ASEANNOW.com - Thaivisa.com rebrands and expands beyond Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Please bring back the foreign news section. It was fun posting all the bad news from the UK following its financial suicide, otherwise known as Brexit.

I miss that, and all the anti-Trump supremacists moaning every day. 

8 minutes ago, Poet said:

Thailand expat Facebook groups tend to be far better than the forums. You can almost always find a group whose tone suits you and, in general, the moderators tend to be less ego-driven, leading to far more interesting discussions.

That may well be the case, have to admit haven't looked into them much at all. It's the platform I have issues with; not so easy to find "threads", search is on par if not worse than here, constantly injecting <deleted> into the timeline I've no interest in and of course the data harvesting. 

That said, I'll have a look around again when I get a chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

If you click the “theme” drop down below at bottom of page next to the “contact us” you can change it back by selecting the other option. 

You even get some purple back!

Now that seems to have disappeared so the font size/style is back to "very hard to see" mode??????

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Have fun everyone it has been a slice.  One of the things I remember the most about here was the GRAND OPENING of the THAI VISA BAR.

I remember their advertising member parties for the bar. I often wondered is there were any fistfights that happened.

19 minutes ago, sixlegs said:

As the general interest in Thailand drops, so does the revenue from advertisements on a platform that delives information about it, naturally.

Good move imho.

That's a good point.

To wit:

55 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Personally I use a browser plugin called Stylus to alleviate site issues, if you have the knowledge or willing to learn it's worth having a play. Just about got it back to the way I like it:

I went to install and got the following message during installation. I read this as they can read ALL my financials and ALL my passwords:

all_my_info.jpg

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

they should have maybe started a thread explaining what was going to happen and asked for suggestions for a new name. There might have been some funny ones but also something better than the new one.

As for all the complaints about who owns it, where it is based and members fears for their personal information. Well it just means there is now space for a new Thailand  centric competitor website if someone is willing to set one up.

How much would be the costs to do so?How much would be the monthly costs if you start without advertisers?

21 minutes ago, J Town said:

I went to install and got the following message during installation. I read this as they can read ALL my financials and ALL my passwords:

Yes, everything in life has risks attached so it comes down to how risk averse you are and what processes you implement to mitigate said risks.

That is what would be classed as a "High alert" risk level:

When the permission requires access to all data on your computer and the websites you visit, it means that the app or extension can access almost anything. This could be your webcam or personal files, inside or outside of your browser.

Those level extensions I install in my day to day time wasting browser. For banking, shopping etc. I use a separate browser. Doesn't 100% protect against such risks but cest la vie.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Personally I use a browser plugin called Stylus to alleviate site issues, if you have the knowledge or willing to learn it's worth having a play. Just about got it back to the way I like it:

Thanks, that fixed it for me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now that seems to have disappeared so the font size/style is back to "very hard to see" mode??????

Yep. 
Looks like they want to get rid of anything purple and easy to read. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, asiacurious said:

I've always relied on Google for searching this site.  Much better results that the internal search engine. 

At least until Google re-crawls the site, you will still want to use "thaivisa.com" as the site name if you're using google.

For example, searching this on Google:

90 day report site:thaivisa.com

Gets you about 11,600 results.....

image.png.56ec2bfa87cdde784265e7019bc59f44.png

But searching this:

90 day report site:aseannow.com

Only gets you 4 results.....

image.png.417d308c1df42b2234df2154334feb1b.png

Yeah i always search using Google but still not great, couldn't find a thread I posted only yesterday. I gave up on the site search years ago

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Please bring back the foreign news section. It was fun posting all the bad news from the UK following its financial suicide, otherwise known as Brexit.

It is rumoured that the owners of ASEAN NOW will shortly be creating a new forum called EUSSR NOW

• Like 1
  • Sad 1