AstraZeneca Covid vaccine will be Thailand’s ‘principal’ shot, says health minister

webfact

A pretty big bet on it not being linked to blood clots and thrombosis. As we all should know, it is impossible to prove there is no causal link between the vaccine and clots. 

Anutin has a pretty poor record as health minister with a series of bad calls....is this the next bad call or has he got it right this time. Maybe my view is clouded by my extreme dislike of Anutin?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sungod said:

So 1 in a million 'may' get a blood clot?

Will you be stayiong home today incase you get hit by a bus?

30 out of 5.5 million in EU/EEC, that's more like 5.45 in a million. The vaccine is still a benefit in EU with 400 and more Covid-19 related death per million inhabitants; however, the death rate from Covid-19 in Thailand is 1.45 per million, so here perhaps the vaccine is more risky than the disease...????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, khunPer said:

30 out of 5.5 million in EU/EEC, that's more like 5.45 in a million. The vaccine is still a benefit in EU with 400 and more Covid-19 related death per million inhabitants; however, the death rate from Covid-19 in Thailand is 1.45 per million, so here perhaps the vaccine is more risky than the disease...????

Good point, just going to jump on my motorbike, hopefully I wont be hit by a bus.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sungod said:

Good point, just going to jump on my motorbike, hopefully I wont be hit by a bus.

Your chance for getting killed in the traffic in Thailand is almost similar to the chance for dying with Covid-19 in my European home country – same-same but different...????

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

This is good news, the AZ vaccine has been highly effective.

Let's just hope the EU doesn't decide in the next couple of months that they want some more AZ vaccines before Thailand gets their order delivered. Because as we know, the EU "rejects the logic of first come, first served".

Really?

And how do we know that?

However, I do recall the EU wanting their contracts with AZ manufacturers being met in full...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Really?

And how do we know that?

However, I do recall the EU wanting their contracts with AZ manufacturers being met in full...

Really? Yes Really.

How do we know that? Because that's what the EU health commissioner said. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/health-commissioner-astrazeneca-logic-might-work-at-butcher-but-not-in-contracts/

image.png.4d2c60929114951ad52e4de2b475e37c.png

So Thailand better be prepared for the EU to jump the queue if they so wish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are your telling me we will still have a choice if you allow the private hospitals to pursue other vaccines right? Or that only the vaccine you decide in principal will be used and produce yourselves is what we will be allowed to obtain. Sorry, but I think I will wait until I have my choice Mr. Anutin.  

Here we go again . Thailand can't win can it? Last week everyone was blowing up because they didn't want cheap Chinese sinovac or the Russian <deleted> or the Thai produced vaccine. Now they choose probably what appears to be one of the most effective vaccine in the world you still got drama.  And are you Thai?  Because unless you are it doesn't really matter does it now?

Edited by starky

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Really? Yes Really.

How do we know that? Because that's what the EU health commissioner said. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/health-commissioner-astrazeneca-logic-might-work-at-butcher-but-not-in-contracts/

image.png.4d2c60929114951ad52e4de2b475e37c.png

So Thailand better be prepared for the EU to jump the queue if they so wish.

As I say the article you post a link to says 

“Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides on Wednesday flatly rejected AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot's claim that the company was only required to make a "best effort" rather than be contractually obligated to deliver a certain quantity of coronavirus vaccine.

"Pharmaceutical companies and vaccine developers have a moral, societal and contractual responsibility which they need to uphold," Kyriakides said. "The view that the company signed a best effort agreement is neither correct nor it is acceptable."

An EU official earlier in the day called the AstraZeneca's shortfall "massive": The EU will get only a quarter of what it was promised by the end of March.”

The EU wants az manufacturers to honour its contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For those favoring J and J because it is one shot keep in mind that it is highly likely that a later booster will be needed basically negating that reason.

Also it is highly likely that later shots perhaps annually will be needed globally as immunity fades and variants still develop. 

So if you join the expensive private track here you may be stuck with that. I don’t know yet about whether you can switch brands later. I'm also assuming that Moderna which would be my top choice is going to be more expensive than J and J.

The funniest thing is people thinking vaccinations are the silver bullet. In relation to Thailand it's currently a 12 week window of acceptance so most people only get one bite of the cherry.

Once you get here under the sandbox and eventually go home unless your willing to stay your statute of limitation expires after 3 months and im pretty sure you can't just go and get vaccinated again.

And the very valid point you raised I honestly never considered can you mix and match vaccines?

One would hope you could but it's an extremely interesting question ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

This is good news, the AZ vaccine has been highly effective.

Let's just hope the EU doesn't decide in the next couple of months that they want some more AZ vaccines before Thailand gets their order delivered. Because as we know, the EU "rejects the logic of first come, first served".

The EU order was made in August and the Thailand agreement on 27 November.

The EU has ordered 400 million doses and AZ has only supplied 30 million doses so far, so it may be a long time before the EU gets its order fulfilled. It won't need to order more. It's even possible that when AZ is able to supply the last doses ordered, they won't be needed any more.

The good news is that the U.S. is expected to have vaccinated its whole adult population by the end of the month,  likely without AZ vaccines as it is not yet approved. The large US stocks of AZ vaccines will soon be exported elsewhere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, starky said:

Here we go again . Thailand can't win can it? Last week everyone was blowing up because they didn't want cheap Chinese sinovac or the Russian <deleted> or the Thai produced vaccine. Now they choose probably what appears to be one of the most effective vaccine in the world you still got drama.  And are you Thai?  Because unless you are it doesn't really matter does it now?

It does matter if they don't let the hospitals procure other vaccines and force a one vaccine only upon them.  Of course you probably don't want a vaccine, while others like me want to have a choice. Start to think outside of the box.  I am not a fan of the AZ vaccine after reading many reports and studies.  Maybe you are. Good luck with that sir. As Pink Floyd sang "just another brick in the wall"

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It does matter if they don't let the hospitals procure other vaccines and force a one vaccine only upon them.  Of course you probably don't want a vaccine, while others like me want to have a choice. Start to think outside of the box.  I am not a fan of the AZ vaccine after reading many reports and studies.  Maybe you are. Good luck with that sir. As Pink Floyd sang "just another brick in the wall"

Mate im an essential worker I've already first jab ill be vaccinated before you so like most of your uninformed opinions about me wrong again! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, starky said:

In relation to Thailand it's currently a 12 week window of acceptance so most people only get one bite of the cherry.

You're talking about the current limitation on vaccinaed tourists being 90 days? Pretty sure that's jsut a place-holder, and will be extended assuming the science supports it.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

You're talking about the current limitation on vaccinaed tourists being 90 days? Pretty sure that's jsut a place-holder, and will be extended assuming the science supports it.

Well so do I but until I see proof to the contrary my statement stands.

9 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

And now they are trying to sell their vaccine under a different name  - "Vaxzevria".

But people will still remember all the bad press, no matter what name it changes to.

I believe that Thailand can get this vaccine at rock-bottom price, since many European countries ban or put some age-restriction on this vaccine. Anutin doesn't care about the safety - only the price.

What bad press???

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

As I say the article you post a link to says 

“Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides on Wednesday flatly rejected AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot's claim that the company was only required to make a "best effort" rather than be contractually obligated to deliver a certain quantity of coronavirus vaccine.

"Pharmaceutical companies and vaccine developers have a moral, societal and contractual responsibility which they need to uphold," Kyriakides said. "The view that the company signed a best effort agreement is neither correct nor it is acceptable."

An EU official earlier in the day called the AstraZeneca's shortfall "massive": The EU will get only a quarter of what it was promised by the end of March.”

The EU wants az manufacturers to honour its contract. 

No, the EU wants to queue jump and steal vaccines from people who ordered first because it placed it's order too late.

Dress it up however you like. If the UK orders first then it should get the vaccine first. If there's a supply problem after the UK has received it's order, that's the EU's fault for ordering too late. You snooze you lose.

But the EU wants to "reject the logic of first come first served" simply because the UK ordered first and they wish to cover for their own ineptitude. Had the EU ordered first, they would of course respect the logic, because it makes complete sense to respect the logic, it's standard practice in industry. AZ knows this, which is why they won't agree and the EU has to resort to threatening export restrictions like some kind of third world banana republic.

Raab summed it up well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-raab-eu-vaccine-covid-b1818671.html

image.png.857356ec3f3ef688dd10b213601da8f5.png

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No, the EU wants to queue jump and steal vaccines from people who ordered first because it placed it's order too late.

Dress it up however you like. If the UK orders first then it should get the vaccine first. If there's a supply problem after the UK has received it's order, that's the EU's fault for ordering too late. You snooze you lose.

But the EU wants to "reject the logic of first come first served" simply because the UK ordered first and they wish to cover for their own ineptitude. Had the EU ordered first, they would of course respect the logic, because it makes complete sense to respect the logic, it's standard practice in industry. AZ knows this, which is why they won't agree and the EU has to resort to threatening export restrictions like some kind of third world banana republic.

Raab summed it up well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-raab-eu-vaccine-covid-b1818671.html

image.png.857356ec3f3ef688dd10b213601da8f5.png

Dress it up how you will, the bottom line is that the EU wants the az manufacturers to honour the contract they signed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Dress it up how you will, the bottom line is that the EU wants the az manufacturers to honour the contract they signed. 

I'm sure they do.

They'll have to get in line, because AZ is contracted to honour the UK's contract first.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, sungod said:

So 1 in a million 'may' get a blood clot?

Will you be stayiong home today incase you get hit by a bus?

Nope. I will go out.

But I certainly will wait for the "green man" at the crossing, so I can minimize the chances of being run over by a bus.

• Like 2