If you had no choice but to leave Thailand for an extended period , where would you move and why?

If you had no choice but to leave Thailand for an extended period , where would you move and why?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know the denizens here are in love (or in lust) with Thailand. 

But what if....what if visas for foreigners were rescinded or not renewable for 1 or 2 years, due to covid/political strife/anything. 

Assuming "going home" is out of the question. 

Where would you move for a year or two (or longer) to create a life? Why?

• Like 1

Education of my kids has to take first priority; they were doing fine in Thailand until the last lockdown, and next (school) year is pretty serious  for my eldest, so we can take no chances.

We would either go to Singapore , where we have lived before , or back to Uk. 

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If it was not for my Thai wife, I would move to Greece in a heartbeat . Nice climate, great food, I speak the language to the point where if I don' t talk too much I can pass for a native.  and because of my parents I can qualify for a Greek passport.

It is an EU country , so for most Europeans it is easy to retire there, but even if not, an investment of 250K Euros in Real estate (about 280K after tax) will get you permanent residency.  Nice dry summers, a little bit of winter to get your ski fix, . We are going there end of this summer and I am getting my Greek passport, all I need is to produce some documents that I already have. Then we will see. 

You listed the positives of Greece but not the negatives with the crazy taxations in property, solidarity taxes to name a few which you will have to pay as a resident. Other than that I agree with you that Greece could make a perfect retirement place specially if someone has the funds. 

• Thanks 1

Being stuck for 15 months in the UK I think it classifies as 'extended period'.

I'd always come back home. 

I just would not get stuck in this dire skid mark in your grundies town known as Blackpool next time.

This said, I'd probably turf out my tenant in my house along the river Thames after tenancy ended, no better place on earth to live than my home town,

4 minutes ago, capriole said:

You listed the positives of Greece but not the negatives with the crazy taxations in property, solidarity taxes to name a few which you will have to pay as a resident. Other than that I agree with you that Greece could make a perfect retirement place specially if someone has the funds. 

As with every place there are a few negatives.

Fuel is expensive, electric rates are (I think) the highest in Europe, But  for the most part the negatives are balanced by the positives. My brother has retired there, and lives a comfortable life on about a $2000 a month   pension. He has a big property in Agion in the Peloponnese , a few minutes from the beach, and he pays about 600 euros a year property tax.  If I moved there I would rent for a while, rents are very cheap, 

Anyway, now that I am retired, and have the time, I will look into it when I go there this summer. I would go now, but I want to make sure I can get back without quarantine. that's why I keep saying end of summer, by then I will have a better idea what's going on with covid in Thailand.  

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd buy a run down farmhouse in France, and camp in it until I was deported.

Drink a lot of cheap wine, eat a lot of cheese, and grow cannabis.

Sounds like heaven...only allowed 90 days now...... thanks to Bunter.

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

No fixed idea now but probably in the area of Rome where all the cuisine and the theater is queen at least before Covid and the winter is pleasant and the population has a knowledge of living well.

Rome....blew me away.......went a couple of years ago......absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Good idea .

That said , i will not buy property again .

That said , i will not say , I Do , again ....55

Definitely none of the countries on this list. If I had to leave Thailand due to visa issues, as per the OP's scenario, I would most likely move to a country where I don't have to deal with immigration at all. Which means the EU in my case, and my most likely pick would be either Spain or Greece.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Absolutely perfect! But don't buy the run down farmhouse. Just OCCUPY it. (just tell 'em, that you are a staunch communist and you don't like the capitalist ways).

After 90 days do the same in Portugal. Then in Spain. The rest of the year you will be spending in Switzerland, claiming to be a refugee from Afghanistan. Then start over in France. Rinse and repeat.

Disadvantages: France das 250 different kinds of cheese. You will never know wich one you like best.
                             Portugal: The local Music (the Fado) is so sad, you will leave Portugal with a serious depression.
                             Spain: To approch the "Senioritas", you must prove that you are a trustworthy Catholic and offer marriage.
                            Switzerland: The boredom (in comfort) will drive you back to the 250 different cheeses in France. OR: More likely, end up in Thailand again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cant happen. expats here have thai kids / wife/ property / residence  / business etc.

so cant just be forced out (barring CCP style takeover......)

everywhere has pros & cons. we are settled here for very good reasons having considered the options many years ago.we shall not be moved !

however places I have enjoyed living / working the most are Spain / Italy / Malaysia