Thailand reports another daily record of 15 virus deaths, 2,179 cases

webfact

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

04-27-21d.jpg.3f398d2b1a9e030a370d40a1876d1916.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

The grim death toll today brings Thailand's total COVID death count just during the country's third wave outbreak in April to 69, and a total of 163 COVID deaths since the world pandemic began in early 2000. COVID deaths in Thailand began increasing about a week after the end of the country's mid-month New Year's holidays when many travel and socialize. A government spokesman said 9 of the 15 new deaths occurred in Bangkok, most with some type of preexisting health condition.

The Ministry of Public Health also is reporting that it now has 25,973 people in various kinds of hospital facilities after testing positive for COVID.  Of those, 628 were reported to be in critical condition, up from 563 the day before. Of those in critical condition, 169 were reported requiring ventilators to breathe, up from 150 the day before.

The government's policy is to require some type of hospitalization for anyone testing positive for COVID. In a bit of good news, meanwhile, a government spokesman said the backlog of citizens with COVID awaiting admission to hospitals had been reduced to about 200 as of yesterday, down from numbers as high as 1,400 or more in the past week.

The 2,179 new COVID cases reported Tuesday represents a 6 percent uptick from yesterday's 2,048 total, and Thailand's fifth consecutive day of 2,000+ new case reports. The country's peak thus far for reported daily new cases came last Saturday, April 24, with 2,839.

In another development, meanwhile, a government spokesman said health officials will recommend this Thursday to reimpose a mandatory 14 day COVID quarantine on all incoming international travelers to Thailand. That original 14 day quarantine has lately been reduced to 10 days, but that was before the recent steep rise in local cases.

04-27-21a.jpg.afbdaf6f221d16fdef2a4a62f9397a87.jpg

So, someone do the math for me.  6 million people and 163 deaths.  And this makes a world wide pandemic?  There's more people killed on the roads each year from drunk driving.  There's your pandemic. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

So, someone do the math for me.  6 million people and 163 deaths.  And this makes a world wide pandemic?  There's more people killed on the roads each year from drunk driving.  There's your pandemic. 

No idea what you're talking about... The 163 deaths are just in Thailand, which has a population of about  70 million. Thailand thus far has fared better than many other places in the world.

The global pandemic numbers are 148+ million confirmed COVID cases and 3+ million official COVID deaths since the start of the pandemic. I'd say that qualifies as a pandemic.

• Thanks 1

Just the image I wanted to see...before signing off for the night!  ????

So is this the way of undoing Anutin, without technically having him step down or be removed per se?

Did anybody in the Cabinet vote no?  Did they even have a vote?

04-27-21ab.jpg.02b70bdd66b1cc6d0f885bbafe7f3bb3.jpg

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-appointed-thailands-covid-czar-in-sole-charge-of-handling-the-pandemic/

"All key aspects related to the prevention of the spread of the virus and treatment of the infected, including the procurement and distribution of vaccines and anti-viral drugs, management of hospital beds, vaccinations and imposition of restrictions to contain the disease, among others, will be in the sole control of the prime minister.

After the cabinet meeting, the prime minister said that he had assigned the Foreign Affairs Ministry to contact foreign governments for the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So is this the way of undoing Anutin, without technically having him step down or be removed per se?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-appointed-thailands-covid-czar-in-sole-charge-of-handling-the-pandemic/

"All key aspects related to the prevention of the spread of the virus and treatment of the infected, including the procurement and distribution of vaccines and anti-viral drugs, management of hospital beds, vaccinations and imposition of restrictions to contain the disease, among others, will be in the sole control of the prime minister.

After the cabinet meeting, the prime minister said that he had assigned the Foreign Affairs Ministry to contact foreign governments for the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines."

This is an important data point in determining whether the epidemic is about to ramp down. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This was reported 5 days ago, situation will now be much worse. ICU is in a dire state

Covid-19 patients occupying nearly half of hospital beds nationwide

Covid-19 patients have taken up 19,386 out of 40,524 available hospital beds nationwide, or 47.8 per cent, Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the governments Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Saturday.

"Hospitals in metropolitan areas will be able to accept new ICU patients for another 10 days, while hospitals elsewhere will have capacity for 20 days."

- AIIR or Airborne Infection Isolation Room: 409 out of 704 beds were occupied, or 58.1 per cent

- Modified AIIR rooms: 1,009 out of 1,688 beds were occupied, or 59.8 per cent

- Isolated rooms: 5,857 out of 9,206 beds were occupied, or 63.6 per cent

- Cohort ward: 8,894 out of 22,435 beds were occupied, or 39.6 per cent

- Cohort ICU: 3,129 out of 6,333 beds were occupied, or 49.4 per cent

- Hospitel (hotels serving as hospitals): 88 out of 158 beds were occupied, or 55.7 per cent

“In Bangkok and surrounding areas, 11,075 beds were used by Covid-19 patients of the total 16,422 hospital beds available, or 67.4 per cent,” he added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000181

That's why used past tense WERE in my post. Sure they are filling up rapidly now, no one is questioning that.

My post was a response to Excel's post about all the cases that the government had hidden in the past, the cases that never ended up in hospital.

Edited by MikeyIdea

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, the 200 people reported to be on ventilators don’t exist?

The government is setting up field hospitals because why?

I used Past Tense Danderman, past tense

Sure they are filling up rapidly now, no one is questioning that.

My post was a response to Excel's post about all the cases that the government had hidden in the past, the cases that never ended up in hospital.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks Ike he he trying to follow Chinas leader and become PM for life after taking all titles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

That's why used past tense WERE in my post. Sure they are filling up rapidly now, no one is questioning that.

DID, not were ... I used did

19 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Although deaths will continue to climb for a bit, it appears that the epidemic has reached a plateau.

I’m not sure where you get your info from but I’m sure it’s not from a reliable source. Also I don’t think such a virus would come from a bat. Look at what is happening in India. Thailand needs to be more proactive before it gets worse. The virus emanated from the city of Wuhan. Where the Wuhan Institute of Virology is based. Now any person would put 1+1=2 together. Not listen the Chinese spin of a wet market.

B815792A-C1A3-424B-B185-99EB651EC18D.jpeg

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe he must think it is a conspiracy, beds in hospitals are empty, and it is not happening based upon the many friends he claims to have in the medical field.  Some people won't believe it even when it's staring them in the face. 

Second time I don't put enough from the original post in. My bad

My post was a response to Excel's post about all the cases that he claim the government had hidden in the past, the cases that never ended up in hospital. 

20 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The good news for today is that we won't get deluged by posts about the definition of "exponential"

The deluge was because there was no clear/short definition. With this excellent graph by @orang37 , 2839 cases/Saturday,page 7 can do just that. Notice the quadratic exponent of growth is constant with time, (2) at 6 days 36 cases. And the exponent for the exponential curve has increased from (2) at 4 days to about (2.33) at 6 days with 64 cases . And with some algebra with natural and base 10 logs if graph went to 12 days the exponential curve would show 975 cases since the exponent has increased to (2.77) 

Screenshot_2021-04-28-06-29-05-75.jpg

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Second time I don't put enough from the original post in. My bad

My post was a response to Excel's post about all the cases that he claim the government had hidden in the past, the cases that never ended up in hospital. 

Cases hidden in the past can be attributed to excess deaths. I had 3 family members in their 60's pass away in February and march of last year at home in the Udon THani Province.  Were given meds at the always full government hospital and sent home where they passed with family around them.  They were never tested, and the death was said to be respiratory in nature.  The outer provincial hospitals have always been pretty full even before Covid.  Thank you for your clarification as to the origination of your post.  Bangkok may not have been full as you claim during those times, but those were more than likely the regular wards.  Prior to field hospitals being erected all hospitals had isolation ward, negative pressure rooms for treating any and all covid positive patients.  There were always patients in the hospitals for Covid, so unless your many and vast friends worked specifically in these units and then traveled to the ASQ hotels daily you would never know this as they were keeping a lid on those folks.  I was in BNH hospital last week for an appointment and then this Monday for an appointment.  The hospital looked for all intensive purposes to be empty, but looks are deceiving.  The upper floors are fairly full in the isolation wards and critical care units.  Of course all hospitals I would think still have room for treating other than Covid patients.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This was from a facebook post from Richard Barrow who was referencing the Thai news agency website https://thematter.co/

I would imagine the info is collated from the daily CCSA and Dept of Disease Control briefs same as they do everyday.

Not sure its pointless however, its an important statistic for health professionals, why are deaths happening so quickly after being tested? Do you know why?

I have no idea (assuming it's an accurate statistic).  Maybe some of them were suffering from other diseases or had severe underlying health conditions that, sadly, accelerated their deaths?

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not for the mortality figures it is not

15 yesterday 15 today, that looks pretty much equal so flat line.  However deaths to be flat should be at 0.  That would be a good figure if they can stop all those in critical condition and on ventilators from dying.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

A quote from the link says this: "What's to keep an eye on after this is the 695 reported pneumonia patients who are now at a steady higher level".  Are they classified as Covid or Pneumonia cases?  I know that respiratory cases are a byproduct of Covid, but then list them as such.  Again this is the issue I have brought up many times and to me why it seems they are not counting all cases, and why when folks die of pneumonia they are undercounted if it was truly Covid that brought it on.  Argh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluedoc said:

I’m not sure where you get your info from but I’m sure it’s not from a reliable source. Also I don’t think such a virus would come from a bat. Look at what is happening in India. Thailand needs to be more proactive before it gets worse. The virus emanated from the city of Wuhan. Where the Wuhan Institute of Virology is based. Now any person would put 1+1=2 together. Not listen the Chinese spin of a wet market.

B815792A-C1A3-424B-B185-99EB651EC18D.jpeg

Nobody has proven it started in Wuhan.  That's where the first major outbreak happened, but the virus could have been brought in from another part of the country.

It definitely wasn't developed in a lab.  You really need a better source for your news.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not for the mortality figures it is not

Mortality is a bit after the spike in cases, right?  Let's hope that starts to flatten in the next week or so also.  Fingers crossed.

An interesting bit of info:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1387011406763941893/photo/1

Infographic by@thematterco showing the number of days (number in red circle) between being diagnosed with #COVID19 (date in green) and the patient dying (date in red). The first column is the age. The average length of time for the last 30 cases is only four days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cases hidden in the past can be attributed to excess deaths. I had 3 family members in their 60's pass away in February and march of last year at home in the Udon THani Province.  Were given meds at the always full government hospital and sent home where they passed with family around them.  They were never tested, and the death was said to be respiratory in nature.  The outer provincial hospitals have always been pretty full even before Covid.  Thank you for your clarification as to the origination of your post.  Bangkok may not have been full as you claim during those times, but those were more than likely the regular wards.  Prior to field hospitals being erected all hospitals had isolation ward, negative pressure rooms for treating any and all covid positive patients.  There were always patients in the hospitals for Covid, so unless your many and vast friends worked specifically in these units and then traveled to the ASQ hotels daily you would never know this as they were keeping a lid on those folks.  I was in BNH hospital last week for an appointment and then this Monday for an appointment.  The hospital looked for all intensive purposes to be empty, but looks are deceiving.  The upper floors are fairly full in the isolation wards and critical care units.  Of course all hospitals I would think still have room for treating other than Covid patients.

Thanks for the answer. I don't think there was any "put the lid on". I don't hear that at all.

The wife of an old friend of mine is a senior nurse at Rajawithi hospital, one of the main covid hospitals in Bangkok. Sure she works on a normal ward but being the senior nurse, it's her job to brief the other staff on her ward. They have a standard process for communication of infectious diseases which she communicates at the start of each shift she leads, if there's anything interesting to report of course. The process was there long before covid.

I don't say that she always had the number of infected at the hospital but she sometimes did, and communicated it. The numbers were up during wave 1, then went down a lot until December when it went up again. The numbers were not zero but not greater than that they could be explained by infected returnees. Could the numbers all have been made up? I don't think so. Being "an oldie" at the hospital, she knows most of the other senior nurses and I know that she knows some of the nurses at the infectious diseases floor(s). People talk. There were no discrepancies.  

Sure, some deaths have been mis-diagnised, but she would shake her head in disbelief if she heard of the "great cover-up" some believe here at TV. There's no talk about cover-ups in, Bangkok anyway, so I don't think there is one.

By the way, they quickly ran out of negative pressure rooms of course. To expand, they cleared more and more floors of "normal" patients, moved them to other floors. They are not entirely full but I bet that's because they don't allow it to happen.  

Edited by MikeyIdea

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never said it was a great cover up, I said hidden.  Ask your friend if she has access to the locked off portion of the MOPH data base showing pneumonia cases for 2020 and the number of deaths related to such.  This is one part of the true equation, and at one time until a report, that has now been scrubbed from the internet and some still have saved, the numbers were accessible.  However once that report came out on excess deaths things were put in a location few could access unless you had the password.  I listed that back in February and March when we had a discussion here on this forum prior to this wave.  It sucks that they would move things away from public view and scrutiny, but they obviously had their reasons.  Until true transparency can be done then I would take everything with that proverbial grain of salt.  There is another report running in another OP where a Doctors group that runs a page on Facebook is finally calling out the Government and Anutin.  Yes they were told not to spread information around or risk severe governmental action and only the CCSA could give out case numbers.  

Some wasn't you Ryan. 

No, she of course dosn't have access to a locked database. But I still think it's quite telling that one of the main covid hospitals in Bangkok wasn't that busy with covid between April and December.

It's quite common that only authorities give out numbers. Individual elderly homes and hospitals in Sweden were also ordered to report to the provincial authorities and not give out individual numbers. Then authorities provided the details that benefited them and conveniently left the rest out. I also really dislike that style.

Edited by MikeyIdea