Bike Helmet in Airline Cabin?

belfast3

On 2/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, belfast3 said:

Awesome, thank you! Do these shops sell western brands?

I have had no problems at all carrying my helmet as 'carry on'. I put it in the helmet bag to protect it.

International flights have accepted it but that was about 4 years ago.

National - about one year ago.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you tried to take a helmet on ‘most’ airlines and been told no, it has to go in hold luggage ?

I’ve seen people hand carry helmets, others are reporting they have carried their helmets. 

Whats the potential issue with carrying a helmet on a flight? what possible reason for saying no?

It was seen as a security issue, same as you cannot walk into a high street bank wearing one.

Many airports banned them from being taken beyond the passenger search area to airside.

CAA/FAA banned airlines from carrying helmets aboard aircraft. 

Maybe the CAAT of Thailand and it's domestic carriers are a bit more relaxed in security matters.

Hence ICAO, FAA & CAA  have all downgraded Thailands airlines to Category 2 level.

4 hours ago, papa al said:
  • Actual FAA regs:
  • Acceptable Sporting Carry-ons: baseballs, basketballs, footballs, bocce balls, bowling balls, bicycle chains and pumps, boxing gloves, empty coolers, divot tools, fishing rods and poles, football helmets, golf balls, golf tees, hand helmets, warmers, , longboards, navigation GPS, nerf guns, rocks, sand, skates, sleeping bag, small fishing lures, snowboards, snowshoes, sports cleats, tennis rackets, trophy, vacuum sealed bags.
  •  
  • Your nose grow longer?

All the cool kids have helmets clipped to their backpacks. They carry on ski boots. I asked one lady about her helmet assuming for rock climbing she looked at me like I was some hopeless aged fogey!

This is a rafting helmet sir!

• Haha 1

I took mine on Air Asia in 2019 Feb, no problem, it was in it's carry bag and then in a non-see-through plastic bag, put it on security x-ray check, nobody said anything all the way...

Then bought my bike and rode it 1000km back home, thank goodness had my helmet....????????

On 2/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, belfast3 said:

I recommend to not spend too much money on a helmet in Thailand, due to the climate they deteriorate quite quickly, and the models sold in Thailand usually come only with 6 months or 12 months warranty. (The same helmet bought in Europe might come with a 3 or 5 years warranty even though it costs less there)

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:
On 2/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, belfast3 said:

I recommend to not spend too much money on a helmet in Thailand, due to the climate they deteriorate quite quickly, and the models sold in Thailand usually come only with 6 months or 12 months warranty. (The same helmet bought in Europe might come with a 3 or 5 years warranty even though it costs less there)

I recommend the opposite, well, nearly...  Buy the best helmet you can here, the probability of an accident is higher !

IF someone is not in the UK (or home) then there is no option but to buy a good helmet here. 

IF left outside, they do deteriorate more quickly here, anything with plastic or rubber does, the humidity destroys everything over a few years and you’ll sweat more in a helmet here - keep it inside, get a helmet with a washable and interchangeable / replaceable liner. ALWAYS keep your helmet inside with you, in dry AC rooms where possible. 

The Warranty issue, yes that is an issue, but what goes wrong on a helmet? I suppose something could happen, but I’ve never had an issue with any helmet. 

Prices: My Neotec 2 cost 22,000 baht (£520) after negotiation, at the time the same helmet could be purchased in the UK for about £460 (mail order) - a year later the same helmet (same colour scheme etc) can be purchased in the UK for £400.

Thus: Last years models (colour schemes can be purchased much cheaper back in the UK). 

Here is a good source of what a quality helmet is - and it has nothing to do with price.

Buy a Schuberth and have an expensive, noisy helmet which is outperformed in impact tests by a brand costing 1/3 the price.

Like buying a Merc of BMW - beaten easy by less expensive cars

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Edited by canthai55