European neighbours shut doors to Britain amid alarm over new coronavirus strain

webfact

European neighbours shut doors to Britain amid alarm over new coronavirus strain

By Angus MacSwan

2020-12-20T155641Z_2_LYNXMPEGBJ09X_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BELGIUM-AIRPORT.JPG

Passengers wearing face masks stand at the Zaventem International Airport as Belgium eases restrictions aimed to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, near Brussels, Belgium June 15, 2020. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's European neighbours began closing their doors to travellers from the United Kingdom on Sunday amid alarm about a rapidly spreading strain of coronavirus that has caused cases to soar there.

France said it would bar all people coming from the United Kingdom for 48 hours from Sunday night, including freight carriers, whether by road, air, sea or rail.

Germany, Italy and the Netherlands ordered a suspension of flights from Britain, while Ireland said it would impose restrictions on flights and ferries from its neighbour.

Belgium said it would close its borders to flights and trains - including the popular Eurostar service - coming from the United Kingdom.

"The COVID variant recently discovered in London is worrying and will need to be investigated by our scientists," Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said.

After the UK announced that a new coronavirus strain has led to spiraling infection numbers, several European countries imposed travel restrictions on Britain. Maha Albadrawi reports.

"In the meantime we choose the path of maximum prudence."

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Saturday that the new strain had led to spiralling infection numbers.

His government tightened its COVID-19 restrictions for London and nearby areas, and also reversed plans to ease restrictions over the Christmas period.

The travel curbs also compound problems for the United Kingdom as it finally exits the European Union on Dec. 31 after a transition period this year. London and Brussels have so far failed to reach a post-Brext trade deal, raising the prospect of chaos in goods traffic.

The German government said all flights from the United Kingdom would be suspended from midnight.

"It (the virus mutation) has not yet been identified in Germany," Health Minister Jens Spahn told public broadcaster ARD. "But of course we take the reports from Britain very seriously."

Belgian Prime Minister Alexander de Croo said the ban on incoming travel from Britain covers Eurostar services via the Channel Tunnel and will take effect for at least 24 hours from midnight on Sunday, broadcaster VRT said.

The Italian order blocked any flights departing from Britain and prohibited anyone who had transited through it in the last 14 days from entering Italy.

The Netherlands banned flights carrying passengers from the United Kingdom from Sunday and the restrictions will remain in place until Jan. 1, the Dutch government said.

Austria is also planning to ban flights from Britain, the APA news agency said, citing the health ministry. Sweden said it was preparing a decision to ban entry from the United Kingdom.

Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic also announced plans to bar flights from the United Kingdom.

LAST TICKETS

At London's St. Pancras International station, the terminal for Eurostar, thousands of travellers tried to secure places on trains.

"We got the last two tickets for today," said a Frenchman named Leny. "We each respectively had tickets for Monday and Tuesday. But given the situation and what is happening we didn't want to take any risk. And we were the last to be able to do so."

The new variant in Britain has added a twist to a battle against the virus that many countries in Europe are waging.

The number of coronavirus cases in Britain surged by 35,928 on Sunday, the highest daily rise since the start of the pandemic, and it recorded 326 deaths, taking the official toll to more than 67,000.

In addition to the measures announced for England, the United Kingdom's other nations, who control their own anti-coronavirus policies, tightened restrictions. Scotland has imposed a ban on travel to the rest of the United Kingdom.

(Reporting by Reuters bureaus; Writing by Angus MacSwan; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-21

this is a disaster

there are few good sides, but that will stimulate and test the huge car parks and Portaloos installed for Brexit

The government has already accepted that the absence of sanitary facilities in Kent for lorry drivers is an issue with plans to put in Portaloos for Brexit.

Medical supplies and other essential goods will still cross, that could actually help Belgian Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines getting through

Eurotunnel said trains would still be running services from France to the UK that were vital for medical supplies and other essential goods.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/20/frances-covid-freight-ban-to-have-devastating-effect-on-uk-sector-warns

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

By Angus MacSwan

2020-12-20T155641Z_2_LYNXMPEGBJ09X_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BELGIUM-AIRPORT.JPG

Passengers wearing face masks stand at the Zaventem International Airport as Belgium eases restrictions aimed to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, near Brussels, Belgium June 

“Passengers wearing face masks”?

Well, I only see one person wearing a mask, and the guy wearing a chin warmer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Um, in case anyone was wondering, viruses mutate all the time, that's why we get new influenza vaccines annually, i.e. to keep up with the mutations.

Now this mutation wouldn't be something new, it could be that its a more dominant strain or a weaker strain, so the media scaremongering doesn't help, fact of the matter is, some mutations don't have any effect on the virus, some become a more dominant strain, but from what I have heard the mutation/s are pretty standard stuff, but the scaremongering is still being ramped up of course thanks to the media having free rein as usual.

I need some fresh air, so I am off to open a window.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

New strain? And this new strain originated in the U.K.? ????. Nothing to do with Poliyics of course. The U.K. and most of Europe is in lockdown anyway . 

"New strain?"

Yes, new strain.

"And this new strain originated in the U.K.?"

I don't think the origin of this new strain is known yet, what is known is there are many cases in the UK, and just a few in mainland Europe.

"Nothing to do with Poliyics of course."

Agree,, I think nothing to do with politics. IMO a panic reaction that will be changed soon, allowing transport through again. People I don't think so for the moment, but who knows.

"The U.K. and most of Europe is in lockdown anyway . "

A lockdown that is in many places half hearted at best, letting people and goods in and out, almost as pleased.

Edited by stevenl

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"New strain?"

Yes, new strain.

"And this new strain originated in the U.K.?"

I don't think the origin of this new strain is known yet, what is known is there are many cases in the UK, and just a few in mainland Europe.

"Nothing to do with Poliyics of course."

Agree,, I think nothing to do with politics. IMO a panic reaction that will be changed soon, allowing transport through again. People I don't think so for the moment, but who knows.

"The U.K. and most of Europe is in lockdown anyway . "

A lockdown that is in many places half hearted at best, letting people and goods in and out, almost as pleased.

So pleased you agreed with me . ???? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Surely the timing of this ban is at least questionable.... Brexit deadline .... come on . The MSM are already calling it the new U.K. variant ???? 

But anyway shows how vulnerable they could become if really looking for economic confrontation  with example only already the French ...????or other coastal E.U. states big or small ....????

And still claiming their soo precious sovereignty  ????, they don't realize the disadvantage of living on an island and hating your closest neighbor ... 

Edited by david555