Everyone in Thailand should be vaccinated soon, not just Thais.

JohnHans

2 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

What if they want to use the Chinese Vaccine on everybody

Would you have it?

I wouldn't have it for free!

the Chinese vaccine is only 79% effective - lower than that of Pfizer and Moderna, so I would not be happy getting that one.

Sign seen in the Minsitry of Public Health:

The "Plan" will be published tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, JohnHans said:

There should be no discrimination by not including foreigners residing here

Good one.

Will you be here all week? Should we tip the wait-staff?

• Haha 1

You have read about the plan (may remain just that) of a number of business associations in Phuket to fund the acquisition of enough vaccine (does not specify which one(s)) to jab 70% of the population in the province to get tourism going again (maybe together with a proof of prior vaccination for visitors) . Apparently they do not have much faith (neither do I) in the official vaccine strategy. 

• Like 1

I would not count much on the government, because they will have only sinovac for 1mln health workers and later on for 2.5mln per month for risk groups.

if anybody is in a risk group can register with local hospital in hope of being selected.

There would also be coming privately sinovac, for some 500k patients, efficacy is low 52%, but good enough to try. They would charge 3200b for 2 shots.

getting any vax for some 3k will work out cheaper, than high premium insurance and long term health risk from covid infection.

also it would be possible later on to take any other vax, which some other private hospitals will try to bring, for the price 6-10k. Still worth, because protection is for about a year.

each vax works in a different way and would temporarily boost you immune system

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Did they ever say they won't vaccinate foreigners?

Foreigners might not be the first in line, and might not get it for free, but I'm certain that we can get it at some point.

we sure as hell will not be anywhere near first in line ( neither should we be) and as sure as God made little green apples, we will be paying through the nose for it. I still maintain that the Thai government should absolutely insist that the various Embassies arrange for their Nationals in Thailand to be vaccinated.  They won't of course and the Embassies  are less than  hopeless, but that is their clear duty. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohnHans said:

many people have the virus, unfortunately many people suffer silently and die quietly as many people can't go near a hospital because of the cost of medical care.

Testing and treatment for Covid is free for all Thai citizens.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JohnHans said:

There should be no discrimination by not including foreigners residing here in a nationwide vaccination programme, If the government excludes the sizable foreign population, they are going to have a hard time getting rid of the virus, 

It has been mentioned in many articles that they would only need to vaccinate 70% of the population in order to achieve 'herd immunity'. Wikipedia estimate the expat community of the country to be just under 4%, so even if we are left out, which personally I doubt, vaccinating the Thai population only should be sufficient to rid the country of the virus.

Besides, why should they have a hard time getting rid of the virus? They've already managed it once.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, faraday said:

Certainly not Thai people; there is the '30 baht scheme'.

As for us farang, we should pay for the vaccine, but whether it's a reasonable cost, remains to be seen.

I am sure that Anutin has a plan for us....

30 Baht scheme is only for people working, I had it before (worked for Thai companies for 30 years) now i am retired I can't get the card, Thai people also, as soon as you retire you don't get any help. Many people have lost their jobs and are unemployed, there is no help and no 30 B Card. 

Please tell me why "us Farangs" should pay? 

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Sign seen in the Minsitry of Public Health:

The "Plan" will be published tomorrow.

Good one.

Will you be here all week? Should we tip the wait-staff?

Please explain, I don't understand your comment?

evidence shows that the vaccination, while efficient in giving personal protection, is not good for general protection of the whole population.

one reason is that children up to 16 years old are not allowed to get the vaccine. so they can keep on spreading the virus, allthough not getting so much sick (this is also changing with the new mutations).

anoter reason might be that the vaccines are just not good enough, and do not cover all the new kinds

of mutations and variations. the whole proccess is accttually under investigation now, and the experts

simply do not know if the vaccines are any good. some say loud that the only solution is herd immunity, which means open everything and let as many people as possible to get infected.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It has been mentioned in many articles that they would only need to vaccinate 70% of the population in order to achieve 'herd immunity'. Wikipedia estimate the expat community of the country to be just under 4%, so even if we are left out, which personally I doubt, vaccinating the Thai population only should be sufficient to rid the country of the virus.

Besides, why should they have a hard time getting rid of the virus? They've already managed it once.

Not really 70%, with the UK variant this has risen to ca 85% but these data apply to Ro values where everybody is susceptible. In real-life you have to deal with Rt which is influenced heavily by restrictive measures such as distancing, masks, travel restrictions. How do you think they got the Rt below 1 in countries that pushed down the first, second, third waves when vaccination was not available? To make it even more complex, a significant number of the population in some countries now has had COVID (estimated to be about 20+ % in the US), IF these are immune, the percentage that needs to be vaccinated will go down (but at present if you have had COVID does not exclude you from vaccination).  

There are practical problems too: look at Israel, approx. 30% of the population is aged 15 or less so under present regulations they cannot be vaccinated. Same goes for pregnant women,...and then there are the antivaxxers. Now some of the people in these groups may have acquired natural immunity by now but there is a question what the coverage is if you add up immunity acquired by either vaccination or previous infection (IF this results in immunity). Then vaccines are not 100% effective (but the calculation of 70 or 85% or whatever does assume 100% effectiveness). So apart from vaccination, (some)restrictive measures will have to stay in place. 

The straitstimes (Singapore) had an article on the (lack of) vaccination in SE Asia and surrounding countries and a crude estimate -based on present projections- of when 60% of the population will have been vaccinated. It is not a pretty sight. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/as-south-east-asia-embarks-on-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-logistics-regulatory-bottlenecks

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:43 AM, jackdd said:

That's wrong. The 30 THB scheme is especially for people who are not covered by social security.

You could have continued making the social security payments yourself (a few hundred baht per month) after you stopped working, then you would still be covered under social security. It sounds like you failed to do this, so now you are not covered and have to pay yourself if you need any treatment, obviously a big mistake from your side.

The cover stopped when I turned 53 I was still working as well so I made extensive queries and was told I can't get the 30Baht card cover.

4 hours ago, JohnHans said:

The cover stopped when I turned 53 I was still working as well so I made extensive queries and was told I can't get the 30Baht card cover.

That's correct, you can't get the 30THB cover, that's only for Thais.

But you could have stayed in the Thai social insurance for a few hundred baht per month.

5 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Is there any way to get the two jabs and a certificate in Thailand now? I am in Chiang Mai. Bangkok Hospital here does not give it.

As far as I know Thailand hasn't received any vaccines yet. Maybe next year ????