Physicians urge for strict measures, no long holidays, before reopening Thailand

webfact

It is all well and good that those government workers, doctors and officials who suggest and often implement the Covid related rules and are on a government paid salary are not effected and do not consider the millions without!!

Maybe they should start giving a percentage of their salary towards those who have no income, sure there is a risk but If the country doesn't open soon there will be a real disaster in another area so it needs to be a sensible and balanced plan to reopen. 

FYI there were less global fatalities in 2020 than there was in 2018 so it will be interesting to see what 2021 is!!! 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So  what is it you re saying here, Covid is a benefit and doing the job a vet might normally do? 

Well I understood @NorthernRyland meant that maybe some of the people who died WITH Covid had underlying conditions and Covid just highlighted their deaths?

The ongoing difference between dying OF Covid or dying WITH Covid.

The College of Physicians don't seem to recall that for the last quarter of a century, that I remember, all was kept more or less clean with the occasional drainage of raw sewage in the seas. Everyone except farang showered and now, all of a sudden, there is a deluge.  What more can be done? You wash your hands (basic hygiene) and keep your surroundings clean. NO mention of Dengue this year? It has gone away? What about bacterial infections due to unclean water? it has gone away? Malaria was never a critical issue but what about now?  Smog and particulate matter that simply clouded Chiang Mai and Bangkok- not such a big problem these days. It's ignored. The winds will blow it somewhere.  You lose more people everyday owing to road injuries and road kills. Many, many, many more than your little flu my dear College of Physicians. Please give us your complete list of what to do and what not to do!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well I understood @NorthernRyland meant that maybe some of the people who died WITH Covid had underlying conditions and Covid just highlighted their deaths?

The ongoing difference between dying OF Covid or dying WITH Covid.

Not much of a highlight for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

we are in critical period right now

the next couple of days weeks months and years

will be essential

communism, capitalism,

imperialism, humanism. 

survivalism, realism, vaccism ……

"ism" seems to be a variant which comes from the words schizo and schism

• Confused 2

Hopefully those in power cancel July holiday in hopes

Of getting it right to open the country... school just started 

-Does school require X amount of days attendance before going to next grade level...  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mancub said:

Phew ....that's an awful lot on one lung-full !????

umm what to say...eu uk usa are all weeks away from opening up and clearing their economies.not so here obviously and from what ive read and im hearing the china vacc gives low cover less than 50% ,people i know in hk wont use it,theyre scared of it.the drs here also state they think vaccs may not work on mutations ,i think that seems to indicate a lack of confidence in china vacc i could be mistaken but most people ive spoken with dont want it.the az pfizer and moderna PARAGRAPHS ARE A USEFUL AID TO READABILITY shots seem to offer a lot more cover on new  and old strains.most importantly theres not enough vaccs and for us its complicated to get it.its a muddle of epic proportions.id like to get out shortly  but even thats not straightforward as the info on that changes so fast.i wanna go to southern europe,but what do we need to get there.dancng with the devil here,its all done on apps and phone computers,the stuff works sometimes but i m not very good at it and i dont like being trakked a la 1984.i just wanna walk in a place get a shot,pay for it,i was signed up with a private hospital but the govt stopped that way out,why thats insane?people can get cover ,that helps the overall situation and the individual,makes no sense what so ever,i just want the paper or cert so i can fly and have some type of normality in my life.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, robsamui said:

umm what to say...eu uk usa are all weeks away from opening up and clearing their economies.

My pals in the UK say ......... everything still closed with no signs of anything opening .... just talk.

Same as Thailand really!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magenta408 said:

Smog and particulate matter that simply clouded Chiang Mai and Bangkok- not such a big problem these days. It's ignored. 

Smog left in March, no point in talking about something that isn't a problem at the moment.

Least smog in the last 5 years as far as I could tell.

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I estimate Thailand has a little under 500k deaths per year. Are we sure these people were not very elderly and going to die soon anyways from natural causes? 30 deaths a day is only 10k/year, a tiny fraction of all deaths.

Or is the data specific - deaths caused by acquiring the Covid 19 virus? 

13 hours ago, nkg said:

I take it all the members of RCPT have jobs. Perhaps they would like to contribute some of their salaries to help the millions out of work following the collapse of Thailand's tourism industry. No?

There's a surprise.

I agree… it’s no surprise … but… i think that it’s the same as statements made by the various “hotel” trade groups and associations.

Each one has their own “priorities” and they tend to be rather singular in track or focus…. 

Therefore the RCPTs position and statements will naturally reflect that priority…. so… I don’t think there’s anything overtly wrong per se, with the RCPTs statement as that’s where their membership is coming from.. same from the hotels trade group, restaurants trade groups, airline trade groups, etc …

but do agree with you in that I think each group tends to speak to the matter without looking at the much larger picture - but only based on how their own membership will benefit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

The College of Physicians don't seem to recall that for the last quarter of a century, that I remember, all was kept more or less clean with the occasional drainage of raw sewage in the seas. Everyone except farang showered and now, all of a sudden, there is a deluge.  What more can be done? You wash your hands (basic hygiene) and keep your surroundings clean. NO mention of Dengue this year? It has gone away? What about bacterial infections due to unclean water? it has gone away? Malaria was never a critical issue but what about now?  Smog and particulate matter that simply clouded Chiang Mai and Bangkok- not such a big problem these days. It's ignored. The winds will blow it somewhere.  You lose more people everyday owing to road injuries and road kills. Many, many, many more than your little flu my dear College of Physicians. Please give us your complete list of what to do and what not to do!

Until you accept that the covid 19 virus is not a flu virus, it's dubious that anyone with genuine knowledge of the subject will pay you much attention, much less The College of Physicians.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, new2here said:

I agree… it’s no surprise … but… i think that it’s the same as statements made by the various “hotel” trade groups and associations.

Each one has their own “priorities” and they tend to be rather singular in track or focus…. 

Therefore the RCPTs position and statements will naturally reflect that priority…. so… I don’t think there’s anything overtly wrong per se, with the RCPTs statement as that’s where their membership is coming from.. same from the hotels trade group, restaurants trade groups, airline trade groups, etc …

but do agree with you in that I think each group tends to speak to the matter without looking at the much larger picture - but only based on how their own membership will benefit.

And the RCPT members will benefit how?

5 hours ago, DjSilver said:

The cases and death in Thailand are low. They shouldn't have any restrictions unless they have had at least 7 million people with covid-19 or around 100k death of covid-19. 

does this rely on the thai government keeping accurate statistics and telling the truth to the public?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Hopefully those in power cancel July holiday in hopes

Of getting it right to open the country... school just started 

-Does school require X amount of days attendance before going to next grade level...  

My son in M5 is due to start school again on Monday. He lost 2 months schooling last year due to Covid and another 2 months so far this year.

10 hours ago, monty1412 said:

what a strange comment...would you rather they dont have jobs ?.. at a time where the government needs direction and guidance the RCPT seems to be making sense  and providing this yet you seem to have some issue with this  Personally I saw this  post and direction the RCPT have suggested as being one of the more enlightened posts we have seen 

Lockdowns ( and this includes tourism ) have to go hand in hand with financial support for those grieviously affected .

As the Thai government has completely neglected the later component , we now have the current shambolic situation.

Given the criminal negligence of the vaccine effort , its either fully open up or cripple a key component of the economy and impoverish a fair chunk of the population.

Not a good choice as there will be serious repurcusions either way , just as well for the current administration that they will not be held to account.

11 hours ago, kennw said:

What surprises me is that some people rather selfishly put money before peoples lives

Since the start of covid, suicides in Thailand have gone up by 11% - more than 500 additional deaths. Millions more are struggling desperately to provide for their families.

The rate of suicide had already been increasing year-on-year in Thailand pre-pandemic, but during Covid-19, the figure leapt by 11 per cent from 2019 to the end of 2020, from 4,581 to 5,085 deaths, according to statistics from the Ministry for Health. 

Economic issues have accounted for around 80 per cent of the calls to the Samaritans during the pandemic. “We are worried about people,” he said, saying many are calling the service desperate about their financial situation. “For example, they tell us they only have 20 baht (45p) left and they don't know what to do, they need to buy milk for their child,” he said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/suicides-rise-thailand-covid-decimates-tourism-industry/

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pals in the UK say ......... everything still closed with no signs of anything opening .... just talk.

Same as Thailand really!

I am in the UK and a lot of things are open such as pubs, restaurants and shops. It appears that the remaining things will re-open next month, with the operative word being "remaining".

15 hours ago, the green light said:

still quite puzzled

"reopen to foreign visitors in 120 days, at a time when new COVID-19 infections are not slowing, "

1. reopening to fully vaccinated tourism.. are they safe?

Yes... can they infect others ? No - what is the issue here? Pure ignorance on the medical assurance that the vaccine is work.

Infection will slow when the vaccine vaccination program is in full swing. That is Thai concern and has nothing to do with fully vaccinated tourists arriving in Thailand.

the whole article does not make sense.

wrong

“Fully vaccinated” doesn't mean “immune to COVID-19” While the vaccines are potent, there's still a chance that you could become infected.

Fully vaccinated people have a reduced risk of transmitting SARS-CoV-2 to unvaccinated people. Fully vaccinated people should still get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms

Stop spreading lies .

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Beheading the messenger is still practiced here? No wonder Thais tell foreigners what they think they want to hear.

Doesn't matter anyway, there is no evidence Prayut and his colleagues are listening to the science.

Is there a scientist or doctor even on the CCSA, I would expect not.

It's all corrupt cronies of Too handpicked to spout nonsense.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:31 AM, Lacessit said:

Beheading the messenger is still practiced here? No wonder Thais tell foreigners what they think they want to hear.

Doesn't matter anyway, there is no evidence Prayut and his colleagues are listening to the science.

Does the science talk? 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, placeholder said:

And the RCPT members will benefit how?

… by influencing public policy towards their groups position (which appears to be opposite of the “open up” side)… the “benefit” does not necessarily have to be financial - but can also be influencing public policy or regulation towards positions that are aligned to the groups position. 

56 minutes ago, new2here said:

… by influencing public policy towards their groups position (which appears to be opposite of the “open up” side)… the “benefit” does not necessarily have to be financial - but can also be influencing public policy or regulation towards positions that are aligned to the groups position. 

But of what advocates for a cause can't that be said?

17 minutes ago, casey1 said:

they aren't comparable,  road deaths are a far more dangerous threat especially in Thailand to the vast majority than a virus.... that is fact not fiction, being heavily borne out the longer this goes on... which one should we be worried about more... my posted comment was in relation to the poorly worded and considered opinion of one using emotional claptrap without thought to the consequences of their desire of control the vast majority for the benefit  a minute few ...unfortunately we as humans we have a tendency to believe we can legislate fairness and equality to everyone no matter creed belief rich poor or even a persons natural propensity to be at risk more than the next person.... simply it cannot be done, history since time immortal has proved this over and over again... there will always be some for whom the bells tolls way too early for whatever reason, but that should not mean the vast majority should have to be held accountable or in bondage and subservience...

Because traffic accidents are contagious and threaten to overwhelm hospitals? Even with the still relatively low rate of infection in Thailand, Bangkok's critical care beds are full up. Whaddya think's gonna happen throughout the country if restrictions are eased?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because traffic accidents are contagious and threaten to overwhelm hospitals? Even with the still relatively low rate of infection in Thailand, Bangkok's critical care beds are full up. Whaddya think's gonna happen if restrictions are eased?

Which restrictions are you thinking might be eased?  The only ones left are schools and gyms in some provinces (like Bangkok) and bars/clubs.  Unless you're including things like not allowing alcohol to be served in restaurants.  

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Because traffic accidents are contagious and threaten to overwhelm hospitals? Even with the still relatively low rate of infection in Thailand, Bangkok's critical care beds are full up. Whaddya think's gonna happen if restrictions are eased?

not sure where you got full up acute records from but certainly not true....and most definitely not overwhelmed ... but correct...that's the question isn't it.... what's going to happen?... we are going to see soon enough.....my biggest issue has always been the same all the way along, not just here, but in every country, the mass oxymoron decisions made based on wealth status and or influence to is allowed to carry on as normal and who isn't ... why simply for example if you were diplomat you were excused from isolation or in the armed services excused also ....or close the bars at 10 ...  no rational thought has prevailed anywhere... it has all been based on cherry picking science and Psuedo experts mixed with completely erroneous modelling and experts 15mins of fame.... the poor average joe hasn't been allowed to make any informed decisions themselves....bit like smoking.....or drinking too much or whatever..... you cannot get away from the reality stronger more than ever, the overwhelming vast majority have no risk from covid which I'm sure will rise howls of derision from those whom believe simply a positive test is a death sentence

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, casey1 said:

not sure where you got full up acute records from but certainly not true....and most definitely not overwhelmed ... but correct...that's the question isn't it.... what's going to happen?... we are going to see soon enough.....my biggest issue has always been the same all the way along, not just here, but in every country, the mass oxymoron decisions made based on wealth status and or influence to is allowed to carry on as normal and who isn't ... why simply for example if you were diplomat you were excused from isolation or in the armed services excused also ....or close the bars at 10 ...  no rational thought has prevailed anywhere... it has all been based on cherry picking science and Psuedo experts mixed with completely erroneous modelling and experts 15mins of fame.... the poor average joe hasn't been allowed to make any informed decisions themselves....bit like smoking.....or drinking too much or whatever..... you cannot get away from the reality stronger more than ever, the overwhelming vast majority have no risk from covid which I'm sure will rise howls of derision from those whom believe simply a positive test is a death sentence

One place I got it from is here:

Leading doctor calls for Bangkok lockdown

“Each hospital is trying not to test that many people because there is not enough bed for when they have tested positive,” Dr Nitipat.

“We can no longer add any more bed for patients in severity level 2 and 3,” he added.

Patients in severity level 1 will normally require a ventilator to breathe.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28921/leading-doctor-calls-for-bangkok-lockdown/

We can't link to the Bangkok Post but if you use this search term you should be able to find the article: 

Covid beds running out Only 20 left for emergency patients

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

One place I got it from is here:

Leading doctor calls for Bangkok lockdown

“Each hospital is trying not to test that many people because there is not enough bed for when they have tested positive,” Dr Nitipat.

“We can no longer add any more bed for patients in severity level 2 and 3,” he added.

Patients in severity level 1 will normally require a ventilator to breathe.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28921/leading-doctor-calls-for-bangkok-lockdown/

one doctor comment does make it true necessarily... and from my extended family experiences in the last two weeks at four hospitals certainly not true

further

Each hospital is trying not to test that many people because there is not enough bed for when they have tested positive,

lets look at what's been said here....this doctor is inferring everyone whom tests positive needs a bed... simply complete nonsense...but adds weight to the good doctors quoted comments and his moment of fame...

I have serious doubts he can vouch for every hospital across Bangkok most are private businesses  wanting each others clients and not likely to share commercially sensitive information with each other...

I know of several businesses whom are testing the thousands of employees every week for covid, not all whom test positive A staggeringly minute number considering the proximity to each other they all work in and face masks regularly not in evidence end up in hospital....that's simple reality not possible... go home and self isolate.....