They keep us safe but Thai firefighters earn as little as 10,400 baht a month

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Several devastating fires in Thailand this week at factories have highlighted the plight of firefighters in the country who risk their lives to protect us and our property. 

One paid the ultimate sacrifice after dying in a plastics factory fire and others have been injured at a perfume factory fire. 

Yet their monthly salary is of course low especially by western standards but also by Thai standards  considering the risks they face, notes ASEAN Now.

Sanook delved into records regarding salary of firefighters published by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation in October 2018. 

There it was stated that depending on experience and education levels a firefighter could earn as little as 10,430 baht (US $322). Even at the better rate it was still only 13,800 baht (US $427).

There were some other benefits.

Those in more clerical jobs in the department could earn about 5,000 baht more. 

By way of comparison, online information suggests that the minimum daily wage in Thailand in 2021 is no more than 336 baht meaning a monthly salary of around 10,000 baht for those on that rate. 

Tha National Statistical Office said last year that the average wage in Bangkok is 20,854 baht.  

Last year House Speaker Chuan Leekpai, rejecting calls to cut MPs salaries, was quoted as saying that after tax and contributions to parties' coffers Thai MPs earn less than 100,000 baht. 

Yet that's still nine times a firefighters lowest wage - and they risk their lives. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-07

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I don't think most Thai worry about the MP's salaries, they worry about the top ups from other areas !

No, they worry about their own salary. 10-15k a month in BKK is rough nowadays, even for Thais. The avg. salary in BKK is twice that. Makes you wonder if it's even worth risking your life when you could take better care of your family financially doing something else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The training and competence is woeful to boot, pretty much the same as anything regarding Health and Safety in Thailand. 

Yes, i was thinking along the same lines. Especially after the death and the injurues of these guys.

But they certainly look keen.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes, the 10,430 baht and all the loot you can carry from the fire being "the other benefits"... 

Reminds me of when Central Chidlom had a major fire many years ago. The security guards refused to let the firemen into the building because they suspected they would steal stock.

Maybe in Bangkok, but personally 15 years in the Darkside Pattaya  I've never seen one really fight a fire that doesn't mean they shouldn't make more. Here I see them watering flowers on the medium, watering down the sand from the road after a rain storm when they could easily get a shovel, or standing by when the village burn their garbage, my wife sister has a fireman for a BF years ago he previously was in jail as a youth through connection he got a job he noted he started low but after a few years he was already close to 18,000 baht. 

I thought the sister got lucky here was a Thai who got a government job but I noticed when he stay over things went missing, like soap, dishwashing liquor, shampoo when he came he did his laundry and use the dryer when he just could put it out in the sun one day I busted him for taking home bottles of shampoo. He even told me all he does is clean equipment after a few months sister cut him loose caught him with another women.

It really doesn't mean much the low starting salary the key is it is a Government position here that is a black hole even in a pandemic you continue to get pay! 

Edited by thailand49

I've never seen a fire appliance racing to a fire and certainly not here in Isaan. I've seen some of the vehicles and most of them looked years or even decades older than one I showed my wife in a museum when she visited the UK.

Just looks as if those in government don't want to spend the money on equipment or firefighters. 

I've only had dealings with them when they make their annual visit to the school to practice evacuation drills and demonstrate how to put out a fire in a cooking gas bottle. They always seemed pretty keen, especially when teaching the senior Matayom girls how to abseil down a rope from the third story. They even let me have a go a few years ago - and (ex army) and a bit of a flash <deleted> I ran down the side of the building forwards! Lots of oohs and ahs from the children, instant respect!

I suspect the problems people describe are a result of poor training and leadership - how does the saying go - there are no bad soldiers, only bad officers!

It does seem that, as with the ambulance provision, there is only a cadre of full time personnel, and most are volunteers. And just like the "rescue foundation people" especially in the rural areas, if you didn't have them you would have nothing. I applaud the volunteer efforts and the service they provide, and only wish it was better trained, equipped and managed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very tasteful. NOT.

Couple of days after a volunteer firefighter 19yr old died at Ming Dih.

Get a grip.

You could ask the question  ,what was a 19-year-old doing on the front line fighting a fire ,in our country a 19-year  firefighter would still be on training/probation ,as  a volunteer not an occupation, he should have been nowhere near the fire ,especially this one .

As has been said training is ...well inadequate to put it mildly .

So, what did the establishment do ,the king paid for in funeral ,and gave the family some money  and a few wie's all round, and it is all right .

RIP young lad ,your family will not forget you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Those in more clerical jobs in the department could earn about 5,000 baht more. 

It seems to be a weird disease in Thailand that those who actually do the real work get paid a lot less than pen pushers in and office. It's logical to me that the firefighters at the sharp end should be paid more than office workers.

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes, the 10,430 baht and all the loot you can carry from the fire being "the other benefits"... 

I guess it is lucky that the fire service does not use the RTP system of "Commissions" - otherwise there would be a lot more fires........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've never seen a fire appliance racing to a fire and certainly not here in Isaan. I've seen some of the vehicles and most of them looked years or even decades older than one I showed my wife in a museum when she visited the UK.

Just looks as if those in government don't want to spend the money on equipment or firefighters. 

just as well that most Thai drivers cannot be be bothered to pull over and let the emergency vehicles through quickly.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I don't think most Thai worry about the MP's salaries, they worry about the top ups from other areas !

Yes, I would bet that this pandemic is especially good for the unelected "there will be no coup" PM and his cohorts's offshore accounts.

The volunteers are untrained and unequipped.  The regular fire brigades are far worse because they are part of the police. No one wants to join the fire brigade.  They are police who failed the exams to get into the regular police and are offered to the fire service which needs bodies.  They also lack proper training and equipment because the police despise them.  They are also, like the rest of the police, corrupt.  The son of a business family once told me he got an emergency call to go to one of their factories on Bangna that was on fire. As he arrived the police fire chief greeted told him that they had the fire surrounded and were readly to turn on the hoses to put it out. So he asks what are you waiting for.  These things are not free of charge you know.  How much you pay us to put it out.  So out of his depth he gets his uncle, who is experienced at dealing with cops, on the phone.  A price is negotiated and the hoses are swithced on.  

This also used to happen in Hong Kong when the fire service was run by expats who had gone native. There was a famous case when Swire had to pay to have a fire put out in one of its godowns.  Corruption will flourish wherever it is allowed to flourish.