Colman's Mustard

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not sure if you are in Pattaya but Siamsburis have a better product at a lower price....... 65 Baht from memory.

No, long way from there. Up in Petchabun province.

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not sure if you are in Pattaya but Siamsburis have a better product at a lower price....... 65 Baht from memory.

siamburis also had 113g colman's powder last week either 49 or 59thb, macro used to do it but not seen for months.

store in the fridge

edit looking at the villa link the 113g colman's is 240thb, some huge difference.

siamburi's partnered with siam expat shop do home delivers throughout the country i believe.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, lungbing said:

My mum always mixed Colman's mustard powder with a little milk rather than with water.  Can't remember why, but she did.

It was always my father's job to make the mustard for a roast beef Sunday lunch.  He also used milk, claiming it made the mustard milder than if made with water.

13 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

How can something that costs 50 baht in the UK end up costing 500-600 baht in Thailand?

Call it a Stupidity Tax.

You're in a country with one of the best cuisines in the world.

And you want some crummy little flavor brand from a country with one of the worst cuisines in the world.

I think you've been undercharged. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Thai-manufactured Worcestershire sauce

Not with my taste buds but for info I think formula 1 is closer, Lea & Perrins has vanished around Chiang Mai just now.

Don't know where you are but Rimping here has no problem colmans mustard, they do do online but I don't know if they ship to wherever you are.

By the way, anyone think colmans english mustard is no where near as hot as it used to be or have my senses dulled with age???

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Thank you. I have always used the pots of mustard, has anyone tried using the powder that you need to reconstitute? Is it any different?

Unfortunately Villa Market won't deliver to my address but I'll pick up some next time I travel.

Big C Udon carry it, assume other branches do? 

For the powder there is a waiting time as the AITC (kick) is formed by an enzyme. 15 mins as I recall from 50 years ago. 

I'm in a hyper-rural location and can get the Knorr beef stock cubes and the Thai-manufactured Worcestershire sauce, which is identical to Lea and Perrins. Perfect for chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, casseroles and even add a splash to my burgers.

It looks like this:

worcestesauce.jpg

I had a bottle of that and thought it was so bad i poured it down the sink. Tesco used to stock French's Worcester source which was acceptable, but only have the Thai stuff now. Still have most of a bottle of Lea and Perrins, can still get at Makro.

You complain about the price. Just remember this and it applies to every country in the world including the UK. Any imported product will always be more expensive in a foreign country to what it is in its home country because you have the extra shipping costs plus the import taxes and duties and then there is the extra shipping costs in the country of import plus there is the unfair competition with the local made products. I have bought jars of Masterfood Hot English Mustard from Australia at Tops Supermarket in Khon Kaen and I am sure I saw jars Colemans Mustard there as well. Check out your Tops Supermarket. 

1 hour ago, alant said:

Not with my taste buds but for info I think formula 1 is closer, Lea & Perrins has vanished around Chiang Mai just now.

Don't know where you are but Rimping here has no problem colmans mustard, they do do online but I don't know if they ship to wherever you are.

By the way, anyone think colmans english mustard is no where near as hot as it used to be or have my senses dulled with age???

Agree with you ref the mustard. The jars of mustard are very weak. The powdered is a bit stronger.

Reading this reminds me of how much I miss my 3 month visa runs to Penang, Vientiane, and even Singapore to stock up on the condiments.

Colmans mustard today at Villa....156 Baht. Singapore Cold Storage ....123 baht equivalent. Good old Asda...39 baht.

Branston Pickle                               .....188                                                         ....153                                                            ...60

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Agree with you ref the mustard. The jars of mustard are very weak. The powdered is a bit stronger.

With the pre-made jars of mustard you are stuck with whatever strength they decide but with the powder you can make it to whatever strength that you want simply by adding more or less powder

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

For me, it's Colman's or nothing. I love that feeling of having your sinuses blasted out.

Always funny when a Thai lady tries English mustard for the first time. So different to chili for them.

• Sad 1

I live in a small village, none of the Thai supermarkets will deliver to my address, so I will have to go and buy as much as I can next time I am in Bangkok. I usually stay around soi 11, so where should I go to buy it?

Thanks in advance, I know this might seem like a petty matter, but it's important for me. I can get Heinz American mustard here but it's basically yellow mayonnaise, and it doesn't clear out my sinuses.

I've PM'd you. Salvation is at hand ????

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

It was always my father's job to make the mustard for a roast beef Sunday lunch.  He also used milk, claiming it made the mustard milder than if made with water.

If you use milk, you need to use it soon.  With water - and a splash of white vinegar for me - it keeps for a long time in the fridge.

That's nuts, more than ten times the price in the UK. I'll just have to be conservative when using it. How can something that costs 50 baht in the UK end up costing 500-600 baht in Thailand?

Firstly, because people importing it have costs and want to maximise their profits and secondly and perhaps more importantly because the market (ie people who want it) are willing to pay that price.  

• Like 1

In Australia I used to use Keen's Mustard Powder and only mix enough for what you wanted to use immediately so you did not waste any. I used to use about 1/4 teaspoon of powder and just a few drops of liquid to make the mustard paste but like many others now I have become lazy and now buy the jars of ready made mustard.

Does wasabi taste the same as English mustard? Because they have it in my local 7-Eleven but I've only tasted it maybe once and can't remember what it was like.

Tome no - Wasabi is a type of japanese horseradish and boy, does it have a kick!!!

Colemans available in the following ;
Big C

Makro

VillaMart

Food for foreigners.

I have to admit that the supply is very hit and miss.  With regards to cost - well I really don't care - if it's in the food line and I want I will buy it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

I agree which is why a rarely order food I miss. However , I just couldn't get OXO beef stock cubes locals so ordered some online for things like spagetti and chilli  etc. Needs must.

Big C have OXO beef also chicken, and Branston pickle.