Not again! Another website used by foreigners in Thailand suffers massive data breach

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:
22 minutes ago, impulse said:

If he had to change aspects of the URL to see the data, that's a hack. 

Exactly.

Now you're just ignoring your own definition of hacking!  By your own definition, there was no hacking!

• Thanks 1

Putting the term hacking aside, I think the responsible course of action here would be to inform this issue to Bangkok Immigration directly. That way the problem can be solved without inviting more bad actors to harvest data. However, if there was no response after repeated attempts at communication, going public may have been necessary.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

Let's look at Dictionary.com...  Underlining is my emphasis...

Computers.

to modify (a computer program or electronic device) or write (a program) in a skillful or clever way:

• Developers have hacked the app.
  • I hacked my tablet to do some very cool things.

to circumvent security and break into (a network, computer, file, etc.), often with malicious intent:

• Criminals hacked the bank's servers yesterday.
  • Our cybersecurity team systematically hacks our network to find vulnerabilities.

White hat hacks are still hacks.  He entered the website in a manner not intended by the developer.  To do that, he manipulated the URL.  That's a hack.  Not a very sophisticated one, for sure.

Where the claim of hacking fails ALL of the definitions of hacking that have been offered, including the definition that I provided based on the actual laws in Thailand about hacking (this post),  is with the circumventing of security.

The site had NO security.

If the site admin/developer had used an SSL cert then there could be a claim that the site had at least some kind of security.  Though even that would simply be security to prevent man in the middle snooping/hacking.   Changing a URL would not be circumventing SSL security.

The admin/developer needed to have something set up to secure the data in order for there to be someone for a person to circumvent/hack!

• Thanks 2

If you discover that it is possible to look inside a neighbours bedroom with a telescope, this is illegal. So the correct course of action would be to refrain from looking and discreetly inform that neighbour to close their curtains, NOT to tell the whole street that the view is on offer!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

These people have no idea how to develop code.  They are literally back in the 1990s in their web development practices.
I jokingly said awhile back that contracts to produce Thai government websites like this one are given to some big-wigs kid or nephew in university.  Now I'm betting I'm not far off.  No date security at all.

Lax security.  My son is buddies with one of the few internet key holders - the folks who control the domain name system security.  Serious business. 

When you click on the new 'report bug' button on the Thailandintervac site it says at the bottom:

"Some bugs on the websites may not safe for other, So please report us immediately and don't share it to public that would help."

They might get upset with Richard for sharing it to the public.  Of course it does also say 'So please report us immediately' not 'So please report it to us immediately"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

When you click on the new 'report bug' button on the Thailandintervac site it says at the bottom:

"Some bugs on the websites may not safe for other, So please report us immediately and don't share it to public that would help."

They might get upset with Richard for sharing it to the public.  Of course it does also say 'So please report us immediately' not 'So please report it to us immediately"

He did report them immediately in a manner of speaking.  To the rest of the world.

Run by the same folks trying to route all internet traffic through government monitoring servers in Bangkok to prevent Thais from seeing stuff Paternalistic Big Somchai doesn’t want them seeing because it embarrasses their self image.

The government internet comprehension and computing resources are truly 3rd world. Not so much the criminal class of course. The major embarrassment is continuous government own goals.

12 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I think Mr Barrow is pushing his luck with publicising these data breaches. Gaining unauthorised access to any system and its data is, by definition, HACKING. Whether he used website parameter hacking, CSS, CSRF, or SQL injection is irrelevant. He has gained unauthorised access to the database, retrieved data and published the fact. Had Mr Barrow had legal permission to perform the hack (as an Ethical Hacker) the correct course of action should have been to inform the owner of the website/database of the breach so that they could take immediate remedial action.

He's doing the right thing. The Thais would not react unless they publicly lose face. That's how it works here. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For the second time in as many days, an official website used by foreigners in Thailand has purportedly suffered a data breach.

The digital hub of Asia... can't even secure a web-site.

The recently ammended Computer Crimes Act (2017) is extremely broad, and can be used to charge pretty much anyone (who is deemed an enemy of the state) with anything remotely connected to a phone/pc and the interwebs.

If a student protester or a rival party member had done this, well, they'd be toast.

Personally my issue is with the insecure system(s), rather than how this was exposed. Without this sort of public shaming this would have gone on for months or years more.

Will be interesting to watch as Thai folks exploit these sorts of security issues on Thai websites, and expose the shenanigans of the the various PtB. 

• Like 2