Banks in Thailand cut opening hours

webfact

OK enough of the personal comments and petty bickering.

Back on topic please.

/Edit: More baiting and bickering off-topic posts have been removed.

Continue, and holidays will be awarded.

Edited by Jai Dee
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Excel said:

Foreign companies are already pulling out of Thailand due to the lack of confidence, corruption levels are at an all time high and now covid running rampant is destroying the normal peoples livelihoods.  So international confidence in the Thai economy I suggest is falling.

I think it is possibly correct to say there are fewer foreign companies operating in Thailand but a large part of the reason for that is because Thai owned companies are becoming more dominant and more savvy. CP Groups takeover Tesco saw Tesco depart, Carrefour retail was sold to Big C, HSBC retail left because it couldn't compete and Makro was bought out my CP Group also. Thai companies also started to expand overseas, mostly a function I think of the strong Baht. I don't think that means foreign companies lack confidence in Thailand, it just means they find it harder to compete locally. Where foreign confidence is seen is in the amount of inbound Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand which grew to something like USD 250 bill. in total in 2019 and only fell the following year when Tesco was sold. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Wishful thinking.. how many years have foreigners been moaning and predicting this. I guess maybe if you predict it long enough you will right once. But I don't see it happening in the near future. You seem to think it will break soon after Songkran.

I wonder if you will admit your wrong assumption in a few weeks or merrily start predicting it again next time forgetting all the times it has been predicted before.

I for one am sure the bath wont explode in within 4 weeks. (also love to know what your definition of bombing is a 1 bath per dollar drop or more) lets make this prediction a bit more solid so i can pin you down and remind you next time.

Been here 15+ years seen the good years and after that they all started to predict the bath dropping.. so far it did not happen.

Though the rate has gotten better recently.

the currency is the BAHT not Bath

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brierley said:

I think it is possibly correct to say there are fewer foreign companies operating in Thailand but a large part of the reason for that is because Thai owned companies are becoming more dominant and more savvy. CP Groups takeover Tesco saw Tesco depart, Carrefour retail was sold to Big C, HSBC retail left because it couldn't compete and Makro was bought out my CP Group also. Thai companies also started to expand overseas, mostly a function I think of the strong Baht. I don't think that means foreign companies lack confidence in Thailand, it just means they find it harder to compete locally. Where foreign confidence is seen is in the amount of inbound Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand which grew to something like USD 250 bill. in total in 2019 and only fell the following year when Tesco was sold. 

Tesco sold out to CP because it was a board decision to sell. It was not a takeover rather a competitive bid sale. Nothing to do with competition at all as they sold there biggest profit making entities to inject capital back to their base. Carrefour's French owners sold their shareholding to Big C years ago as did Makro's French owners sell out to CP. The latter two years ago and not part of the last 4 years pull-out by foreign companies. 

Edited by Excel

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Tesco sold out to CP because it was a board decision to sell. It was not a takeover rather a competitive bid sale. Nothing to do with competition at all as they sold there biggest profit making entities to inject capital back to their base. Carrefour's French owners sold their shareholding to Big C years ago as did Makro's French owners sell out to CP. The latter two years ago and not part of the last 4 years pull-out by foreign companies. 

Yes you're right, I didn't intend to say takeover. But I don't think that changes the picture that Thai companies are acquiring foreign based assets in Thailand, did you have companies in mind when you refer to the pullout by foreign companies?

5 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Yes you're right, I didn't intend to say takeover. But I don't think that changes the picture that Thai companies are acquiring foreign based assets in Thailand, did you have companies in mind when you refer to the pullout by foreign companies?

GM for one more recently but on the news media we can not quote there was a list last year  of Thai investors now investing elsewhere together with companies  that had ceased or going to cease operations here. The article was basically about the falling business confidence in Thailand and the investment risk aversion taking place

• Like 1

Banking hours back home are 10 am to 3 pm.

Who actually needs to go inside a bank anyway?

Expats,, etc. should be able to do all your business at the ATM or online, except once a year for the extension.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Excel said:

GM for one more recently but on the news media we can not quote there was a list last year  of Thai investors now investing elsewhere together with companies  that had ceased or going to cease operations here. The article was basically about the falling business confidence in Thailand and the investment risk aversion taking place

GM's decision to pull out of Thailand extended to Australia and  New Zealand also, I think that was more about not trying to compete in markets where they were not profitable rather than anything that was Thailand specific. But I'll have a dig around and see if I can't find the article you're pointing towards.

2 minutes ago, Brierley said:

GM's decision to pull out of Thailand extended to Australia and  New Zealand also, I think that was more about not trying to compete in markets where they were not profitable rather than anything that was Thailand specific. But I'll have a dig around and see if I can't find the article you're pointing towards.

Hardly large but  Isetan another I recall, been here donkeys years

A lot more people are now moving to online banking and the Mrs told me last week that at least one bank is about to stop automatically giving a bank book with every account. In the West, many branches are closing as there's less and less need for them. Could Thailand's banks slowly be moving into the 21st century?

13 minutes ago, Excel said:

Hardly large but  Isetan another I recall, been here donkeys years

One of the recurring themes is how difficult it is for foreign companies to compete in the Thai market, especially banking and retail where family owned business and large conglomerates such as CP Group and Central dominate. I don't think that lack of ability to compete is a negative for the Thai economy, more it is a sign of a closed business market and the strengths of the local players. Again, if you look at the money flows or FDI, Thailand remains an attractive investment proposition but not at the high street level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

And could Immigration follow them?

They might have to rethink the bank book requirements if banks start to do away with them! Though they'd more likely insist on the book and relevant photocopies thereof and if you happen to bank with a bookless bank then your visa extensions will be declined!

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Nothing new with those times. Branches in shopping malls/centres here, where I live, have been closing at 5.00 p.m. and branches outside malls at 3.30 p.m. for the past 4 years.

Yes indeed. During my 20 years of living in Thailand, the main branches of Bangkok Bank I used in Lanna and then in Isaan, were open Monday to Friday 8:30am to 3:30pm. Sub branches in Tesco Lotus were 10:00am to 5:00pm every day (except public holidays).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Been here 15+ years seen the good years and after that they all started to predict the bath dropping.. so far it did not happen.

Been here 35 years.  One day back in '97, I wired $67,000 from the US to Thailand.  The baht was at 25 to the dollar.  Two weeks later, the baht had plummeted to 55 to the dollar, and I had essentially lost more than half of what had been (relatively) secure US currency.  One never knows.  If we did, we'd all be rich.  You take your chances -- and your lumps.

4 hours ago, oobar said:

Been here 35 years.  One day back in '97, I wired $67,000 from the US to Thailand.  The baht was at 25 to the dollar.  Two weeks later, the baht had plummeted to 55 to the dollar, and I had essentially lost more than half of what had been (relatively) secure US currency.  One never knows.  If we did, we'd all be rich.  You take your chances -- and your lumps.

Sure things can change but someone saying that the bank hours are limited because they fear a bank run while its all about covid is clearly not thinking straight. There is no indication its the case.

Besides the guy did not want to get  pinned down on any predictions because that would mean i could prove him wrong. Its easier to sprout nonsense and make no commitment because then you can never be held accountable in a debate.

People been talking about the baht dropping but is has not done so. Anyway an other doom prophet having his hour of glory. 

I mean if you make  a statement like, no the opening hours shift is not because of covid but for fear of a bank rush. Because that is what he was saying. You should at least make a short term prediction because they are not going to change banking hours for an event in the far future. 

Just my two cents.

• Like 1