Jump to content

More than 80 Thais who worked at Myanmar hotel linked to COVID-19 outbreak skipped quarantine


rooster59

Recommended Posts

More than 80 Thais who worked at Myanmar hotel linked to COVID-19 outbreak skipped quarantine

 

download.jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

 

More than 80 Thais who worked at a hotel in Myanmar at the centre of a recent COVID-19 outbreak sneaked back into Thailand illegally and avoided quarantine.

 

The management of the 1G1-7 Hotel, which is located in Tachileik just 1.5 kilometres from the official border checkpoint at Mae Sai, said it employed 180 Thai women.

 

The National News Bureau of Thailand on Friday reported that 84 of the women have returned to Thailand, mostly via illegal natural crossings along the porous border. Many of the women are understood to have skipped the mandatory quarantine procedures for anyone entering Thailand. 

 

Many of the Thai women who worked at 1G1-7 are understood to be sex workers with the hotel frequented by Myanmar VIPs, including top ranking military personnel.

 

At the time of publishing, Thailand has linked at least 14 COVID-19 cases to the hotel, including three cases in Chiang Mai, seven in Chiang Rai and one each in Bangkok, Phayao, Phichit and Ratchaburi.

 

On Friday, Thailand’s Disease Control Department confirmed one of the cases was that of a 51-year woman, from Singburi province, who travelled on the same flight as a Thai bar worker, who snuck back to Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai from Tachilek.

The bar worker had taken the same flight to Don Mueang as the woman from Singburi.

 

Also on Friday, health officials in Chiang Mai confirmed that a 32 year old local man who had recently returned to the city after being employed as a DJ at the 1G1-7 Hotel had tested positive for COVID-19. 

 

Earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the full force of the law will be used against those who returned to Thailand illegally, evaded quarantine and caused the recent spike in cases in the country.

 

Describing the illegal returnees as “selfish”, Mr Anutin said: “That should not have happened. The selfishness of a few people troubles many other Thai people. Although immigration is being restricted, the group of people sneaked through the border at will. They violated laws,

 

“I ordered provincial health officials through disease control committees chaired by provincial governors to file complaints to take all possible legal action against the group of people. We are about to reopen the country but now measures must be reviewed.”
 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-05
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.. Thailand unbelievable good luck dodging the brunt of the Covid pandemic is about to come to an end it seems and specially now in the holidays season where every one is traveling to the north and the northeast, god saves us all, and whoever let let happen should be held responsible...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it somehow naive to expect that all people will follow COVID rules and regulations by themselves? And there is not much that can be done. You can punish some but you can't stop such a behavior completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me wonder whether at least some of the punters are well to do, connected Thais also entering Myanmar and re-entering Thailand illegally. Otherwise why employ so many Thai women? (could be I'm just naive about the whole thing)

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Makes me wonder whether at least some of the punters are well to do, connected Thais also entering Myanmar and re-entering Thailand illegally. Otherwise why employ so many Thai women? (could be I'm just naive about the whole thing)

Surely you are not suggesting that the wealthy Thais who have for years crossed without impedance to this and other "resorts" to gamble and get a leg over (there is a reason why they are within sight of the border) are continuing to do so, despite the Covid restrictions? Shame on you. The steady flow of SUVs and smart motor cars into the 'Golden Triangle" at weekends is for the hill tribe fabric and wood carving markets don't you know! Just take a glance at the riverside car parks at Chiang Saen, so handy for the long tailed boat landing stages on the Ruak River...

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read that this place "employed" 180 (!!!) Thai females, I immediately knew what sort of "employment" the majority of them pursued most likely. It couldn't be any other way, could it? Luckily, the article confirmed that only two paragraphs down.

 

The true purpose of that alleged "hotel" also becomes very apparent the moment you lay eyes on its garish, kitschy, over-the-top facade. There is no doubt that this is foremost a casino-cum-brothel. A veritable honkytonk just across the border.

 

The principal investors are Chinese... and... and... and who? No prize for guessing here, of course.

 

And although the article quite openly mentions that this "hotel" is "frequented by Myanmar VIPs, including top ranking military personnel", it completely fails to disclose that the "other" regular main clientele consists of - let's re-use the above phrase, shall we? -  "Thai VIPs, including top ranking military personnel."

 

Well, at least that was the case before the Covid crisis struck. Because surely, EVERY Thai VIP returning from a little gambling-and-fornication sojourn across the border nowadays MUST go into quarantine. Right???????? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Many of the Thai women who worked at 1G1-7 are understood to be sex workers with the hotel frequented by Myanmar VIPs, including top ranking military personnel.

So it could be that Covid is now spreading nicely among the Myanmar hierarchy. I find myself smiling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

 "Thai VIPs, including top ranking military personnel."

Conversation:
Mr Thai VIP:  "Darling, I think I might get a Covid test.  Could you drive me to the clinic this afternoon?"
Mrs Thai VIP:  "Why do you need a test, darling?  You only visited your mother at the weekend didn't you?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

When I read that this place "employed" 180 (!!!) Thai females, I immediately knew what sort of "employment" the majority of them pursued most likely. It couldn't be any other way, could it? Luckily, the article confirmed that only two paragraphs down.

 

The true purpose of that alleged "hotel" also becomes very apparent the moment you lay eyes on its garish, kitschy, over-the-top facade. There is no doubt that this is foremost a casino-cum-brothel. A veritable honkytonk just across the border.

 

The principal investors are Chinese... and... and... and who? No prize for guessing here, of course.

 

And although the article quite openly mentions that this "hotel" is "frequented by Myanmar VIPs, including top ranking military personnel", it completely fails to disclose that the "other" regular main clientele consists of - let's re-use the above phrase, shall we? -  "Thai VIPs, including top ranking military personnel."

 

Well, at least that was the case before the Covid crisis struck. Because surely, EVERY Thai VIP returning from a little gambling-and-fornication sojourn across the border nowadays MUST go into quarantine. Right???????? 

 

Thanks for the unsubstantiated and pointless conjecture.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

... The steady flow of SUVs and smart motor cars into the 'Golden Triangle" at weekends is for the hill tribe fabric and wood carving markets don't you know! Just take a glance at the riverside car parks at Chiang Saen, so handy for the long tailed boat landing stages on the Ruak River...

 

Pictures or it never... etc., etc..

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, potless said:
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Many of the Thai women who worked at 1G1-7 are understood to be sex workers with the hotel frequented by Myanmar VIPs, including top ranking military personnel.

So it could be that Covid is now spreading nicely among the Myanmar hierarchy. I find myself smiling.

 

If the "fat army generals from Yangon" allegation proves true, then it's hardly surprising since Yangon is already the most infected place on Myanmar and probably where the Tachileik cluster was hatched from. Domestic travel is heavily curtailed and Myanmar recently extended its international AND domestic flight ban through end of this month, December. However, about 13,000 domestic flight operations have been carried out since the 'grounding' last April so maybe easy enough for military and hi-so types to fly as cargo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Isn't it somehow naive to expect that all people will follow COVID rules and regulations by themselves? And there is not much that can be done. You can punish some but you can't stop such a behavior completely.

Put a few in jail for a couple of years and make sure everyone knows about it. Should deter others from crossing illegally and dodging quarantine

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

 

Pictures or it never... etc., etc..

You may of course be sceptical, you may refuse to accept what is something of an "open secret" up here, that is entirely your business -"up to you" as they say. I am not however going to ride 30 km to take pictures of high end cars in parking lots adjacent to the boat landing stages. Not least because the "security guards" who watch over these cars are likely to react less than kindly to me doing so!

 

The "Golden Triangle" is no longer the lawless "Wild West" of legend, but there are still some things which flourish "beyond the law" as it were.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the full force of the law will be used against those who returned to Thailand illegally, evaded quarantine and caused the recent spike in cases in the country.

Poor sods , 500 baht fine and a Wai.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes.. Thailand unbelievable good luck dodging the brunt of the Covid pandemic is about to come to an end it seems and specially now in the holidays season where every one is traveling to the north and the northeast, god saves us all, and whoever let let happen should be held responsible...

Shame that 'god' is charge of everything so made the virus happen as well, but, I suppose he still loves everybody?

😆😆😆😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this spreads throughout Thailand than the tourist industry can completely forget about any potential return for a couple years

What a fiasco to say the least

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I just hope there is no farangs involved, the Thai government would milk it for all they could get

How could there be? A farang leaves Thailand, they can't get back in legally. How many would have the language skills to negotiate with people smugglers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...