Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

Well lets hope other countries will follow in opposite reaction, so we will see where Thais will be able to go except to China and North Korea. I really dont believe those rules will be long on power, they just want to squeze as much money as they can in this Pandemic for they cover their losses, i dont think this will work. If someone have 500k for 6 months in a bank account it doesnt mean he will spend those 500k in Thailand or they think that? Same they claimed every chinese will spend 400k ???????????? what a joke. 

Edited by NB1986

32 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Ok but this one doesn't show it. That requirement in itself would just about disqualify this visa.https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

How surprising, Thai consulates are saying different things around the World lol.

I checked again and in the last day they've now removed "for duration of stay" but still have the following

"Confirmed accommodation under the applicant’s name, after 14-day stay at Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) upon entry into Thailand"

What does that now mean, who knows?

Edited by aussiexpat

On 11/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, a3tsw said:

Genuine tourists will simply go elsewhere , if they think that the entry requirements are too onerous , Thailand is not the be all and end all of holiday destinations , there are plenty of options available.

They already were, pre covid.

Vietnam up 32%.

http://www.vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international?csrf_test_name=3764942ff70dbfc4fda29a6c4e720317&txtkey=&year=2020&period=t1

• Like 1

I agree this is an extreme requirement but now is a good time for the country to figure out a way to restart tourism without returning to the way things were: far too many tourists destroying every inch of the natural environment and local culture that made Thailand attractive in the first place.  We should not be aiming at 40 million visitors a year as we were.  Bhutan is not crazy to impose expensive entry requirements.  I’m not sure that’s the best answer but Thailand has to find a balance and stop feeding its tourism addiction.  There are plenty of other domestic industries with great potential if the government would focus and educate better (I know, not gonna happen overnight ).  Package and cheapo tourism is not going to create a good future for young Thais.  This pandemic, painful as it is, is a useful time-out to rethink.  

23 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

if this is the case it wont affect any tourists unless they are intending to stay for 30days plus

The 30 days visa exempt entry has not been valid for months nor is it likely to be for a while (unless travel bubbles can be arranged with countries, such as Australia and New Zealand that have gotten on top of covid ... for now).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Backpackers, typically spend more than the average Thai. They contribute to the economy, as well. Those who look down on backpackers are merely prejudiced toward the young. Not everyone can be comfortably retired with a lucrative pension.

Just came back from an island break.

The resort we stayed at is a bit worn, but worn well is the way I would describe it.

It was quiet, maybe average 6 people a night. One night up to 10.

Talking to the owner it seems it is picking up a little bit from a couple of months ago. 

Up until the Wuhuflu about 60% of visitors were expat backpackers who stayed on average 4 or 5 nights and spent a fair bit in the bar at night.

At the moment the owner has a small team working on the resort to do repairs and improvements etc while the visitor numbers are down, the work being done with backpacker money. The owner said they never had any problems with backpackers, the hardest ones to look after were from guess where as they never spent any money in the resort itself and ran the staff ragged.

Just sayin'

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just came back from an island break.

The resort we stayed at is a bit worn, but worn well is the way I would describe it.

It was quiet, maybe average 6 people a night. One night up to 10.

Talking to the owner it seems it is picking up a little bit from a couple of months ago. 

Up until the Wuhuflu about 60% of visitors were expat backpackers who stayed on average 4 or 5 nights and spent a fair bit in the bar at night.

At the moment the owner has a small team working on the resort to do repairs and improvements etc while the visitor numbers are down, the work being done with backpacker money. The owner said they never had any problems with backpackers, the hardest ones to look after were from guess where as they never spent any money in the resort itself and ran the staff ragged.

Just sayin'

Interesting.  You say about 6-10 people/night.   Any idea what normal number would have been at this time of year?  What island or area were you at? 

7 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Interesting.  You say about 6-10 people/night.   Any idea what normal number would have been at this time of year?  What island or area were you at? 

Maybe 25 rooms, 7 or 8 bungalows plus a double story building with the other rooms.

Lets say average 80% up full normally.

No names in case minor comments get taken the wrong way.

Does ANYBODY in Thai government have a degree in Economics?? You would think that those who make these decisions would be required to estimate the impact that such decisions will have on tourism. Very strange way to manage an economy.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, John Drake said:

You get what you pay for in Bhutan. A pristine experience. No crowds. Beautiful landscapes. Little pollution. A chance to go back in time at least 50 years. In Thailand you get PM 2.5 everywhere, fecal infected drainage on beaches, Chinese overwhelming hotels, restaurants, and temples, and government policies that acquiesce in the burning, stripping, and overuse of forest lands. If I have $250/day to spend, I'll do it in Bhutan, not Thailand.

Im not sure what u talking about . .  MORE smog there and in TH.

https://www.iqair.com/bhutan

On 11/12/2020 at 7:33 AM, capriole said:

They don't only ask for the money in the account but aslo for a non objection letter from the employer, why the heck should I let my employer know where I want to go for a holiday? ????

That just for the METV , Visa application.

2 hours ago, taxin said:

Been in Thailand for 17 years and can honestly say I’ve never met anyone who entered the country on a SETV, only visa exempts and Non immigrant visas.

Me , i can scan my passport so you can see the stamps . 1st years in Thailand i did come 3 times 1 month , but last 10y i did 1 time 1 month and after 1 time 2 months requiring a SETV .

On 11/12/2020 at 6:22 AM, KhonkaenExpat said:

Good by Tourism. let's kill the economy some more, soon the Baht will crumble 

Waiting for that to happen almost a decade. If that starts to happen, Thailand won't be place where people go for holidays.