Pattaya: German pensioner electrocuted installing ceiling fan

rooster59

Pattaya: German pensioner electrocuted installing ceiling fan

142800735_1232643440466051_5077877034214994910_n.jpg

Image: Siamchonn News

Police captain Phinyalak Sinworawiwat responded after reports that a foreigner had died in a house in the Park Rung Ruang housing estate in Moo 9.

Dead at the scene stuck in a ceiling was 68 year old German national I.J.L.

He had an electrical cord around his leg and a ladder and repair tools were in the area. His body was moved with difficulty.

His girlfriend Jitta, 53, said she had warned him about making repairs but he wouldn't listen. He had climbed up into the crawl space to install a ceiling fan in the bathroom. 

143261869_1232643450466050_6316049914088989909_n.jpg

The circuit breaker had been turned off but there was a spark.

She ran to get the security guard but it was too late.

Police are investigating.

Source: Siamchonn News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-30

• Sad 4

Even if I turned the power off I would still test it to see if it was dead, silly old <deleted> 68 climbing in ceilings 

Edited by metisdead
8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Labor here is so cheap, why do it yourself and take the risk?  Especially at his age.

RIP.

The labor is cheap but also often the quality. What I can do I do myself. Especially when it comes to electricity. Many locals seem to have no knowledge at all. This still seems to be something new for them. If I don't always check the wires before I touch them I would not be able to type this here anymore... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not an electrician, having said that I do know the difference between active, neutral and earth. Although I do not see too many earthed appliances or connections in Thailand.

Any electrical work I ever did, I made damn sure the circuit was dead before doing any work on it. I'd pull the fuses on the mains switchboard to be sure. Then check again.

To quote Clint Eastwood " Man's got to know his limitations".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are many people that have always done and even enjoy doing home improvement projects so its normal for them to continue that here. I'm not one of them but I understand. 

I can find lots of jobs to do at ground level

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes, always use voltage tester if doing anything in Thailand like that, and I know because I've done some work on a few houses here (for friends) and I am a qualified electrical technician.

I was extremely surprised when trying to do a bit of work on an air conditioner in my room, only to find out that no matter which circuit breaker I switched off, the thing would not go dead, so I switched off the main breaker and was just about to work on it when I thought I would test it just for the sake of it, and lo and behold it was still live.

The electrician had fed it from the cables coming in from the pole off the road, even before it got to the distribution board, so it was continuously live, and I was a very lucky boy.

So sad to hear that this man ended his life that way.

Makes you wonder how many houses in Thailand are wired that way, gross incompetence or laziness. Useful to know, thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The circuit breaker had been turned off but there was a spark.

In the first house we lived in, in Udon Thani, even if you knocked the circuit breaker off the circuit was still live! I discovered that the circuit breaker was on the neutral side of the circuit!

Sounds like his house was wired the same.

Edited by Moonlover
Remove reported post

Electricity scares the cr*p out of me. I usually get an electrician to do any work, but if it's small and I know I can fix it quickly, my paranoia makes me throw the main breaker switch so there is no power in the house at all. I also put tape over it so that it can't be switched back on by accident.

• Like 1

I wish I'd photographed the new consumer unit that a (so called) electrician had installed in our house. Luckily I insisted on fully checking it myself before he switch the power back on. It would have probably melted!

I've done some electrical work in my house and it is scary to see what passed (or passes) for workmanship here. Very few places I've been in would ever pass an electrical inspection back home. 
I went through and identified which breakers control what (through a lot of testing) and labelled them. However, if I'm dealing with bare wires I will still test them again just to be sure.

I've had "electricians" in as well. Like when I discovered a couple of the shoddy, cheapest "made in China" circuit breakers were literally crumbling in the electrical panel. Seriously, the electrician pulled them out and handed them to me and they fell apart in my hand like someone had whacked them with a heavy hammer. (That guy made me so nervous I actually had my phone out and the number for Emergencies -1669 - punched in just in case he electrocuted himself or started a fire.)

I think there is a mix up in the news article/translation. The old guy was most likely trying to access the wiring by going through the access panel in the bathroom (which seems to be the common location in a lot of places). No doubt he was trying to wire in that new looking fan in the living room.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The labor is cheap but also often the quality. What I can do I do myself. Especially when it comes to electricity. Many locals seem to have no knowledge at all. This still seems to be something new for them. If I don't always check the wires before I touch them I would not be able to type this here anymore... 

Agreed!  I don't suggest unqualified labor for this.  A proper sparky here isn't that hard to find.  It takes time, but can be done.

But climbing up into the attic to do this?  At his age?  No way.  One of the biggest sources for injuries amongst us older folk.  Ladders!!

RIP to the gentleman and best of luck to his gal.