Academics: Thai govt does not provide enough vaccine options for citizens and insists on buying the Sinovac vaccine

I'm sure that the Sinovac is being bought in some kind of a barter for other Thai goods while the others are for cash and there is in high demand and not enough of it to go around so for the moment Thailand is stuck with the Chinese products...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Are, Moderna  and Pfizer as available for purchase and delivery as Sinovac and at the same price? And is Moderna  and Pfizer as easy to ship and maintain in provincial settings?  "

Ahh, the government of Government just recently announced it's intention to purchase Pfizer and Moderna.  A little late to the party. Transporting and storing these two vaccines are challenging but at least the major cities of Bangkokn, Chiang Mai and Pattaya would have been a good start.  A good start like maybe in March or April of 2022.  Then this new wave might not have been as bad.  By the time Pfizer and Moderna actually arrive in Bangkok it might be too late to the save the Thai Economy.  Realistically Pfizer and Moderna will arrive in late 2022.  This could mean another "high season" will be not possible.  

Also, what price would anyone pay to save the country?  Go cheap and save money or Go Big and save the country and economy?  

image.thumb.png.57f67e4cdc5812df5c1b2ab057091ef7.png

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think the Thai government has ever declared sinovac as the preferred/primary vaccine, its just the one that's been immediately available, cheap, accessible etc.

So right. They just didn't advance order any others!

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

Are, Moderna  and Pfizer as available for purchase and delivery as Sinovac and at the same price? And is Moderna  and Pfizer as easy to ship and maintain in provincial settings?  

I rather suspect that purchasing Moderna and Pfizer on the open market (remember Thailand opted out of the international distribution scheme for reasons which whilst perhaps rather opaque, don't require the brains of an archbishop to understand) requires cash - up front. Chinese vaccines are quite likely accompanied by a "line of credit"!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Academics stated that the Thai government does not give its citizens enough options for Corona vaccines, noting that the Thai government’s decision that the Chinese Sinovac vaccine will be the primary vaccine for Thailand, and its insistence on buying more of the Sinovac vaccine, raises questions and doubts among many about Chinese companies paying money to the Thai government to accept Sinovac as the main choice for vaccines in Thailand

There must not be many economists in that lot of "Thai academics."  If there was they would note that first, Sinovac is not the primary vaccine for Thailand - Siam BS' AstraZeneca is.  And second, there is a major Thai stakeholder, CP, who directly benefits from the import and sale of Sinovac, just like Siam BS directly benefits from the manufacture and sale of AZ. 
Is Sinovac paying the Thai government under the table as noted in the article.  I'd rack that up as speculation, and unless proved, simple 'fake news' that actually borders on defamation. If I was the journalist writing this piece as well as the publisher, I would tread lightly with those allegations. CP as a for-profit business entity is going to sell as much Sinovac as the market will handle for the goal of making profits.  Same as Siam BS.
The only question that is obvious was all the foot-dragging to initially procure any vaccines but AZ and Sinovac which reeked of government protectionism.  It wasn't until the government received a boat-load of flak both domestically and on the world stage that the embarrassment and seeming lost of face greased the wheels to allow the procurement of relatively small amounts of Western vaccines that will be sold in private hospitals for extremely inflated prices.  A move that placated the critics and will milk that wallets of foreigners and well-heeled Thais.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

Are, Moderna  and Pfizer as available for purchase and delivery as Sinovac and at the same price? And is Moderna  and Pfizer as easy to ship and maintain in provincial settings?  

Possibly not, however they do work ....!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Possibly not, however they do work ....!!!

In management there is a saying "don't let  the perfect be the enemy of the good, "

I have no idea if Thai politicians were bribed to go with Sinovac, but I know that it was more readily available, it was easier transportable and stored, and less expensive, So if I was in the Thai government I would have to make a decision. Do I want a bird in the hand, or wait for two in the bush. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1