Thai cops struggling under debt totalling Bt270bn, says police chief

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Olivie said:

I know someone who had a bar in Phuket, he was paying the police 3000€  ($3.500) each month just to let him sell chicha to his customers...

3,000 bhat per day tea money just for chicha is a lot. How much was he selling per day per person? 

1 minute ago, JeffersLos said:

3,000 bhat per day tea money just for chicha is a lot. How much was he selling per day per person? 

if I remember the price, each chicha was 350-400 baht, some were more expensive than that. Mostly french customers, they like it.

My next door neighbors are a 50ish Mom and her 20 something daughter. The daughter has a Thai policeman boyfriend who stays over a couple of nights a week. He looks to be about 30, maybe younger. He usually parks across from our house just because we are at the end of the Soi and there is extra space there. I have noted no fewer than 4 different vehicles he routinely uses, 1 large truck, 1 small Jeep-like sport vehicle, a big white luxury sedan and a smaller black Honda.

I imagine he's got a plum assignment somehwhere...unless this is all borrowed money ?

Edited by tonray

The problem is a lack of shady trees along the highways, how can you setup a road block to extort motorists if the there is not a shady tree to relax under? Try booking motocy riders not wearing helmets, no licences, kids riding mocy's, drunk drivers, speeding drivers, lazy cops! Just try being a police force, I know it's almost impossible as they really don't understand the concept but it just might be worth some long promised reform! ????

• Like 1

So on average, a cop has THB 1,291,866 of debt.  If this were only for newly borrowed home loans including interest for a 30 year loan, a cop would need THB 3,589/month to pay for the loan.   If the cop has no home loan debt, but bought a reasonable, not expensive car and this is all the bank debt, a 6 year loan, if this includes interest would need to pay the bank back THB 17,942/month.

Has Covid really done that much damage to cop salaries from the govt?

11 hours ago, TVGerry said:

If you can't afford it, why are you buying large items like cars and houses in the first place?

I would’ve thought most people in Thailand have a ( loan) mortgage for their house.

I expect this debt is included in their total debt

This is a real bold statement want to help by asking the government to support their families while the general population goes hungry and homeless? Open business for the wives and scholarships for the their kids?  ????  I guess everyone else is chop liver?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

In the soi that our bar is in there must be at least another 40. At 1k a month it is a heavy loss, especially when you add in the other areas.

I have an idea though......get out on the streets, stop and fine people for traffic infringements, the usual motorbikes etc. Throw in a pile of unroadworthy cars, bald tyres, overloading, illegal parking, no number plates, driving the wrong way, jumping lights, no tax, no licence,  speeding, loud exhausts, excess exhaust fumes, driving with no lights, etc, etc.

Issue tickets, and collect the fines legally, then use the money to improve salaries, job prospects on merit, not graft or family connections. You might just obtain a semi professional force in a decade or so.

Having said all that, the down side would be a less relaxed Thailand that many of us here secretly relish, 

Dont be giving them idea's I like it the way it is

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

In the soi that our bar is in there must be at least another 40. At 1k a month it is a heavy loss, especially when you add in the other areas.

I have an idea though......get out on the streets, stop and fine people for traffic infringements, the usual motorbikes etc. Throw in a pile of unroadworthy cars, bald tyres, overloading, illegal parking, no number plates, driving the wrong way, jumping lights, no tax, no licence,  speeding, loud exhausts, excess exhaust fumes, driving with no lights, etc, etc.

Issue tickets, and collect the fines legally, then use the money to improve salaries, job prospects on merit, not graft or family connections. You might just obtain a semi professional force in a decade or so.

Having said all that, the down side would be a less relaxed Thailand that many of us here secretly relish, 

Agree . If they want a sanatised Thailand maybe they  should just go home instead . I enjoy the freedom that Thailand has that the west has completely lost.  

Edited by chrisandsu
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Agree . If they want a sanatised Thailand maybe they  should just go home instead . I enjoy the freedom that Thailand has that the west has completely lost.  

That's right...nobody is going to take away my PM 2.5 !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

God morning from a very nice Udon-Thani!

Well,first you have the Teachers begging for help with their debt payments,and now the police,what's next,staff at the Hospitals i guess.What a joke,policewifes setting up some hole-in-the wall buissness..Ever heard of working OVERTIME..working hard..say 14-16 hours a day..like i did when i opened my bakery.

They just put a a small Policebox not for from were i live,and guess what hanging just infront the P-box..a freaking HAMMOCK..that's a sign in it self..It's patetic just to ask for acually do their work in a proper manner..

"

Another is to look at assets confiscated by the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

He added that he has contacted corporations to request scholarships for police officers’ children.

Should have sad:...request scholarships for police officers.To educate themself so they can do a PROPER Policework..and be abel to seek for higher paid spots/ranks..= more money...hey maybe even learn some English so they can talk whith all these Tourists waiting in the wings to come here and spend some holiday money..ToT just said that 10 millions are standing in queue..Many things can be said regarding the,in many cases,the lack of PROPER education of the Policeforce,and it's not to much POSITIVE thing to say..

Yeah,i know,but read it whith sarcasm in mind,okey ????

Have a great day everyone and thank you for reading my "morning rant";-)

This is what Goggle says. 

A person working as a Police Officer in Thailand typically earns around 60,400 THB per month. Salaries range from 27,800 THB (lowest) to 96,000 THB (highest).

This is the average monthly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Police Officer salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location.

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=215&loctype=1&job=504&jobtype=3

• Like 1

So he is saying ANYONE can start and run a business successfully? If most people try they will increase their debt. Get real dude!

I would be very careful driving and document your every move as much as you can. The spiders are watching you and they are hungry.