Thai road carnage: "Nan Model" shock tactics hailed in stopping repeat DUI offenders

webfact

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine enforcing them having to pay the full hospital charge incurred by their victims and all the car replacement  costs and reparations to the injured before ever being released from prison would be a better incentive. 

Way better but when some of them have "nothing"  what do you take..............has to be their  liberty, but then again I think all prisoners  should  be made to work and earn their  keep, plenty of roadside verges  need  attention by me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thats not adding the ones that die later

Surely it would not be too difficult for the authorities to total all road deaths whether at the scene, on the way to hospital or in hospital. Perhaps the death toll might be double if they did that? 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

I don't believe that I'm the only one who drinks, does stuff we regret, then when sober swear we are reformed and would never do it again.... until the next time we're drunk.

Were these 90% surveyed many months afterwards, or as they walked out of the hospital? Were they surveyed when sober, or after a few beers?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

BBN also reported that Thai consumption of alcohol per capita was down from 7.14 liters per person per year in 2016 to 6.86 liters in 2019. 

So what does that mean? That they put a little less soda in their whisky? That they topped up their beer with a little lemonade (shandy)?

Surely the number of units of alcohol would be a more sensible metric?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

How could they possibly know this!  Are all these offenders breathalyzed every time they drive their vehicles?  

I get your point, but they mean none of them got caught again for the same offence. Not quite so impressive as the headline makes out, I know.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Surely it would not be too difficult for the authorities to total all road deaths whether at the scene, on the way to hospital or in hospital. Perhaps the death toll might be double if they did that? 

Why? They just love to muddy the water!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

So far 308 people convicted of DUI have taken part. Nearly 90% said they had stopped drink driving. 10.3% said they had quit drinking altogether.

That's a p!sspoor statement  308 people out of Millions of Drunking drivers .

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Not a single person has reoffended in the last four years of the campaign . 

If they show their "i have been CURED of drink driving" certificate at check points, they do not get breathalysed

19 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Said...... ????

I had to go to one of these types of classes, as I worked in bars for 20+ yrs and got busted in my 20s

Is def sad and makes you feel guilty...I never injured myself of others, but got snarky with cops while drunk

I eventually got out of the bar life, got tired of probation officers, classes, meetings, judges, lawyers,

fines, interlock in my car, <deleted> tests, and its $$$$$...get caught and its about 10K usd and  your freedom gone, jail sucks and weekly reporting for 3 yrs..pay for classes -interlock--testing--PO officers--lawyers--fines--Ins

So they are still drinking but now all of a sudden they exactly know when to stop drinking so they are not legally drunk?

people aren’t that smart...no different than the abuser who says “ I promise you I won’t hit you again”

Driving success can only be measured by those who stop drinking outside the home....