UK PM Johnson's Brexit 'brain' Cummings to leave Downing Street

rooster59

it doesn't matter what side the Prime minister of 2016 and the chancellor of exchequer at the time were on , Most people that voted for leave or remain would have listen to what they said, Some of them would have voted for remain after listening to the PM and Coe and other people didn't

Just because you listen to one side it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they said

I am sure the same applies to today where everyone doesn't agree with Boris

And what we do know is the majority of the 17,410,741 leave voters had already made their minds up long before the  EU referendum

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, 7by7 said:

I think it is fair to say that most of those who voted were already pro or anti EU before the referendum was even thought of.

But the committed do not decide elections nor referendums; it is the don't knows.

Both campaigns were aimed at these, not the committed.

A reminder of what I said: " the Leave side repeatedly said that leaving would not mean jeopardising access to the single market!" Access to, not membership of.

Not only was Gove saying there that we should have access to the single market; both he, Johnson and all of Vote.Leave promised us that we would have that access.

Of course, as any sensible person knew at the time and the rest have all found out since, what Cummings, Johnson, Gove and the rest said we should have and what the EU are willing to let us have are not the same thing!

Gove's 'should' is illustrative of one of Cummings and his Vote.Leave's major campaign thrusts; that we could leave the EU but still retain all the benefits of membership. This fooled enough of the don't knows to tip the vote into the 52/42 win for leave.

A margin, by the way, which Farage said would be unfinished business when he thought Remain were going to win by such a small majority!

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So having been shown that Vote.Leave did say we would, or even according to Gove "should," maintain access to the single market, you are still saying that Cameron influenced Leave voters more than them!

Desperation indeed.

How do you know? Asked them all? 

No Need to ask them as you have indicate in your 1st post

"I think it is fair to say that most of those who voted were already pro or anti EU before the referendum was even thought of"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I see, so you are taking my word for it rather than finding out for yourself. How gratifying.!

I also said, among other things, "Gove's 'should' is illustrative of one of Cummings and his Vote.Leave's major campaign thrusts; that we could leave the EU but still retain all the benefits of membership. This fooled enough of the don't knows to tip the vote into the 52/42 win for leave."

Do you agree with that, as well?

Edit: I now need to turn my attention to other pursuits; so you've plenty of time to think of a response.

No I don't agree with the majority of your posts I just pointed out that it was you that stated

""I think it is fair to say that most of those who voted were already pro or anti EU before the referendum was even thought of"

As for Desperation I think you win the award 

Are you trying to change the result of the 2016 eu referendum that took place over 4 years ago

If you are Good Luck can't see it happening myself

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Phulublub said:

From where?  And how much will the transport costs add?  And the time to reach market for perishables not a concern?  And given just how much is transported by sea, will the UK suddenly find vastly more port capacity?

But hey, you knew what you were voting for.

PH

Many of these products are already available. Australian and Chilean wine for example. Japanese and Korean cars. Now the competition for these EU equivalent products will be higher due to the increased levy on EU goods. If UK citizens still want to pay the extra for French wine that's OK, more tax for the UK government to collect and subsidize other UK industries as we see fit.

I've never known a Lexus perish due to sea transportation. But hey, the Germans don't need to sell luxury cars to the UK do they?

In fact, not much of this is perishable? But hey, the EU doesn't need to sell this stuff.

image.png.a5bb8b0192d5ce591e56b2b63d99cf56.png

I knew what I was voting for.

image.png.f5cf92e558111fa8c92eda89dac4d7e7.png

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Has it?

From what I can see the EU has been consistent throughout the negotiations. The terms for access to the single market were made clear BEFORE the referendum. You guys just chose to pretend that you were more important than the entire EU. That somehow the EU needed the UK more than we needed them. Easiest trade deal in history. German car manufacturers. Dunkirk spirit. They dont like it up em. ????

All that bluff. All that bluster. All that false bravado. Where did it get you?

Oh yeah thats right.

Nowhere.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, are you confused again ???? , or have you replied to the wrong post, as I and another were discussing 750,000,000,000 euros that has to be found to bolster the EU's problems. ????

Edited by transam

12 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Its 3 seperate transactions

1) Scotland independence from the Uk - If the  EU requested to be involved the UK would tell the EU where to go

2) Scotland seperation terms between UK and Scotland - Once again if EU requested to be involved the UK would tell the EU where to go

3) Scotland  eu accession process discussions between Scotland and the EU UK not involved

Not to mention Scotland fails many of the requirements for EU membership. So unless the EU breaks their own rules on membership they might be left out on a limb, truly independent as they like to pretend they want.

Well I say truly independent with tongue firmly in cheek. They would still be using the pound, much like Ecuador using the dollar, so they'd have the Bank of England setting their monetary policy including interest rates. True independence. As one commentator said, "enslaved by the pound and tied to the apron strings of London".

Still, they know what they're voting for.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and where would that be. Poland? China? North Korea? come on mate, open your eyes, get real. Maybe you don't live in the UK but your acquaintances and/or relatives do, they would be the ones hit hard with all the new import duties

Being hit hard was 1940, we got over that and moved on ......????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Not your question, but of just a little bit more relevence to UK inhabitants

Gosh that IS a big number isn't it.  Sadly for any scare factor, so is the number of people in the EU - about 446,000,000.  So under €2 each.  I think they may be able to manage to find that without the UK.

PH

Its 750 Billion bailout not 750 million. So for 450 million inhabitants that's 1666 Euros per person, not 2 Euros.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not to mention Scotland fails many of the requirements for EU membership. So unless the EU breaks their own rules on membership they might be left out on a limb, truly independent as they like to pretend they want.

Well I say truly independent with tongue firmly in cheek. They would still be using the pound, much like Ecuador using the dollar, so they'd have the Bank of England setting their monetary policy including interest rates. True independence. As one commentator said, "enslaved by the pound and tied to the apron strings of London".

Still, they know what they're voting for.????

Thanks for that. When I was in Ecuador they were using the Sucre, didn't know it had changed since.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thanks for that. When I was in Ecuador they were using the Sucre, didn't know it had changed since.

Yes, officially since 2000.

An interesting article which also confirms what I said about Scotland's continued deference to the Bank of England if they left the UK. They would join the likes of Ecuador, Zimbabwe and El Salvador in countries that use another's currency. 

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/eric-schnurer/2014/05/02/why-ecuador-and-other-states-dont-use-their-own-money#:~:text=Like about a dozen other,just uses the U.S. dollar.&text=That makes it very simple,to the foreign exchange window.

image.png.1c95a33b93e2ef3b74816e4a9f5eb177.png

image.png.75879e0c30090892a01a9c8296deb8fd.png

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stevenl said:

With your frequent references to WWII, you apparently didn't get over it, nor did you move on.

I have personal reasons, which stay with me, plus in the UK we are reminded of the useless carnage every year on the 11th of November, is that OK with you...?

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not a bailout, it’s a stimulus package. 

Banks get bailouts, economies get cash injections to increase economic activity.

Bailout? Recovery fund? Cash injection? Stimulus package? Semantics.

My point was that it's 1666 Euros per man, woman and child across the bloc. Not 2 Euros.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No it’s not semantics.

I recommend some reading on economics, it will help you engage in informed discussion on the subject.

I guess the Europhiles favourite source of news The Guardian is also uninformed, seeing as they also refer to it as a bailout since (you guessed it) the EU has agreed a "bailout package".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/26/eu-bailout-deal-union-rich-members-helping-poor

image.png.0603c19b180111e0cab846cda47e7eea.png

Your pedantry aside, my point remains that it's not 2 Euros per head, it's 1666 Euros per man, woman and child. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who’s this ‘we’ you are referring to?

I’m very proud of the part members of my family played in WWII and I’m extremely grateful for the sacrifices and bravery of millions of people from across the globe who fought and defeated fascism, but I had no part in it, I can’t and won’t say ‘we’ in reference to the sacrifice of those people.

You of course might have taken part in that war against fascism, if so you have my unending gratitude, if not quit with the ‘we’ and quit using the sacrifice of millions of people as a cheap prop to your nationalist points of view.

"We" is a term I use for the UK populace of the time or at any time for that matter, do you have a problem with that or are you just nitpicking...?

During WW2 my dad was a RSM class 1, my mum worked on Mosquito fighter plane stuff, that was after being bombed out of two houses.

Fascism you refer to was the German government of the day, as well as the other axis fascist country governments, remember, they were political parties..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Hardly anything about Scotland in that, not very objective, article. The Euro seems the most logical choice at that point. So Scotland would be joining Germany, Netherlands and others as not having their own currency.

How quickly do you think they could start using the Euro after leaving the UK? 

Changing currency is a huge undertaking. Not as easy as a trip to SuperRich I'm afraid. They'd be using the pound for years, and subject to the interest rates and monetary policy that the Bank of England set for them.

No way around it.