Thai PM warns businesses not to hire illegal migrant workers or face closure

snoop1130

Thai PM warns businesses not to hire illegal migrant workers or face closure

prayut.jpg

All employers in Thailand have been sternly warned not to hire illegal migrant workers, or face closure, by the country’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha today (Monday).

He also urged members of the public to alert officials if they encounter illegal migrant workers and provincial officials are to conduct random health screenings of migrant workers in their respective provinces.

He said that the new COVID-19 outbreak indicates that there are loopholes in the enforcement of regulations and health safety guidelines, allowing illegal migrants to enter Thailand and obtain work.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-warns-businesses-not-to-hire-illegal-migrant-workers-or-face-closure/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-12-21

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, starky said:

This is like Murica and the Mexicans. Whos gonna do all the <deleted>ty jobs Thais wont do if not for their cheap immigrant labor force.

thats why like soldiers , vip  and others have a natural imunity did u not know that?

Maybe Prayut and his cronies are well advised to physically check, what it can take to legally employ an ASEAN citizen under the AEC2015 rules. Forget the maze for the dirty farang, aka "alien", I talk about ASEAN citizen. 

We ultimately sold our F&B business three years ago (good luck for that) because the bureaucracy just brought everything to a screeching halt. I burnt three HR managers who just walked away from all this paper avalanche including three photographs of the house number (the house and, separately, the house number as well) of the place of work for each and every non-Thai ASEAN citizen we wanted to hire! 

Mission (almost) impossible - by experience. We wanted (and ultimately got there) to hire Philippine servants and an Indonesian cook for our restaurant back in the day in Pattaya, as we simply could not find any Thais with sufficient English in service or willingness to earn THB 20K in the kitchen. Who in this country wants to carry 50kgs heavy sacks of rice, peel shrimps for eight hours a day or can pineapples? Certainly not Khon Thai!

The labour department in Cholburi flatly refused to allocate the (legal) quota we were entitled and referred to the "agents waiting outside the very same office offering their head hunting services for THB 25K per person " (most likely relatives of those pr1cks inside the building).

After three failed attempts by my very able HR manager at the time I went there myself andI mentioned to the officer that, unless I would be given the quota here and now, I would take the matter up with Khun Anuchai himself at the department's head office in Bangkok - which made things moving.

I don't know, if there is a Khun Anuchai in Bangkok working there, but the officer in Cholburi had no clue either and the trick worked and I got the quota with a few minutes without any "handling" or "processing" fee. The extension a year later was related to a detailed work description by the alien in writing, in Thai language. That's when I decided to sell the whole lot three years ago. 

The problem is, that the government breathing down the industry with all sorts of threats is the same bunch of officers putting all possible brakes on developing this country. One step forward, three backwards ..... Go figure ........

• Thanks 1