7 eleven general rant

Kenny202

I love thailand worts and all. I also often get frasurated by of the thing we all complain about it. But I take deep breath and remind myself  

"It's par for the course

One of the things we all love about Thailand is the Freedom that we did not have back in our own country.  But with freedom there are dangers, there are always those who will abuse, or misuse that freedom.   

We can wish the Government to  provide some regulation and control some of the freedoms  some abuse, or misuse   and we don't like. but together we will lose some of the freedoms we like.  It is already starting. I have been in and out of Thailand for over 25 years and I have seen the changes. 

So let's all take a big breadth . Practice the mantra "Its all par for the course"  and hope things don't change very much. 

• Like 2

I asked the 7/11 franchise owner  in our village and she states that it is the land lord who rents out the side walk/pathway to the noodle and drink shops.

The carts on the road are supposed to be controlled by the local khet officers.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:26 PM, Kenny202 said:

No, not looking to make waves or change the world here. It is what it is and it seems to be like this everywhere. I just find it hard to understand why the Thais tolerate seemingly intolerable things. Maybe its lucky for us they do. I doubt any of these stores are  franchises. I'm in a large city albeit a few k's out. I was under the impression it was only smaller country 7 elevens were franchised.

The vast majority of Thai people are very unconfrontational, in my 15 years here, I cannot remember being confronted by a Thai person ever, so surely that has to be a good thing.

The only thing I can remember confronting any Thai people about are the queue jumpers, and that has never been in any nasty way, and I have done that regularly.

Back in the UK it is the exact opposite, so with the exception of the Thai road behaviour, and the regular coups which I knew nothing about until the one that ousted Thaksin. I am glad to be here.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 5:59 AM, PatOngo said:
On 3/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, Kenny202 said:

Anyone have any insight into this apart from Thais seemingly boundless tendency to tolerate without question?

It's a cultural thing Kenny, ingrained for generations, you can try changing it but it may be somewhat difficult!

Is whining about it cultural too?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, boonchu said:

I asked the 7/11 franchise owner  in our village and she states that it is the land lord who rents out the side walk/pathway to the noodle and drink shops.

The carts on the road are supposed to be controlled by the local khet officers.

Maybe the Landlord is the Bum on the steps! Tough times during this pandemic!

Or if bothered take a pic and sent it to CP- 7-11 Thais arent too happy when they look bad, being perfect race n all..

Or walk into 7-11..grab some ice and mixers..small sangsom and a plastic chair.....a new friend perhaps? I do this with the tuk tuk guys all the time outside bars,as they have all the info and good to have one on your side...one guys knows a hidden after hour shop that will sell me sangsom when the bottle get low  ????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

What do you think, Long Time?

I was thinking more about OP and other foreigners whining about things they either don't understand or can't change here. It could arguably be a cultural thing but I wasn't whining about them or the locals. I was just wondering if it's something in some foreigner's culture to whine?

As some others have alluded to, maybe the longer you stay here, the easier it gets? Sort of like the 7-year itch? If you get past it, you can probably have a less stressful life here. If inconsequential stuff still boils your pish after 10+ years, then maybe it's the guests 'cultural thing' that's misaligned?

I hear they have some half-decent mechanics here that can sort that out but don't hold your breath finding a good sparky.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As some others have alluded to, maybe the longer you stay here, the easier it gets?

I found the first 25 years the easiest, it seemed to more difficult from there on! ????

On 3/13/2021 at 3:42 AM, sirineou said:

You can not have Thailand à la carte,

It might be heaven but it is not Burger King... 

I never understand why people come here and complain abt Thai customs and laws... can they change laws in their own country?

The gravity of gravity... can't do much about it. And such trifling issues too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

We also have a Mini Big-C so that's the perfect trifecta! but *none of them have fresh lettuce for my BLT.

* This is NOT a whine, it's a cultural observation.

Any subs?...how about shaved cabbage..slaw style for crunch? as iceberg is the trash lettuce of the lettuce family....I just do bacon--mayo and tomato on toast

On 3/13/2021 at 2:31 AM, sanuk711 said:

My 7-11 has 5 girls on the check outs, until it gets really busy, 

.....then they have  2..........

I think you are being a little over critical there. I doubt the 3 girls that receive phone calls from their family and pictures of their friends dinner on facebook knew for certain that the shop would get busy at that point in time.

And still better than in the west where finding a shop assistant is akin to winning the lottery. Finding a shop assistant that knows the answer to your questions is akin to winning the lottery whilst being struck by lightening.

50 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I think you are being a little over critical there. I doubt the 3 girls that receive phone calls from their family and pictures of their friends dinner on facebook knew for certain that the shop would get busy at that point in time.

And still better than in the west where finding a shop assistant is akin to winning the lottery. Finding a shop assistant that knows the answer to your questions is akin to winning the lottery whilst being struck by lightening.

But having an answer doesn't mean the shop assistant understands the answer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DaLa said:

When the number of 'visitors' in a bigger 7/11 that I often visit reaches a certain point (many in the shop) 3 assistants quickly change their roles to seriously monitoring the back/side wall of the shop to stop shoplifting.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I found the first 25 years the easiest, it seemed to more difficult from there on! ????

Interesting. With that sort of mileage, one would expect to be well over the (cultural) hump. What happened after 25 years?

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

We also have a Mini Big-C so that's the perfect trifecta! but *none of them have fresh lettuce for my BLT.

* This is NOT a whine, it's a cultural observation.

Any subs?...how about shaved cabbage..slaw style for crunch? as iceberg is the trash lettuce of the lettuce family....I just do bacon--mayo and tomato on toast

I guess I got a bit spoiled over the cooler months with grandma's allotment just across the street being the source of an endless supply of succulent, green, leaf (non-trashy) lettuce and other veggies. Sadly, the 'farm' is all a bit sunburnt and crispy already.

BTW. you're talking about a toasted bacon tomato sandwich, not a bloody BLT.