Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Dear God, sometimes I wonder if people can actually understand data.

Total deaths of course is the highest just because of population, but deaths per 1M of population is not.

USA; 1,797

UK: 1,872

Italy: 2,046

France: 1,638

Belgium: 2,155

...the list goes on

So just get over yourselves and this self righteous sanctimonious belief that anything American must be bad.

Very few Governments have covered themselves in glory throughout this, but in fairness, I don't think there was a playbook to play by.

As for the US Government supplying vaccines to overseas citizens. 

No, the choice to live overseas is a personal choice. We all accept that our medicare health benefits don't travel with us, so why on earth a covid shot would baffles be.

Your choices are wait for your country of residence to vaccinate you, or you can choose to get your a**ss on a plane and get it done in the US 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

There's no harm in asking for your government to provide the vaccines. Insisting on it as a right is another matter entirely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Total deaths of course is the highest just because of population, but deaths per 1M of population is not.

USA; 1,797

...the list goes on

So just get over yourselves and this self righteous sanctimonious belief that anything American must be bad.

Very few Governments have covered themselves in glory throughout this, but in fairness, I don't think there was a playbook to play by.

No, the choice to live overseas is a personal choice. We all accept that our medicare health benefits don't travel with us, so why on earth a covid shot would baffles be.

Your choices are wait for your country of residence to vaccinate you, or you can choose to get your a**ss on a plane and get it done in the US 

1797 deaths per million is nothing to write home about, Vietnam has 0.4, New Zealand 5.

There are plenty of attributes to admire about America, exceptionalism is not one of them. For example, the speed of the vaccine rollout. Have mercy, I don't want to hear whether Trump or Biden gets the kudos.

I agree, getting a vaccine is a personal responsibility. We are all responsible for our choices in life.

I've given paid seminars on Total Quality Control, so IMO I can say I understand data.

18 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually there were playbooks. For example, after the Swine Flu episode in the USA, the government created such a playbook. It was ignored.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

If you do not change anything, likely that nothing will change.....

"1. No...it is not impossible. If the US can ship  rations to 2 seperare war zones complete with gum and 4 cigarettes then they have the logistical capability. And now with a surplus of vaccines that some idiots are choosing not to take... the supply is there."

Thailand is currently not a War Zone.  The issue not the supply of vaccines.

2. Repatriation flights are pegged at present commercial costs. 4400 was special.... not a flight to a commercial airport and not on a commercial carrier.

NEO(Non Combatant Emergency Evacuation Operations) is the technical term to evacuate Americans who are overseas due to manmade(like War) or Natural Disasters.  Generally not available on commercial carriers.  Specialized carriers like Kalita Air handle NEO operations.  Therefore these flights will cost much more(I know because in a past life I worked on the NEO coordination team in a unnamed Middle East Country).

3. System to arrange and process is already in set. You have to make an appointment for any service already. So embassy knows who... how many... and when.

Vaccinations would be a different process due to certain information would need to divulged and it would have to be in accordance with  HIPPA.  More work for Embassy Staff.

4. Let the foreign governments complain. Embassies and consulates are sovereign territory. 

Maintaining good relations with the Host Nation is mission Number 1.

5. Medical staff already present in the form of the Marine detachment who are all trained along with Corpsmen and other medical professionals.

I have never heard of a Marine Corps medical detachment attached with Marines assigned to foreign embassy to provide security.  Generally, embassy medical personnel(generally a very small unit even in a place like Kabul are small. Also, many embassy medical personnel are civilian contractors from other countries. I  The main mission is to provide immediate medical assistance to Embassy personnel and  not vaccinate expats.

6. Have you seen the US embassador residence? Outside area is  large enough to almost handle a football game.

Large enough to handle a football game(American or Global) but this does not mean the Ambassador wants American Expats coming and going on a daily basis.  This would interfere with the good order and operations of the Embassy.

7. The US State Department has as part of its mission to "support,  inform, and help" its citizens overseas.... so help already!

Support, inform and help does not mean to Vaccinate.  

So dead in the water? Not just delayed by stupidity. The British folks would give you a cup of tea with 4 sugars... no vaccine but maybe a biscuit.

Dead in Water or Dean On Arrival. The reasons for this are not important.  This is how the US Department of State generally operates in foreign countries.  The big events for the US Embassy in the past were events like:  "Study at American Universities" and/or "Buy American Products" etc, etc).  

•  
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Andre0720 said:

If you do not change anything, likely that nothing will change.....

You've inspired me. I will promptly file a complaint about the excellent quality of service at the Embassy. The gist of which is that I demand to be treated by embassy personal the way everyone else does.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Logistically very feasible.  How many expats from the US do you think there are in Thailand?  No need to enter very far onto the grounds.  Set up a big tent outside of the buildings.  Safer for unvaccinated people to not congregate inside of buildings anyway.  Appointment system?  Are you kidding?  This is so easy to do.  Easy to automate confirmation emails.  Military medics can be brought in to administer vaccines if needed, but local nurses could also be hired."

1) The exact number is unknown.  Could be at least 25,000?

2) US Embassies, in order to enter, have probably the tightest security protocols.  "A big tent"? On Wireless Road? 

3) Appointment system?  How long is the wait now for s simple service at the US Embassy or Consulate.  For passport renewals the US Embassy has been pushing mail in in order to discourage people from coming to the embassy for in person services

4) Nothing is "easy" when it comes to anything involving the US Embassy

5) Military Medics? From where?  The nearest US Military base with medics is probably in Japan or S. Korea.  The embassy reports to the State Department and Military Medics are under the control of the Defense Department.  This would require cooperation between DOS and DOD(sometimes not so much)

6) Local Nurses?  How would the Thai Government feel about that?  

7) The odds of an Embassy that charges $50 for a Notary stamp and no longer issues income letters taking on  this type of mission is Slim and none.  

As an American who has lived in several countries I have always felt rather unwelcome whenever I went to US Embassies.  This includes Thailand, Kuwait, Haiti, Kabul and Baghdad.  

What makes you think Thailand is going to invite the military from another country into their country? Why is the U.S special? What about Russia, China, North Korea, Myanmar, Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, etc? 

• Haha 1

I think the big problem is being able to provide care to the jab recipient in the event of a bad reaction. 
I believe even the private medical facilities have to demonstrate they can deal with “reactions” so in my view it’s not practical and would involve more risk for the shot receiver. 
I do however believe that the embassies could be acting as a liaison between the patients and the shot administering locations. I suspect there is probably none of that going on. Maybe for good reasons.

2 hours ago, Chris888 said:

Rob Muir - who says the guy is probably a Republican. He says they see it as unnecessary, as a weakness and infringing on their right.     Note Rob Muir - if you could read it says he is Paul Risley, a U.S. citizen, chair of Democrats Abroad, walks with his son during an interview with Reuters in Bangkok, Thailand May 11, 2021. Democrats can't even get something right when its spelled out for them. 

2 hours ago, Chris888 said:

Only a Democrat would think that US Embassies around the World would supply a vaccine. Always wanting something free.

Where is his mask?   Follow the rules of the host country first.  

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You've reminded me of the film "Johnny Goldfarb, please come home" where the American ambassador presents a Muslim prince with pigskin suitcases. Apparently based on a true story. Apologies if off topic.

At least in that instance they were making an attempt to act in a civil manner. 

I have yet to witness that phenomena in an Asian US Embassy. 

32 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

USA; 1,797

...the list goes on

I think the embassies in Thailand are not getting much help either from the host country or their own. Different countries have different rules.....I do know in Cambodia, some embassies have been able to get their citizens inoculated with the aid of the government. My niece had to fly from Canada where she was assigned for work, back to Singapore to get her vaccine, all paid for by Singapore government as they are her employer. in Singapore all long term pass holders and residents are inoculated together without the embassies needing to intervene for them to do so. And free too. In fact, some long term pass holders get vaccinated earlier than citizens as they are working in the more vulnerable sectors. 

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

What happens if you have a very bad reaction while getting your shot, sure they do not have medical personal standing by to treat you. As stated above they are not a health clinic, even there own people have to use local hospitals for treatment. I am a American Citizen and do not expect anything from my government. I made the decision to live in Thailand I accept the fact I am under the authority of the Thai Government and live by the rules they have set up. 

Edited by moe666

2 hours ago, d2b2 said:

I did contact the American embassy by email in this regard. I received a form reply that was the same as the information provided on the website. I replied to the email asking for further clarification and promptly received a professional and polite phone call from the embassy. The answers were not what I had hoped for, but they were responsive to my requests for information. The embassy staff had not yet been vaccinated at the time of the call and they did not expect any change in State Department policy regarding American taxpayers living abroad. They were hopeful that Thailand would soon be able to provide Americans with vaccine choices soon. Again, they were responsive, polite and professional.

I am guessing you work for the US embassy then.  Don't ask why your embassy should help you, ask why they should not. The British Embassy is just as bad, a bunch of useless sycophants sucking up to the Thai regime. BTW, they have all been vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamariva1957 said:

Exactly what I said!

You should read that again. The description says clearly it is a "national charitable organization". It subscribes to the principles of the Red Cross, but is not subordinate to any international organization. It is an independent entity.

• Thanks 1

It's incredible how nationalistic, selfish and self centered different nationalities have become in the covid crisis, it's like wow, were you guys really like that all along, was all the fairness and sharing part just window dressing!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Misty said:

Yes, if you're saying it's a two way street, I'd 100% agree.  Many of us pay Thai income tax, often way more than the average Thai citizen.  US citizens here also pay US income tax, which was used to pay for vaccine development.  People who have shared and contributed their tax money should indeed be treated fairly.

And those people who are neither tax payers nor work and pay income tax, should they be treated equally as fairly?

Edited by Brierley