Schools closed in Chiang Mai .......... again.

BritManToo

Adults often don't follow the covid rules, it's very unlikely that kids will.  Schools probably won't go back to normal for a long time.  Definitely in Bangkok, but probably in major cities as well.  It only takes one case.

Having teachers vaccinated is meaningless as it doesn't stop spread from them or from other kids.  I can't see schools returning fully until most people are vaccinated and if the kids catch it they aren't going to kill their parents or grandparents.  Could be that they'll keep closing them until the kids are vaccinated as well.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK none of the schoolkids in Chiang Rai got back to school after the last holidays. My Thai quasi-grand-daughter has been in the house since the holidays ended.

I know a school supervisor. He told me they're just writing off the first half of this school year. All students will pass with a minimum unless they want to take some online tests. They hope to get back to SOME kind of actual teaching after October break.

• Thanks 1

Same in our little province of Nongbualamphu. My son told me on Sunday 'no school tomorrow'. Sure enough, school closed for two weeks. Local swimming pool locked shut yesterday. Maybe Thailand is under lockdown and no-one has told us! Not even Johnson could pull that one.............. 

• Like 1

It's pretty sad what they are doing to this current generation. 
What skill do kids need nowadays in order to wait at the feet of the wealthy class.
"You'll own nothing and you'll be happy."
The WEF crowd will need to kill dinosaurs like us off.  I'm not waltzing into that dystopian paradigm willingly.  As far as killing us off? They seem to be on that.  "Take the asymptomatic farang and lock him into the packed, high-density field hospital.  He shouldn't come out except feet first with a toe tag."
But the kids?  Totally sucks mate.  Although there is no such thing as "home schooling" here, if it was my kid I'd be looking at the home-schooling program material in the US and working with my kid on my own.  But fully depending on the school system long term?  Children may not be taught STEM, but they will be taught SERVE in the upcoming neo-feudalism.  I'd be teaching my kid how to think on their own as opposed to simply accepting what they are told.  Someone needs to carry on and be a total PITA for the status quo. <laughs>

Know your place serf! <whack whack whack!>
external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.f2b5b6907bea51a2dc9a02d697600df9.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I think thats optimistic.  

In other words there's a big gap in the kids knowledge development, and as it gets down to lower level classes this has even bigger longer-term negative impact because the big gaps are foundations. 

6 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Should be no problem for TV members. THey probably get smarter and more streetwise when the TV members teach themselves (homeschooling) . Well according to all the comments on TV anyway.

I'm struggling to see that a large number of TV farang would be highly successful at home teaching regardless of their own education levels.

Home teaching is not easy, many folks aren't really suitable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Falcon said:

It’s not so bad, we’ll, certainly not as bad as people are saying that the children aren’t going to school. After all, what do the children actually learn at school? They only learn, just the same as we all did, to conform and learn enough to pass a test at the end of the year. They aren’t taught how to open a business, run a business, manage a family, etc. I know that I didn’t really start learning anything useful until I left school and got out in to the real world and experience it. As for Thai schools, even more so and having my son at hole is great for us as a family anyway.

In fact at all levels they are taught (by the Thai ed. system/methodology) what the answer is but not taught why it's the correct answer. 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

I didn't know any schools were open... 

We were back in session for 1 week in June - and have been online learning for the last 2 weeks.

Do you know if there was any covid? at school? in CM?

Yep, Mae Jo, but they've closed all Kindies and primary schools 'till the end of the month.

• Thanks 1

Most of everything can be taught online however it is that most parents are clueless themselves nor teaching their kids anything. There is dozens of sites like https://brilliant.org/ around nowadays too.

Anyway, I really do not see how they make all this work as well, how are normale families that take care of their kids supposed to work if schools keep closing down too. I almost start to think I have make plans leaving TH before it's too late, seems this country/continent is gonna be on fire and it never really helps to then be the white foreigner standing out in any crowd, I guess. They would hand us to the Chinese as easy as they did with the Japanese in WW2.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 2

On 7/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, J Town said:

I know a school supervisor. He told me they're just writing off the first half of this school year. All students will pass with a minimum unless they want to take some online tests.

A recent survey has just been released that assessed the children's frontal, temporal and parietal lobes of the brain.    Experts are at a loss as to why,  with almost no schooling for two years,   98% of all children exhibited a marked increase in size for those areas of the brain.    

I hardly ever went to school.    No wonder I'm so smart ...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1