[VIDEOS] Inside Bang Sue Grand Station: Thailand's new state of the art transportation hub

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

It will consist of  26 platforms and will be able to accommodate Thailand’s existing diesel rolling stock, the new electric trains for which the new dual track railways are currently being constructed throughout Thailand and it will also be a hub for the new high speed trains. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that the double-tracking projects involved electrifying the lines - I was under the impression that the SRT was just providing a safer platform for the same old meter-gauge diesel trains, with electrification as a much longer term goal.

As well accommodating the high speed trains it will also be used for the new electric trains and the older diesel trains used in Thailand, and help to connect the current Airport Rail Link and numerous MRT lines.

If by "numerous" they mean "one", then yes, since only the Blue Line stops there. And if by "current" they mean "future", then also yes, since the current ARL doesn't go to Bang Sue.

It will also help cut commuter times for people in Bangkok, particularly for those living in Rangsit and other surrounding areas

It's the new SRT commuter lines that will do that, not the station that they go to.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of modernizing infrastructure, and I hope this station will be successful. At the moment though, it seems to be the large, modern hub of a decrepit, old fashioned, poorly run train system, and most of the new lines that it's being built to accommodate are still years and years away from being built. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I wonder what they will use it for, between opening to the public in July and trains starting to call in November?

I would be very surprised if there came a day in November when  all trains cease to operate from Hua Lamphong and all trains start to operate out of this shiny new one. That, surely would be a logistical nightmare. I would expect to see a gradual changeover from old to new. 

I hope that the last train out of Hua Lamphong will receive a grand farewell, with a serenade from the military band that has marched in there every morning to play the national anthem. I presume this tradition will continue at Bang Sue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Meanwhile in 99% of the rest of Thailand...

Thailand_3rd_class_train_interior.jpg

Oh memories! I've done Bangkok to Udon Thani a few times in one of these coaches. 'Fan class' they call it. The last one I travelled in had 6 fans, only 2 of which worked. And neither was at my end of carriage!

But they are getting better I've been told.

Edited by Moonlover

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Oh memories! I've done Bangkok to Udon Thani a few times in one of these coaches. 'Fan class' they call it. The last one I travelled in had 6 fans, only 2 of which worked. And neither was at my end of carriage!

But they are getting better I've been told.

And those trains are very cheap - at least for the passengers. 

• Like 1

Looks very nice but apart from MRT lines, the trains departing on national journeys will still be on narrow gauge with the same rolling stock for several years to come before the standard gauge HST to Nong Khai and Chiang Mai are completed. Photo of the current "Rapid" diesel rail cars:-

Image result for photo of thai diesel rail car

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think it's great that Bangkok transportation is catching up with 1970s Europe. Now, as well as integrating trains in one hub, how about the long long l o n g promise of integrating all the forms of transport into one ticket?

Well, I wouldn't really mind too much if the pace of life in Thailand would be like it was 50 years ago. These large scale projects all look the same. And they all resemble the steel gray laminated exteriors of institutional designs for things like prisons. I don't want to live in 2020s Europe or America. I'm only sorry that Thailand seeks to go with all these grandiose projects whose scale is inhuman. I sort of like small and nifty, rather than large and indifferent. 

• Like 1

Typical 21st century...great functionality, POS looks.  At least Hua Lamphong looks like a real train station.  After all, it was modeled on the great European train stations designed by Gustave Eiffel-Gare du Nord, Keleti Pu, etc.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

I would wait a year or two before I try it because I wouldn't feel safe going on it since it is Thai craftsmanship ????????????

"Going on it"??  It's a station.

Anyway best you stay off it and let the people with non bigoted / racist superiority complexes enjoy it.

I take it you don't use the Skytrain, MRT, go up in any building taller than one story, go on any airplane in Thailand etc etc.

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Isn't that what it is?

Sometimes errors happen with a foreign language.

What I mean: this is huge station with close to no long distance/high-speed trains.

Is commuter/suburban railway the right word?

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Isn't that what it is?

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sometimes errors happen with a foreign language.

What I mean: this is huge station with close to no long distance/high-speed trains.

Is commuter/suburban railway the right word?

Ok sorry, I did not realize that English was not your first language. But actually it is destined to be the main station for all trains running in and out of Bangkok.

It will service the commuter trains and long distance trains that currently operate out of Hua Lamphong station. And eventually the new high speed services will use it as well, but that will not be for a few years yet.

So yes, it really is going to be a gigantic city railway station.

4 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that the double-tracking projects involved electrifying the lines - I was under the impression that the SRT was just providing a safer platform for the same old meter-gauge diesel trains, with electrification as a much longer term goal.

When I came back from Malaysia last February there was a significant amount of electrification work on the tracks running into the new station from the south side. Seemed to start around Ratchaburi.

I will be very surprised if there are no electric trains running by the time it goes into use in November.

4 hours ago, khunjeff said:

If by "numerous" they mean "one", then yes, since only the Blue Line stops there. And if by "current" they mean "future", then also yes, since the current ARL doesn't go to Bang Sue.

The Blue Line Bang Sue Station stops near there. I checked with the MRT. At this time, there are no plans to have a connection within the station itself. One will have to walk out to the exiting MRT exits, and walk back to Bangsue Grand Station. Trust me; it's a nasty walk!

Funny thing is that it seems to me that, considering the distance and direction of the walk, the actual MRT platforms are pretty close to being under the new station. 

They are treadying the SRT Red line at this time. That will give access to the MRT Purple Line at Bangson. 

Looks good but my first thought when reading the article was that 26 platforms is a heck of a lot. There are only four or five main lines leaving Bangkok, not including the various junctions to minor stations. 

Is this many platforms really necessary?

• Like 1

"It will consist of  26 platforms and will be able to accommodate Thailand’s existing diesel rolling stock, the new electric trains for which the new dual track railways are currently being constructed throughout Thailand and it will also be a hub for the new high speed trains. "

I hope all these lovely super new trains are on the way. Are they Chinese trains by any chance??

I love the Bangkok- Pattaya in one hour bit.This of course refers to the ride itself, but not to the minor detail of actually getting into town from whatever station this dream train might one day pull into. You can bet there will be no quick and efficient public transport. Instead the usual annoying taxis and an hour more at least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bangon04 said:

I hope all these lovely super new trains are on the way. Are they Chinese trains by any chance??

Ah, more TVF anti Chinese bigotry  by the sound of it.

The ARL trains that will pass through the station (eventually) are Siemens trains and were manufactured in Germany.

The new SRT Red Line trains that will use the station (and are already doing test runs) are Japanese, manufactured by Hitatchi.
The MRT blue line trains that will use the station are also Siemens trains and were manufactured in Austria.

Whenever we get the high speed network they will likely be Chinese but seeing as the Chinese are the world's experts in high speed rail why would that be an issue for you?  Other than casual racism?  

11 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Whenever we get the high speed network they will likely be Chinese but seeing as the Chinese are the world's experts in high speed rail why would that be an issue for you?  Other than casual racism?  

Skepticism of Chinese made is valid if their buses are anything to go by, falling apart here after a few years. The Japanese are the world experts on high speed trains, copied by the Chinese.

• Like 1