Would you consider Turkey?

I don't think the lifestyle would suit you Jingthing.........Its a really right wing country

WASHINGTON / VAN, TURKEY - For hundreds of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Iranians who fled their homeland because of persecution for who they are, moving to Turkey was not a significant improvement.

Sexual and gender minorities say constant harassment and discrimination experienced in the host nation is forcing many of them to seek relocation to a third country.

Slayings of LGBT+ people: Underestimated problem. According to Article 10 of the Turkish constitution, police officers are obliged to treat all people equally. Instead, they do not protect LGBT+ people, but promote homophobia and transphobia, the lawyer said.

28 minutes ago, Hyna said:

If you were in Turkey you would already be vaccinated with Pfizer.

They want foreigners and treat them better than their own. Opposite of Thailand. 

Antalya is not islamistic. Many women from ex-USSR.

If your in Turkey its more than likely than you would be vaccinated with Sinovac not Pfizer as the Pfizer vaccine was only delivered to Turkey at the start of April and only small amounts

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkey-ranks-6th-globally-in-covid-19-vaccination-numbers/news

Anyone thinking about relocating to Turkey should be aware during Covid different sets of rules apply to Turkish citzens and foreign nationals with resident permits, Rules are relaxed only for 90 day tourists

Travel in Turkey

Nationwide curfews are in place until at least 1 July as follows:

On weekdays and Saturdays, the curfew lasts from 10pm until 5am the following morning; and

On Sundays, the curfew lasts from 10pm on Saturday evening until 5am on Monday morning.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/coronavirus

This is UK Gov website Covid rules apply to all foreign residents not just those from the UK

16 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Well I was there  in 1975 but thought of retirement  were not in my head. Greece would be a better option than Turkey

Turkey is much easier to qualify for financially. Greece might be more doable for EU people though.

No chance.

I haven't read the OP and he may make a good case, but not for me. Not sure how safe it is there, and generally speaking I don't think it's a country with a good image. Maybe a holiday but that's bout it. Also believe Istanbul is very spread out.

Apparently the airport is very impressive.

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

If your in Turkey its more than likely than you would be vaccinated with Sinovac not Pfizer as the Pfizer vaccine was only delivered to Turkey at the start of April and only small amounts

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkey-ranks-6th-globally-in-covid-19-vaccination-numbers/news

Anyone thinking about relocating to Turkey should be aware during Covid different sets of rules apply to Turkish citzens and foreign nationals with resident permits, Rules are relaxed only for 90 day tourists

Travel in Turkey

Nationwide curfews are in place until at least 1 July as follows:

On weekdays and Saturdays, the curfew lasts from 10pm until 5am the following morning; and

On Sundays, the curfew lasts from 10pm on Saturday evening until 5am on Monday morning.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/coronavirus

This is UK Gov website Covid rules apply to all foreign residents not just those from the UK

Most of the world is problematic until the pandemic is under better control globally. 

Just now, Johnny Mac said:

No chance.

I haven't read the OP and he may make a good case, but not for me. Not sure how safe it is there, and generally speaking I don't think it's a country with a good image. Maybe a holiday but that's bout it. Also believe Istanbul is very spread out.

Apparently the airport is very impressive.

So you haven't been there?

I have to admit when I did visit the place didn't much inspire me to think about retiring there. But Antalya a little but.

17 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't think the lifestyle would suit you Jingthing.........Its a really right wing country

WASHINGTON / VAN, TURKEY - For hundreds of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Iranians who fled their homeland because of persecution for who they are, moving to Turkey was not a significant improvement.

Sexual and gender minorities say constant harassment and discrimination experienced in the host nation is forcing many of them to seek relocation to a third country.

Slayings of LGBT+ people: Underestimated problem. According to Article 10 of the Turkish constitution, police officers are obliged to treat all people equally. Instead, they do not protect LGBT+ people, but promote homophobia and transphobia, the lawyer said.

I was aware of that. Not in the pro column.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Nope not been, but have read stuff and know people that have been.

Let's be honest, you ain't going to live in Turkey anyway, are you, so this is a waste of time, but something to kill a few hours I suppose.

Haven't you been banging on about leaving Thailand for years now? You best hurry up before you are too old decrepid to go anywhere and start afresh.

I will only leave Thailand if I feel forced out. I'm always interested in back up options other than repatriation. In my case there aren't many countries that I could qualify for and because Turkey appears to be one of them, it caught my interest as I learned of their improved and easier visa program. Also of course the option of Turkey or any other country is for all that are interested and could qualify, not only me.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I was there many yrs ago. I would yhink the best reason to go would be because you will apprrciate Thailand so much more. 

Have you considered moving somewhere else in Thailand? That may solve your quest. And you might be surprised that everything you like abt your area is available in other places as well. 

• Haha 1

Did some research. Property is relatively cheap, even compared to Thailand for the costal locations attracting Europeans, rentals seem to be higher, but with low cost of living. Seems quite e few Europeans have invested in property for holiday rentals. Personally I have not heard of the political swing to the Islamic right impacting Europeans living in Turkey.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Visited Istanbul once many years ago.  Nice place.  Great chicken and good beer.  Doubt I would want to live there.  Overall the people were nice but I never felt like I would be even tolerated if I tried to rent an apartment.  Just my experience but others might be feel different.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On an aside Turkey is very good for medical tourism especially teeth veneers and laser

Whilst I had mine done back in 2013 in Thailand I would happily go price wise to Turkey combining a holiday with additional dentistry if ever it was needed

• Like 1

This is 5 year graph on the weakness of the Turkish Lira.....also worth remembering it obviously includes the general weakness of Sterling/Dollar on one side of the currency pairings (albeit gradually recovering post 2016 referendum)

Certainly value for money it would appear. Decent thread OP this one...

Got me thinking as well

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 08-11-08 sterling turkish lira - Google Search.png

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, timendres said:

That would override every other consideration for me.

now on the other hand i lived next to a mosque in Egypt i adore the call to pay i find it hypnotic and relaxing

And i prefer Islam and enjoy the culture of Muslim countries  to Buddhist ones any day

Also on a more base level

Turkish food has to wipe the floor with Thai food

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

I'd consider it and I've been following reports regarding the ease of getting temporary residency with interest.

That being said, I think if I had to leave Thailand, I would go to a place with not just easy immigration, but ZERO immigration. To make up for all the nonsense I've encountered here. So Turkey would be a plan C option, while an EU country such as Greece or Spain would be plan B.

I've holidayed in Turkey and I've found that English is fine in any of the popular seaside resorts I'd consider. An occasional trip to Istanbul, and as said, thanks to the central location visiting both Europe and Asia would be easy from there.

• Like 2