Farang's Covid treatment

elgenon

I know of one Thai who has been tested positive and treated for Covid-19 in Thailand. 

Wife’s Cousin - returned from Uni in US in late march. Had minor cold symptoms and was tested but discharged from hospital. Two days later an ambulance turned up at his home, his parents were told he ‘had to be quarantined and treated’ at a hospital. His parents initially objected, but they were not given a choice and threatened with the police. 

The lad with very mild symptoms was apparently treated as a precaution with Avigan (Favipiravir) and discharged after a couple of weeks. 

I have no idea what has happened to the foreigners who’ve tested positive for Covid-19 while in ASQ. 

I don’t know if they continue their quarantine or are taken to a hosptalised quarantine facility and held until they test negative for Covid-19.

• Sad 1

I had all the symptoms in February here in CM. Couldn't understand why I ached and nose running, sweats, and why I could not taste my food. Lasted for a couple of weeks. Never had anything quite like it, and that was before CV19 was jumping out of the box every where.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, curtklay said:

This is an excellent question.

I do not know anyone who has been treated for Covid, or for that matter anyone who has tested positive.

Makes you wonder.

Wonder what?

My niece is a junior doctor at a fairly big government hospital in Bangkok, end of March her friend and colleague fell ill with covid. She was quarantined in the hospital and my niece and some others sent home to isolate. Friend recovered and they all went back to work in due course. Hospital had covid patients but not that many and none died.

My niece did her degree in China so speaks Chinese, when it all kicked off she had to deal with all the concerned Chinese coming in off the streets, never came across any that warranted a test. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It took me until last month to find one and it was a friends daughter who worked in a local hotel in a remote part of Scotland that had it . She felt fine apart from little under the weather and the family had to quarantine for a fortnight but none of the other members tested positive at any point . 

• Like 1

Do not know in Thailand. My son in the UK was tested positive 10 days ago after being notified he had been in contact with another known virus sufferer. At present he is at home and he and his wife are under strict quarantine due to him being vulnerable due to other complications. So far he is feeling tired and cannot smell or taste anything, with flu like symptoms. He has twice been visited by a nurse and doctor in hazmat suits to check on his condition, but it is not so serious as to warrant hospitalisation, so far. Fingers crossed he comes through this with no lasting problems.  

• Like 1

I had one personal friend who 'got' it in the USA. (That's beside Donald, Tom, Rita, Daniel Dae, Joe, etc..) He was isolated at home and his Doctor treated him with Hydroxychloroquine & the Z max combination (same as Daniel Dae Kim) and he was over it in a week. He contracted Covid19 in DC, but was treated in Texas. All Good!!

• Like 1

My brother and his 2 early 20's sons got it recently. The boys had mild allergy symthoms, he had a sore throat and mild fever for 3 days. He lives near Chicago. Another friend and his family from the midwest USA got it recently. Tested positive but none of them were really sick.

10 hours ago, elgenon said:

Does anyone personally know a farang who has been treated for Covid? What was it like? Was the farang satisfied with how he/she was treated and the cost? Is it OK to mention where he/she was treated?

Locally no but back home I know about 20 people so far that have had it. A few say they wouldn’t wish the sufferings they went through on their worst enemy. Most came through it with minor issues and 3 people died.

• Like 1

None of my friends, family, or acquaintances anywhere in the world have been sick with Covid.  And with a horrible disease that we're told is worse than the Black Plague or the Spanish Flu, I find it amusing that I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has been sick. 

So everyone, get a mask on and stay at home.  You'll surely get sick and die otherwise.  ????

Edited by connda
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.livescience.com/woman-sheds-infectious-coronavirus-70-days.html

Personally I have lived close with covid-19 and 20EU01 positive tested people. 20EU01 is mutation that originally comes from spain and is more infectious then Covid-19.

Exposed to both also for some time because the people involved had no to mild symptoms that where misinterpreted.

Therefore I have been exposed for more then 10 days each and never got Covid-19 or the mutation from spain called 20EU01. Tested with the nose swap test as well with antibodies in blood several tested negative.

On the other hand lost friends of between age 20 to 50 due to the virus.

Therefore it is unpredictable and they still not know why some people have no problem and other have huge problems.

Thailand seem to have one luck and that is they have several vaccines administered that now are probably interesting the Covid-19 virus it work.

I do recommend everyone still keep distance and wash hands, prevent hand in your face.as well ventilate rooms very well

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know if they continue their quarantine or are taken to a hosptalised quarantine facility and held until they test negative for Covid-19.

I believe they are transferred to the hospital that is working with the ASQ accommodation (pretty sure there was a post on here saying it was for 10 days minimum but haven't seen anything "official" re for how long).

For example:

What happens if an ASQ guest tests positive for COVID-19 at the hotel?

• Bumrangrad International Hospital shall take full responsibility for the guest, which including medical treatments and moving the patient to hospital or high performing hospital (depends on the patient’s condition).

https://www.grandecentrepointterminal21.com/bangkok/alternate-state-quarantine-package/

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I had all the symptoms in February here in CM. Couldn't understand why I ached and nose running, sweats, and why I could not taste my food. Lasted for a couple of weeks. Never had anything quite like it, and that was before CV19 was jumping out of the box every where.

Assuming you did have COVID, I am wondering how it was you did not infect anyone else, given how readily transmissible coronavirus is.

IMO there are a combination of factors in Thailand which damp down the virus. How else can one explain the fact Thailand probably had more Chinese tourists than anywhere else, 12 million of them, and did not transform this country into a petri dish?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, curtklay said:

This is an excellent question.

I do not know anyone who has been treated for Covid, or for that matter anyone who has tested positive.

Makes you wonder.

i know a bunch who tested positive but none of them had any symptoms so far 

• Like 2

Not in Thailand . In Belgium , far family from me , 4 deaths in 3 weeks time ( 1 was really old , and prob died this year anyway , the others were not young (65-75 ) but had no special medical history ) . 1 friend of my parents , 70-75 y age , was in good shape before but did catch it and was in ICU for a few days . Was later released , and had serious side-effects , don't know his condition now , since it has been a few months since we heard of him

Prob 20 others , from my workplace had it and all off them had mild symptoms . Neighbor of me got it now , she staying home quarantine , so far no serious effects i heard .

Can't really answer your question directly, I had a Thai friend back in April showed all the symptoms.

She went to the local clinic where the doctor told her to go home and isolate, she took ibuprofen for 2 weeks and slowly recovered.

She was not tested at any point.

I was really curious as to a farang's experience receiving treatment in Thailand. I assumed there were cases since in TV it has been noted that Thai's don't trust farangs being healthy. 

Good to know that no one knows of a farang getting Covid in Thailand. They should be free of restrictions?

3 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

My Ex wifey had it in the USA.

She had rolling flu like symptoms, good one day but ill the next, for a two week period on time.

She is fine now.

99.9% recover IMHO

You are right about the 99.9% , said it already many times . But about the hospitals being full , the deaths are the ones we try to avoid , but the real problem is the full hospitals , so that all people cannot get the care which is needed to stay alive , not only covid patients but all patients .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sezze said:

You are right about the 99.9% , said it already many times . But about the hospitals being full , the deaths are the ones we try to avoid , but the real problem is the full hospitals , so that all people cannot get the care which is needed to stay alive , not only covid patients but all patients .

Which is exactly why IMO they should use army field hospitals to treat corona patients while leaving hospitals to treat all the usual patients. Corona does not stop people getting cancer, etc.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is exactly why IMO they should use army field hospitals to treat corona patients while leaving hospitals to treat all the usual patients. Corona does not stop people getting cancer, etc.

Well, that's been tried and doesn't work quite that easily.  Remember the Navy ship?  It was to be for the treatment of non-Covid patients.  It didn't work.  Within a short period of time someone was in the hospital and then tested positive for Covid-19.   

There have been a few other situations where it's been tried with the same outcome.   

Covid is simply too contagious to be easily contained and for patients to be safely and effectively segregated.