Would you consider the Philippines

6 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Food is sh*"e

This for me was the biggest issue when I worked there many years ago and decent western style food in Manila was relatively quite expensive - not sure if that has changed?

5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

and finally Palawan, area of Puerto Princessa,

Are there not issues around there with any of the various Muslim oriented separatist groups?

• Like 1

Worked and lived in the Philippines for 2 years.

There are some very nice spots there out of the cities, very nice beaches etc.

Nearly everyone can speak pretty good English. In general everyone is friendly, but there are more guns around in the Philippines. You go to a bank and see the sign, leave your weapons/guns with the guard, who is always armed.

Traffic is bad in the cities, pollution is bad, but once you get out of the city its OK.

Girls are friendly and pretty in general, they come in all sizes and shapes. Lot of poverty there in areas, also they have Typhoons blowing thru, can do a lot of damage.

All in all not a bad place, but the local food is a big disadvantage, not a patch on Thai food!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Already she pops over does my dishes ...washing etc

I'm guessing that the etc includes some polishing and buffing.

I'd consider living there again. Some things are better there, some things worse. I always found accommodation  there to be a bit more expensive when compared to Thailand. Foods ok, but less variety than here. People are friendly but the greater poverty means you have to be more careful of scammers. Medical facilities also not as good as Thailand. Finally, I heard that there has recently been a shake up regarding retirement visas ( thanks to lots of Chinese using them incorrectly ) so staying there for retirement will require more stringent requirements than in the past.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

Preparing for retirement I looked at Ecuador, the Canal Zone (Panama), Mexico, Philippines and Thailand. Sold all in the USA and came to Thailand. Only problem I have had after nearly a decade here as a full time foreign retiree, was when it appeared that the Kingdom of Thailand might be changing the immigration requirements so as to demonstrate they would not allow me to stay. That crisis was averted but I considered the Philippines as the “fall back” at that time.

• Like 1

Yeah the Philippines is high on my list as a backup to Thailand but Mexico and Colombia are a bit higher.

Areas I'm interested in.

Bacalod City

Iloilo City

Tagaytay

Cavite province

Mactan island outside Cebu City

Damaguete 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm thinking now more phillipines than Thailand to retire but I have to look first .

We all probably know a lot of Filipino girls are very attractive .

The country seems more modern than Thailand.

Money seems to go further 

the country more modern than Thailand???  your having a laugh mate.

apart from the beaches, the place is a toilet

no way does the money go further there.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

she is not telling you the full story

i have been researching there for months

loads on You Tube, joined Ex Pat FB pages there, i have a wealth of knowledge about it

in a nutshell, Thailand is by far the better place to live for quality of life.

Phil is more expensive in nearly every way

the internet is very expensive and absolutely terrible, even Fibre

the food is awful compared to Thailand

Do what i am doing mate, get a Philli girl and bring her to Thailand

then you have the best of it all

in my opinion the Phil girls are 100x better than the Thai girls

I agree Thailand is better but its a matter of considering Plan Bs.

Made many "trips" to the PI and was married to a Filipina for 23 years. The PI seems more like the US when it comes to certain things. Could I live there maybe in certain places? Thailand feels way more regimented and safe but Thais do not have the character (I don't mean good or bad) that Filipinos have. You can be happy in either place you just have to bend to local rules and customs. Just my observations not claiming expertise.

• Like 2