Covid outbreaks in prisons - now Thai media shows an interest in overcrowding

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The huge spike in Covid-19 infections in Thailand's prison system has inspired the Thai media to delve into the numbers being held in various correctional facilities. 

There are now more than 10,000 inmates infected in the crowded conditions in Thai jails. 

The overcrowding and poor conditions have been a known fact for years - but until now few have seemed to care what happened to convicts. 

Daily News had the numbers in their report - though they didn't ask anyone in authority why this situation had arisen.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They gave a list of around twenty main prisons where numbers over capacity were in the hundreds up to more than a thousand, according to Department of Corrections figures from May 5th this year.

Klong Phai Central prison was 602 over. Buriram was 203, Khon Kaen 728, Udon Thani 1,256, Kalasin 1,323, Nakhon Sri Thammarat 2,104, Surat Thani 726, Krabi 747, Phuket 480, Roi-Et 685 and Narathiwat 907. There were several others that broke the 100 over barrier. 

The media said that three - Kalasin, Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Narathiwat were 50% over capacity.

Kalasin should house 1,534 inmates but there are 2,857. 

Figures from May 2nd this year suggested there were 310,830 prisoners in Thai jails - 273,465 men and 37,365 women. 

80% are in for drugs related offences. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-21

Like it was a disaster waiting to happen, you don't have to be a brainiac to figure out that a large cluster of people in small confined places is a recipe for any virus spreading quickly, but hey, This IS Thailand after all... 

• Like 1

I don't know if those numbers are right... I used to teach at Pichit prison and was told back then that the prison was initially built to house 500 male prisoners, but a part of the prison had been converted to house female prisoners... So when I was there there were over 1000 male and almost 500 female prisoners! And each prisoner had roughly 0.8 square meter living space in the cell!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Let's hope this goes international. Saw mention of it on Austalia's national broadcaster. Of course it's not just Thailand with these conditions in prisons. Many countries are guilty of treating prisoners as sub-human. By the way I believe Thailand has the highest number of female prisoners per capita in the world.

I could volunteer to take in a few of those ladies after inspection.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

They gave a list of around twenty main prisons where numbers over capacity were in the hundreds up to more than a thousand, according to Department of Corrections figures from May 5th this year.

It would be interesting to know what the standard capacity is - what they think is a reasonable amount of space. I'd take a guess that its well over what would be considered adequate in most countries.

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The death rate is probably terrible already - its highly unlikely that the true figures will ever be reported.

I dont think too much time, effort and expense will be used to quell the Covid outbreaks in the Prisons.

These people are treated with total disgust, and because they are locked away from Society, what harm can the do if not treated.

Covid outbreaks in prisons - now Thai media shows an interest in overcrowding 

I for one believe that overcrowding is the problem .

It's the People who bring the covid in the Jail , that's the problem.

Why blame the wrong people ,If there was  someone the blame it would be Management of the Jail for not doing the right thing to Prevent Covid to enter the Jail.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

If only more criminals could afford to flee to Dubai, the prisons would've been less crowded. 

With assisted passage ????

10 hours ago, pattjock said:

It's illegal with congregations of more than 20 people, looks like the department of punishment never got that memo

Do you really think anyone gives a rats a r s e about prison overcrowding,  any one? 

Keep your nose clean, and be happy that you are not on your way to a Thai or any prison, these days.

As for the criminals,  maybe it is time that they thought of their future before doing any more crime.  555, as if that is a factor for any criminal, as they are all too smart to be caught.  Silly me.

Geezer

On 5/21/2021 at 11:53 AM, worgeordie said:

If they had showed a picture of prisoners in the cells,

that would explain everything why Covid is spreading 

in prisons.

regards Worgeordie

Relevant shocking photos in BP a couple of days ago.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, Kasset Tak said:

I don't know if those numbers are right... I used to teach at Pichit prison and was told back then that the prison was initially built to house 500 male prisoners, but a part of the prison had been converted to house female prisoners... So when I was there there were over 1000 male and almost 500 female prisoners! And each prisoner had roughly 0.8 square meter living space in the cell!!!

I think the Same the Numbers are much to Low, in real most prisons are double or near triple over what the build for and  growing,the give a <deleted> inmates arrive and arrive i was in a room build for 50 inmates and sometimes the Numbers was over 150...0.8square yeah sometimes Not even that.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kasset Tak said:

They claim only two prisons are over by 50%, but looking at the various photos online crowding is so bad that even a 50% reduction would be inadequate.

• Like 1

Guess the only ones other than the prisoners and possibly a few friends and family and a couple TVF members and the news media (who have just woken up) are interested in the conditions in jail, nobody including the government give a rats a r s e for what's going on behind the bars. 

Out of sight - no concern. 

• Like 1

I live a stone's throw away from Narathiwat prison and if you see how small its area in the town is, it's unfathomable how poor the living conditions must be. Now with Covid roaming around it must be a living hell.

Edited by MarcelV
  • Like 1