UK visitors denied tourist visas

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

report from the paper that cannot be named is saying the STV visa now requires TWO health insurance policies:

1 thai policy - 400K inpatient + 40K outpatient (thai company only)

1 covid policy - 100K USD

Of course it does, did anyone really think they would reduce the requirements and restrictions?

The goal is to discourage and deter, not to encourage and accommodate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SVC Porter said:

Thank you, SVC Porter. Much appreciated.

The way the OP has been written it gives the impression that Richard Barrow wrote on Twitter "It seems Brits are denied the special tourist visa. Should we now lobby the UK gov to deny entry to all Thai people?"

I could not bring myself to believe that Barrow wrote that, hence my quest for the link to Barrow's tweet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why bring Mr Barrow in this story ?

I don't remember seeing him posting such a "news" ??

Without a link this OP looks like fake news :unsure:

Thank you, Pattaya, for having raised the alert.

1 hour ago, Cod Face said:

Judging from some of the threads on this forum, and others, there are plenty of others ready and able to come back also.

Why are you talking about 2 separate issues. Thai made a "list" on that list were farang married to Thai along with others such as PR etc.

This STV is completely unrelated. There will be zero folk from UK, Spain, India, etc etc allowed to obtain STV. Nor should they

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I've seen a list of requirements posted for this visa in a facebook group - they are onerous.

You need bank account audits, criminal record checks - even for the kids along with a whole load of other stuff - all to go on holiday.

It will fail.

It would fail if the goal was to draw in typical tourists. 

It could succeed wildly if the goal is to draw in cashed up business people (under the guise of tourists) who will be buying up distressed properties and renting up distressed hotels and restaurants to be ready for when they do allow normal tourists.  Also, to sign agreements to import $$ billions of distressed (spelled d-i-s-c-o-u-n-t-e-d) Thai agricultural produce.

You know...  "Special Tourists"

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

It would fail if the goal was to draw in typical tourists. 

It could succeed wildly if the goal is to draw in cashed up business people (under the guise of tourists) who will be buying up distressed properties and renting up distressed hotels and restaurants to be ready for when they do allow normal tourists.  Also, to sign agreements to import $$ billions of distressed (spelled d-i-s-c-o-u-n-t-e-d) Thai agricultural produce.

You know...  "Special Tourists"

That I think is the crux of the matter. If they didn't call it a "Special Tourist Visa" but something like "Exceptional Entry Visa", there might not be so many complaints.

As much as it galls me to not be able to be a "snowbird" this winter, I can see the logic, but, as ever in Thailand, much is "lost in the translation"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

A nice theory - but the Cold War style 'tit for tat' diplomacy beats common sense.  Take Korea for example - they have a COVID second wave, so their citizens have restricted entry to Thailand, so they have cancelled all but long term employment visas for Thai citizens ..... and their stated reasoning as listed on their Immigration web site is because Thailand have restricted entry for Korean nationals.  

No mention of relative health risk, just a simple retaliation policy.  

Korea is the best country in these regards. At least they have the balls to implement proper policies.

Contrary to Europe (Schengen) that lets people from all sorts of countries in (Canada, Japan, South Korea, THAILAND) without getting the same privileges in return.

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

A nice theory - but the Cold War style 'tit for tat' diplomacy beats common sense.  Take Korea for example - they have a COVID second wave, so their citizens have restricted entry to Thailand, so they have cancelled all but long term employment visas for Thai citizens ..... and their stated reasoning as listed on their Immigration web site is because Thailand have restricted entry for Korean nationals.  

No mention of relative health risk, just a simple retaliation policy.  

I would like to see a lot more of this kind of thing, especially from my country once it's allowed to make little decisions like this on its own come January 1, 2021.

A great long list should be compiled of those who take advantage, Boris Johnson should stand up in the commons and read out a 'reciprocity proclamation' and proceed deal out a large dose of karma to all the countries who take advantage of the EU and by extension, the UK.

Things are going to change....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

They can block UK from obtaining the visa all they want... even if they was allowed they seem to not understand they wouldn’t come with paying 60K baht to be locked in prison after a 12 hour flight.

Nobody is coming to Thailand with all these fire hoops so you can blacklist who you want it doesn’t matter! 555

Had a pal arrive here from the UK and he of course was in quarantine, had a wife and child to get back to. I guess you specifically mean tourists.....

I suspect many older guys would like to come here for the winter, being Covid free has it's attractions, the result of the odious quarantine.

Edited by jacko45k

It is past time to get back on topic after I have removed some posts that were way off topic. If it continues this topic will be closed.

Edit: And now a bating post. No further notice will be given when post are removed.

Edited by ubonjoe

19 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

report from the paper that cannot be named is saying the STV visa now requires TWO health insurance policies:

1 thai policy - 400K inpatient + 40K outpatient (thai company only)

1 covid policy - 100K USD

i'd say the insurances are now going to cost more than the holiday!

and totally out of reach for all but the wealthiest pensioners

this really is descending into a total farce

Not Thai company. Thai companies only insure people on long stay visa.

Expat insurance will do.

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've seen a list of requirements posted for this visa in a facebook group - they are onerous.

You need bank account audits, criminal record checks - even for the kids along with a whole load of other stuff - all to go on holiday.

It will fail.

Totally agree. Purely by chance I ran down my Thai bank account at the end of February to less than 1,000 and in hindsight a good move

Nobody but nobody bar maybe 0.1% of previous regular vistors are remotely going to put up with such onerous requirements

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, Fat George said:

Should we now lobby the UK Gov to deny entry to all Thai people? 

What good would such a move be likely to do in practice in the current situation? Doubt whether there are all that many Thais skipping up and down their soi at the present time in ecstatic delight at the prospect of an imminent trip to the COVID19-infested UK. And I am certainly not aware of any recent reports of the doors to the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai being beaten down by hordes of optimistic Thais clutching UK visa applications!

Edited by OJAS