Brexit talks still stuck because EU is asking too much, UK says

snoop1130

2 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

If the Pound goes down in value and you are living in Thailand, your spending power will drop.

Well worth it long as we're out of the EU. Doesn't bother me. We've had 4 years to prepare. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Have you missed this, Singapore and Vietnam....?

Welcome news.  However, it will hardly replace the loss of a FTA with the EU27. The latter accounts for >40% of our trading volume; Singapore and Vietnam, +/- 0.5%.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Welcome news.  However, it will hardly replace the loss of a FTA with the EU27. The latter accounts for >40% of our trading volume; Singapore and Vietnam, +/- 0.5%.

It's a good start, others will follow when the new year begins, just my guess...????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

It's a good start, others will follow when the new year begins, just my guess...????

The EU and the US (+/-18%) account for close to 60% of our trading volume. China and India are the most significant developing markets.

We appear to have burnt our bridges with the EU and China. India is lukewarm about its relationship with us. A trade deal with us is way down the list of priorities for the incoming US administration. It is difficult to see how a substantial trade deal with any of these countries will happen in the near future.

With the greatest respect to the likes of Singapore and Vietnam, their importance to the UK is miniscule. We are left looking around for scrapes.

I really wish a Brexit supporter could explain to me, how tearing up a FTA with our biggest and closest trading partner is in our interest in either the short, medium or long term.

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

No idea

Brexit no deal happens

Next election Tories allow Labour to be voted in ????

That might have been a 'tongue in cheek' comment(?), but imo it contains more than an element of truth.

The Tories might not 'allow' Labour to win, but the Tory grandees probably wouldn't be too unhappy about losing in 2024. Whoever wins that election faces a thankless task dealing with the fallout from Brexit and Covid.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RayC said:

That might have been a 'tongue in cheek' comment(?), but imo it contains more than an element of truth.

The Tories might not 'allow' Labour to win, but the Tory grandees probably wouldn't be too unhappy about losing in 2024. Whoever wins that election faces a thankless task dealing with the fallout from Brexit and Covid.

Hopefully the UK will have made a recovery by the next general election in 2024

4 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

As I said "for all you British Retirees living in Thailand". What about the GBPs that you have to covert to Thai Baht? That's going to make a huge difference. On the upside of course, the cost of Imported PG Tips, Marmite and Digestive Biscuits may be cheaper. Great.

All of independent means with income streams in various currencies. If you haven't and would like to start yet another moan about deleted pensions, it's probably better you go home. 

• Like 1

I really wish you would explain why you keep spouting doom and gloom when you have absolutely no idea what the future holds.

Of course I can't predict the future, but I can read and analyse data, and then reach a conclusion as to what I think are the most likely outcomes. Based on the information I've seen, I cannot see how leaving the EU with 'No deal' is in either my personal, or the country's, interest.

Plus you have forgotten that the UK voted twice to get out of the EU.

I have not forgotten it. As I have said time and again, I accept it. What was, and still is,  required of 'Leave' supporters is to accept accountability and responsibility for implementing that mandate. That has not happened and is still not happening.

Perhaps it's time for you to stop worrying,

See first paragraph.

and if you are a Brit,

Yes I am a Londoner (Brixton/ Camberwell).

Will you please do me the courtesy of stopping the multi-ID accusations. It is tedious. I post under this name only. Thank you.

you will not have to build an Anderson shelter anytime soon, just a green house for your tom's.......????

Growing up, we had an old shelter in the yard!

One of the disadvantages of living in a flat in London is that we barely have room on the balcony for one tomato plant, let alone a greenhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A day for predictions it seems. Mine is that Johnson will not adhere to this deadline and the negotiations will continue for some days yet.  He hasn't got the guts to call time on it and is still desperately hoping for a deal.  Actually the right thing to do but it does make him look pretty pathetic given all the bravado he has pushed for so long.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

A day for predictions it seems. Mine is that Johnson will not adhere to this deadline and the negotiations will continue for some days yet.  He hasn't got the guts to call time on it and is still desperately hoping for a deal.  Actually the right thing to do but it does make him look pretty pathetic given all the bravado he has pushed for so long.

After four years of talking and negotiations , its time to realise there will not be an agreement and to both walk away

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We havent "torn up the FTA" though , we  just dont agree with what the E.U is offering .

That doesn't answer my question: How will trading under WTO rules with the EU, rather than the current FTA, be more advantageous for the UK in either short medium or long-term?

(My definition of timescales; redefine them if you wish. ST: next 2 years; MT: 2 - 10 years; LT: > 10 years)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Any tips for the horses tomorrow?

BBC News - Brexit trade talks: UK and EU to 'go the extra mile' in effort to agree deal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55292890

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Loiner said:

We are not in the EU anymore. These are our own UK deals with other countries for next month onwards. 

Didn’t somebody say that no other countries would make Trade Deals with us? Other countries obviously also think the EU is asking too much and are happy with our Internal Markets Bill too. 

My point was these deals did not change the context of the event discussed. Deals befor Brexit same (or similar) deals after Brexit. No change that could have any consequence.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

You point is dulled by not actually making a point.

Deals previously made between these countries and the EU are useless to U.K. post Brexit. Therefore we are making lots of new ones. 

Don't you understand what I wrote or do you just pretend you don't?

On 12/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, snoop1130 said:

“The EU still wants to take the lion’s share of the fishing in our waters - which is just not fair given that we are leaving the EU,” Michael Gove, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and a senior ally of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, told Sky.

How the EU view UK waters:
- Fish are treated as EU property.
- Illegal immigrants in dinghies are treated as UK property.