old woman who came home from Japan on August 28 also tested positive in Chon Buri quarantine.

As of today, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand stands at 3,425 (488 found in state quarantine), 93 of whom are in hospital while 3,274 have recovered. The death toll remains unchanged at 58.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am today the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases globally has increased to 25.9 million. Of these, 18.1 million have recovered, while 861,251 have died.

Thailand ranks a healthy 121st for most cases in the world. The US has the most number, with 6.2 million, followed by Brazil (3.91 million), India (3.68 million), Russia (1 million) and Peru (657,129).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393900

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-02

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

American family of four – a 13-year-old girl, a 15-year-old boy, a 48-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman – who arrived on August 19 and have been found positive in alternative state quarantine in Samut Prakan. 

Dual passports? 

Edit: ASQ... I thought it was SQ as the headline says.. 

Edited by RotBenz8888

I read somewhere (BP?) that the British female teacher who was found to be positive, had cought it in quarantine. Sounds like a dangerous place to be.

However, without the quarantine, there would have been 488 infected people walking around Thailand .

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

Every day, one or more here in quarantine. + Infections rising in the south (Indo), to the west (Burma), to the north (China) and Laos (?) and strongman HS to the east. Begs the question ... why not here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dap said:

Every day, one or more here in quarantine. + Infections rising in the south (Indo), to the west (Burma), to the north (China) and Laos (?) and strongman HS to the east. Begs the question ... why not here?

Cos they are telling "porkies"!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought that Covid testing and certs were to ensure you were fine to travel, and covid free.

Why would you think that? Nobody said that. Obviously a very recent infection won't be detected by a test. That's the reason for the quarantine, but surely you already knew that.

Edited by Paradise Pete
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

In the initial stages, one can be infected but the virus level is so low as to be undetectable by the tests. However, as it continues to reproduce, the virus will eventually be present in sufficient numbers to be detected. That's the reason for the 14 day quarantine...if a person is infected but the virus count is low, during the 14 days, it will grow enough to be detected; if after 14 days it's still not detected, the assumption is the person is not/never was infected. The pre-flight testing is to ensure one is not "actively" infected and possibly spreading the virus to others during a long flight.

Which makes no sense in the fact that the Thai Nationals are never tested before leaving whatever country they are in and only tested upon there return to Thailand, thus possibly infecting others during the flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Why would you think that? Nobody said that. Obviously a very recent infection won't be detected by a test. That's the reason for the quarantine, but surely you already knew that.

My comment was sarcastic in nature.  Why do foreigners need to be tested prior to flying but the Thais are not.  That was the whole point I was making.  Unequal and disparate treatment and racial inequity at its finest.

1 hour ago, Dap said:

Mekong Immunity 

• Haha 1

There are always going to be cases in ASQ Hotels to keep all the scams going from the high cost of air fares, hotels, tests etc and also the government telling people how they are stopping Covid coming to Thailand diverting the people attention away from real issues.

Anyone who is prepared to jump through hoops spend a load of cash irrespective of their reasons to return must be prepared to accept there is a good chance they will be tested ‘positive’ and ‘relieved’ of more money from their wallet and spend unnecessary time in a hospital till they have ‘recovered’ The majority of people don’t need to be hospitalised, the U.K. built loads of Nightingale Hospital which have thankfully never been used. 

We are currently stuck in the U.K. with my partner and son and no way would I go through the process of a repatriation flight even if it meant falling foul of Immigration here and the fact I don’t have thousands of pounds to spare.

We have applied for an extension of my partners visa and sent our son to school here today as I can’t see a return before February. The only downside is paying the rent in the house in Thailand but i have managed to negotiate a reduction whilst we are stuck here

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Six of them travelled from the United States, including an American family of four – a 13-year-old girl, a 15-year-old boy, a 48-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman – who arrived on August 19 and have been found positive in alternative state quarantine in Samut Prakan. The other two are a man, 34, and woman, 36, who returned from the US on August 27 and have tested positive in Chon Buri state quarantine.

If they were allowed into Phuket on their open arms policy, they would have been walking around within one kilometre of the hotel rubbing shoulders with the public, not to mention staff who would then mingle with family & friends... 

Another perfect example of why opening borders at this time would not be a good idea.

15 hours ago, Dap said:

Nothing in Laos........

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why do foreigners need to be tested prior to flying but the Thais are not.

Because Thais have a right to enter their own country....they can't stop them from returning....foreigners would be rejected....they all go to quarantine, regardless.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, geisha said:

What would worry me IF I were flying is that there are numerous Covid Positive on that flight with me, and sitting next to me. 

Air flow in airplane is really good! Hole air chance every 3 minutes! Air flow goes sideways and old air leave from floor! Airplane has "HEPA" filter , whitch filtrate 99.97 % all sht away! Also bacteria and virus!

Airplane air quality is as good as in hospital operating room! Its really small chance that you get covid in plane! But airport is different thing!

Edited by 2 is 1

43 minutes ago, tonray said:

Because Thais have a right to enter their own country....they can't stop them from returning....foreigners would be rejected....they all go to quarantine, regardless.

The right to enter your country is not violated if you would be submit to a medical test or quarantine i would say ...as you are allowed to enter the country....example is there as western countrys do it ....

50 minutes ago, tonray said:

Of course, but why insist on the disparate treatment and costs. Oh yeah right, it is because they can, but then it is another ridiculous reason and one when folks in the future look back at it will condemn Thailands Government for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

The right to enter your country is not violated if you would be submit to a medical test or quarantine i would say ...as you are allowed to enter the country....example is there as western countrys do it ....

So if test positive fly to Thailand and go to quarantine. If test negative fly to Thailand and go to quarantine ? What's the point ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Air flow in airplane is really good! Hole air chance every 3 minutes! Air flow goes sideways and old air leave from floor! Airplane has "HEPA" filter , whitch filtrate 99.97 % all sht away! Also bacteria and virus!

Airplane air quality is as good as in hospital operating room! Its really small chance that you get covid in plane! But airport is different thing!

Am I right in saying the air flow is not operational till the aircraft takes off, you could be sitting on the plane for quite a while till it’s operational ?

3 hours ago, tonray said:

So if test positive fly to Thailand and go to quarantine. If test negative fly to Thailand and go to quarantine ? What's the point ?

Sorry i was understanding out the replys that they may enter whiteout quarantine  .....hence my reply about western country also quarantine their nationals...

You cleared up my misunderstanding

Edited by david555
  • Like 1