Tourism minister's targets: 1.2 trillion baht from 6.5 million tourists in 2021

webfact

Just shaking the head now .  This daily pulling made up numbers out of their <deleted> is far beyond ridiculous at this point.

Also if the first sandbox site is to be Phuket and they intend to let potentially infected people just traipse round the island with no quarantine might want to brush the wants of those hiso Bangkok Thais who will be demanding to be looked after first and instead send as many of those 20 million doses will be needed to immediately protect the population of Phuket.

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

1.2 trillion baht is more than half what 40 million tourists spent in 2019, notes Thaivisa.

Does this indicate an admission that tourists can expect to pay a lot more for things and/or be ripped off or does it mean he's just made these figures up so he can announce them for publicity?

Based on past experience I'd go for the latter.

• Like 2

Im not sure about their figures but things seem to be moving here in Phuket,

I have some properties for rent and one condo I have is getting inquiries every other day,

The same condo we got a 2 month booking which is great, albeit discounted 

There is some cheap charlies out there they can see how much it is on the web site + discount but still contact us and offer half the price, 

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not sure about their figures but things seem to be moving here in Phuket,

I have some properties for rent and one condo I have is getting inquiries every other day,

The same condo we got a 2 month booking which is great, albeit discounted 

There is some cheap charlies out there they can see how much it is on the web site + discount but still contact us and offer half the price, 

During the last decade rent of condo's/hotel rooms was sky rocketing and now things have changed drastically you call them cheap charlies ? Remember there is an end to everything, you reap what you sow.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

During the last decade rent of condo's/hotel rooms was sky rocketing and now things have changed drastically you call them cheap charlies ? Remember there is an end to everything, you reap what you sow.

Would love to see the whole system come crashing down. Thailand is in debt in the billions. Keep building stupid!

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Never hurts to dream big, I guess.

But as stated on these pages so many times, relatively cheap and easy to get to is what fueled Thai tourism. 

Eliminate either of those and there are too many other places relatively cheaper and easier to get to.

I really  don't  think  you will  find many  places cheaper than  Thailand. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

"All I Have To Do Is Dream"

Dream, dream, dream, dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream

When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream

If you'll dream it hard enough, it will happen...

TAT for Everly inventing big numbers.

• Haha 1

Despite the fact that the rules for entering and the time for quarantine is less and less, one thing in the requirements for entering Thailand as a 'vaccinated' tourist seems to have been overlooked or will not be enforced.  That item being that a person has to be from a country where there has not been and incidence of a COVID variant.  Will the countries with COVID variants be published and updated on the MOPH website?

My personal concern about overseas travel is the risk, be it slight, of getting Covid-19 whilst out of my country of residence (Laos), and then having to quarantine on return to that country of residence.  Having a Covid-19 vaccination does not stop you getting infected with the virus in your body - it simply means that your immune system is better-prepared to fight that virus.

That being the case, if I travelled to any overseas country (not just Thailand), such an infection would need me to quarantine on my return, which would be a major disruption to my teaching job.

Therefore, in order to minimise that risk, I have zero plans to travel to Thailand (or any other country) for the next few years, until I retire (2025), and can then afford (money and time-wise) to spend 14 days or so in quarantine, should I get this virus.

• Like 2

It is fair to assume that hotels will still be on promotion for the rest of the year. Although a rise in tourism may encourage a slight increase in price, hotels also know they now have to rely a lot on domestic tourists. And if their prices increase a lot, Thais won't travel much. It is also fair to assume that many restaurants and businesses will remain closed and that the ones opening will still apply lower prices than in the past (for restaurants, bars, massages...).

That being said, I don't see how tourists will spend more than they did in the past. I see them spend less personally.

• Like 1

My guess is that the loss of 20% GDP of the Thai economy being wiped out for two years is now bringing a reality that they need to open up, and quite quickly.

Problem is though, they fail to understand that the covid pandemic has left many unemployed, many in debt and many fearing to travel a long way for fear of getting back again.

I honestly cannot see Thailand getting back to 40 million for 10 years. I cannot see any mass tourism until the final Q4, and 6 million in that Q will be really fanciful

• Like 2

People are still infectious even after being vaccinated  so are these 6.5m tourists going to believe that Thailand has created 4/5 Wuflu free oasis in amongst a 65m population containing at least 1.5m itinerant workers many of whom work in the tourist industry where the 'Government' has suppressed the figures?

19 hours ago, DLock said:

The minister explained this away by saying that post pandemic tourists to Thailand would be spending more per person.

Bosses can say anything as they know they will never be put in a position where they could be questioned and loose face.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, webfact said:

But in order for his 6.5 million tourist target to be kept he pointed out that much would depend on 20 million doses of vaccine being used to vaccinate 10 million people in the Thai capital Bangkok.

So where exactly does all this Vaccine come from.

Oh ! I forgot the Bioscience Initiative will be on stream in June.

I really can see Thailand being placed on a restricted entry by many Countries due to the poor Vaccination Program.

Edited by Cake Monster