Details of vaccine procurement cannot be made public because contracts say so – DPM Wissanu

webfact

now I know many inaccuracies are printed, folks are often misquoted and all this on top of endless management layers and further confused by poor translations. But to think every Thai official is lying is just stupid - yet so many that contribute here believe just that. Take a good hard look homeward and I'll think you'll find there's a lot greater chance of you being deceived by your own kind than these folks and history proves that out time and time again..

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I do not believe this, at all. 

Corporations have to be transparent, especially when dealing with governments.

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Bogus. Only someone trying to hide something would say this.

Even if it does, amend the contract.

And this guy is the legal whiz? Honestly.

Yes, I'll stipulate that riders may be confidential, esp. re: pricing and discounts.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/questions-and-answers-covid-19-vaccination-eu_en#25

Are Contracts with Companies Publicly Available

The focus for the (EU) Commision is the protection of public health and securing the best possible agreements with companies so that vaccines are affordable, safe and efficacious.

Contracts are protected for confidentiality reasons, which is warranted by the highly competitive nature of this global market. This is in order to protect sensitive negotiations as well as business related information, such as financial information and development and production plans.

Disclosing sensitive business information would also undermine the tendering process and have potentially far-reaching consequences for the ability of the Commission to carry out its tasks as set out in the legal instruments that form the basis of the negotiations. All companies require that such sensitive business information remains confidential between the signatories of the contract. The Commission therefore has to respect the contracts it concludes with the companies.

The Commission has published redacted contracts of the advance purchase agreement agreement with CureVac and with AstraZeneca.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

They don’t want countries to see what country A is paying vs country B.

Ah yes, price fixing, that's not at all illegal.

Different end-user consumer prices in different geographies, for the same product are well known.

Do you think country A cannot speak to country B?

The U.S. does have strong laws re: FCPA, so details need to be known regarding purchase prices and contracts, both buying and selling outside the U.S.

There's more to this than just pricing, and IP.

I'm pretty surprised western governments are going along with his scheme. What would companies do if the contract details were released? Take legal action? Hold back supplies?

Canada releases redacted versions of COVID-19 vaccine contracts

“There’s no reason why Canadians shouldn’t have access to details given the amount of public expenditure,” Conservative MP Michelle Rempel Garner said, adding it should not have taken eight months to release the limited information.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-releases-redacted-versions-of-covid-19-vaccine-contracts/

I still can't believe there is no transparency. I guess when we're scared we let our governments run free.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

government inoculation programs or on behalf of private companies, cannot be made public because the contracts say so

I don't think they would be legally binding contracts. I mean delivery quantities and delivery dates are not being kept most of the time and even the pricing seems to vary as well.( to many reasons to sue the suppliers)

They may just be purchase orders which in that case is a hole different ball game.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam explained today (Tuesday) that details of all vaccine procurement contracts, signed between the country’s Ministry of Public Health and vaccine producers, either for government inoculation programs or on behalf of private companies, cannot be made public because the contracts say so

No transparency then... or complete garbage.

Every single dodgy dealing since 2014, Wissanu is trottred out to wave the crowd on, from the Army park, to watches, to subs, and beyond.

If there is such a clause its unlikely western executives would be stupid enough to play kickback games with this infamous mob of criminals, this far along the timeline, but then again, there's no ceiling on stupid, even in "the west".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

I know I'm being redundant at this point, but I truly can't believe that it took less than 6 months of living in Thailand to make me long for the patent lies, ineptitude and corruption of the US government

And as the song says, "you ain't seen nothing yet".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1