Thailand’s PM dismisses opposition allegations that he took bribes from illegal gambling

webfact

For a head of state to take bribes is nothing but a treacherous slippery slop with a very, very

unpredictable consequences as one you are know to ob on the take, every dick tom and harry will come to you, so no, i don't think that the PM is THAT stupid... 

4 minutes ago, ourdon said:

I don't blame the Cambodians or Burmese, they're just trying not to starve to death and to get some support to their families.

Nor do I, they fill the positions that Thai's, for some reason, won't!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Rather, he said he dislikes gambling and has instructed the police and local administration officials to crack down on illegal gambling, adding that several police officers, including 51 commanders and deputy commanders, have been transferred and placed under disciplinary investigation for their failure to stamp out illegal gambling in their areas of jurisdiction.

The thing is not that 51 have been temporary placed somewhere during investigation. The thing is that nobody will ever hear any result of that. Therefore most assume they got away scot free and are back to work after a couple of weeks up to a month.

The government must learn what transparency means.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe he hasnt received them from the gambling dens, but by others who have passed part of the bribes on.????????

"....the prime minister told parliament that he has never received a single baht in bribes from any illegal gambling den."

Some may say a denial of receiving a single baht is one way of avoiding a denial of receiving much more than that....I couldn't possibly comment.

• Like 1

Is it interesting that the opposition is willing to throw it at the wall without solid evidence?  Because if they had the evidence they would just take it to the judiciary, they wouldn't start with him in an open forum. I think in the past the ones making the open-ended accusation with no indication that they have back-up evidence would be the ones in trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

I would expect defamation charges to be filed soon.  Even if there is absolute proof of the accusation, which I doubt there is.

Yeah bit odd accusing Pm of such things in public . Especially where you can end up in court or jail for saying how bad something is , be it true or not  !

Must have some good evidence or he’s lost his marbles to spit that accusation out !

After more than 6 years as PM, 3 years as Defense Minister and 2 years supervising both DSI and the RTP, Prayut is now investigating 51 commanders?

There appears to be a long-term cognitive problem with Prayut's law enforcement. Not so attentative I guess as abolishing a Constitution and overthrowing an elected government.

9 minutes ago, rwill said:

I would expect defamation charges to be filed soon.  Even if there is absolute proof of the accusation, which I doubt there is.

Maybe they hedged the way they framed it, like "it would look that way to some people" or such like. The reporting could be better by a long shot.

23 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Is it interesting that the opposition is willing to throw it at the wall without solid evidence?  Because if they had the evidence they would just take it to the judiciary, they wouldn't start with him in an open forum. I think in the past the ones making the open-ended accusation with no indication that they have back-up evidence would be the ones in trouble.

Good point.

Maybe the plan was to bring it into the arena so he would publicly deny it. Then produce the evidence.

33 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Depends, do they have parliamentary protection in Thailand like many other nations? Given certain laws I doubt it but can't find anything definitive.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has flatly denied opposition MPs’ allegations that he received ill-gotten gains from illegal gambling dens.

sure he will deny it and so would anybody else on the same position,  he and anybody/everybody else  being caught with their hand in the candy bar and still denying it

• Like 2