Phuket marks first Sandbox tourist infected with COVID-19

webfact

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

One was a Thai person so that's ok but the other person is not what we want because he "was" a tourist but is now a dirty falang who we've detained.Way to go Scum box Scam!

Correct they might also want to double check all the documents from tourist coming from the MiddleEast it has been rumor for sometime even prior months back these docs are handed out with a brown envelop in exchange.

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

but what, if he got infected already on Phuket?

as to sinovac in the next post - this vax is not used in the west, so he had some other vax. 

I remember reading somewhere UAE used the Sinovac or other Chinese vaccine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

new varaints are apearing all the time ,the lamda strain has apeared in the uk from peru

there will always be others n future its never ending

It is in 31 countries already. But it has not taken over as the dominant strain yet. The scientists community is still investigating why it is the case. According to the news I read, this strain is more transmissible and could evade the vaccine. 

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Well ! Thats his Holiday messed up.

And the Holidays of all the other people in his Tour Group.

They will all have to do Quarantine now.

And what about the other passengers on his Flight, the Flight Crew, Airport Staff Etc Etc Etc , will they all be in Quarantine as well

Presumably he wouldn't have been the only one tested so I guess the others were negative and there will be ongoing testing.

If he received either of the Chinese or Russian vaccines, I doubt it will ever be published. People already have doubts about their effectiveness and that's basically all that's available to the people. 

• Confused 1

Let's remember that PCR tests, on average, are reported to have a 1/200 chance of giving a false positive. This was going to happen. So, one possible explanation is that he was unlucky and that test on arrival was a false positive. No mention of his having symptoms. No mention of a follow-up test to confirm or refute the one that was positive. Just send him off to a 14-day hospital stay, ruin the trip of all the travelers he had contact with, and send out more news stories that paint farangs as dirty and dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Let's remember that PCR tests, on average, are reported to have a 1/200 chance of giving a false positive.

That's the number covid deniers spread.

Virologists tell a much,  much lower number.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Waste of time taking to covid deniers.

You are wrong. I'm not a Covid denier. I took my precautions. I got vaccinated. I think Covid cases are actually under-reported. We have Covid. It's part of our life. We have vaccinations, tests, and treatments. The way forward is with science. No test ever has a 100% accuracy. Doesn't happen in the real world. 

It is more likely that the person actually is infected. However, it is also possible he got a false positive for the reasons I stated before. Testing lots of travelers will result, sometimes, in false positives. This must be considered.

Hope he has insurance that covers hospitalization without symptoms or treatment if he needs that.

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Personally I'd book for Mexico.

Yeah, because hanging out in Mexico with a bunch of unvaccinated, untested people from all over the world is much safer than a 1/1000 chance of testing positive on a flight to Thailand full of vaccinated, tested people.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Me?  If I leave the country to vacation - Mexico!

Enjoy.  Just remember, 30% of the people around you will test Covid positive...

Kind of puts that 1 tourist out of the 2000+ Sandbox arrivals into perspective...

Mexico.jpg

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Let's remember that PCR tests, on average, are reported to have a 1/200 chance of giving a false positive. This was going to happen. So, one possible explanation is that he was unlucky and that test on arrival was a false positive. No mention of his having symptoms. No mention of a follow-up test to confirm or refute the one that was positive. Just send him off to a 14-day hospital stay, ruin the trip of all the travelers he had contact with, and send out more news stories that paint farangs as dirty and dangerous.

Just read they had 2000 arrivals already. If we use a conservative 0,5% false positive on pcr tests, i think its looking better than expected.

Edited by MajorTom
tpo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

You are wrong. I'm not a Covid denier. I took my precautions. I got vaccinated. I think Covid cases are actually under-reported. We have Covid. It's part of our life. We have vaccinations, tests, and treatments. The way forward is with science. No test ever has a 100% accuracy. Doesn't happen in the real world. 

It is more likely that the person actually is infected. However, it is also possible he got a false positive for the reasons I stated before. Testing lots of travelers will result, sometimes, in false positives. This must be considered.

Hope he has insurance that covers hospitalization without symptoms or treatment if he needs that.

Sorry if i got you wrong. 

It just happens that the number you quoted (1/200) is the number spread by covid deniers. They use some half-understood statistics,  have no idea about real-life medicine and testing,  and fantasize about this number. 

People who deal with real covid testing tell you it's lower than 1/2000. The mirage of a "false positive" PCR basically doesn't happen. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to CNBC, "The UAE’s vaccination campaign, one of the fastest in the world, has relied heavily on the Sinopharm shot." However, there have been concerns over its efficacy and talk of people requiring a third, booster dose.

The UAE and Bahrain offer third Sinopharm shots amid questions over vaccine effectiveness

That is a slightly dated report and you can find more recent ones stating that a 3rd jab may be recommended to a small number of people 6 months after the 2nd.

As sad and wrong as it is, Sinopharm was / has been generally given to the Asian labour force in UAE and primarily Pfizer administered to others. When I was there I just booked my vaccination date and turned up and was given Pfizer. A smaller number have more recently been able to opt for AZ or Sputnik

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChC1 said:

I remember reading somewhere UAE used the Sinovac or other Chinese vaccine. 

No Sinovac in UAE. It uses primarily Sinopharm and Pfizer and to a lesser extent  and more recently AZ and Putnik