Three more Phuket “sandbox” tourists found infected with COVID-19

webfact

Phuket-sandbox_210705_0.jpg

Three more foreign tourists, who arrived on Thailand’s resort island of Phuket under its “sandbox” scheme, have been infected with COVID-19, according to local health authorities.

Phuket’s provincial health office reported yesterday (Sunday) that the newly infected tourists came from Myanmar, South Africa and Switzerland.

The infected Myanmar tourist is the mother of two previously infected children, aged 8 and 9, who tested positive on Sunday, while two other tourists tested positive during a second swab test after staying on Phuket. All of them have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-more-phuket-sandbox-tourists-found-infected-with-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

now the only people being routinely tested are the few tourists that have arrived and they seem to be possibly exposing widespread infection across Phuket

and they seem to be possibly exposed to widespread infection across Phuket.... there I've corrected it for you ????????????

• Like 1

The silence from the Hotel Association who have pushed this very hard is deafening. The island, Thailand and the rest of the world is simply not ready yet to deal with quarantine free tourism. Doesn't happen in Hong Kong or Singapore and they are massive tourist destinations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont get it, If I should  come to Thailand, i need a ftf signed by doc and 3 days prior to flight a PCR certificate of testing covid.

Every time now I read people coming in WITH covid. Guess they come in with airplane, so what about the other passengers? Or did they come in their own plane?

However that said, we were opening and within 2 weeks cases raised from 500 to 7000/day.

They forgot the D- virus and was imported. They didnt want to restrict incoming from India and so on.

We , think so, dont even have the restriction of a PCR test prior to come  flying in.

The government was wrong again and we are almost back in time.

Well today im getting the first vaccination jab, PFizer or Moderna. Decided to do it anyway.

I'll hope , i will stay alive as i do have to stay half hour after jab, to check if i dont drop dead. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The infected Myanmar tourist is the mother of two previously infected children, aged 8 and 9, who tested positive on Sunday, while two other tourists tested positive during a second swab test after staying on Phuket. All of them have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

Ohhh dear.... going south is the apt term.

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

6 out of over 3000 Sandboxers since July 1..."utter shambles" seems a bit extreme.

6 out of 3000 means that about 1 passenger out of every 2 full airplanes will be confined at arriving in expensive ASQ hotel at his cost. I wouldn game that lottery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Sad thing is that I bet this scenario is not limited to your moo ban/village

Exact same thing happened recently in our town and surrounding villages. Family members visited from BKK , later tested positive, natives in a panic , schools closed. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pissedoff2am said:

I wonder why they are in a panic? All asymptomatic like most people who get infected? This is not Ebola, why do we still pretend this is the black death?

Simple people syndrome, market gossip and concern for the old folk . Of course, mostly asymptomatic, as was ever the case, but unlike before, a number of serious cases now in hospital. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Espanol said:

6 out of 3000 means that about 1 passenger out of every 2 full airplanes will be confined at arriving in expensive ASQ hotel at his cost. I wouldn game that lottery.

Still beats the stuffing out of the 100% odds of going into ASQ if you fly into BKK.  Or anywhere else in Thailand.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Slightly off the topic of Phuket but still about Covid.

I live in a little moo ban in rural Kamphaeng Phet and wenever had any cases of Covid.

A couple of days ago a family came up from BKK to stay with their relatives in the moo ban, husband, wife and 2 children and brought Covid with them. All 4 have tested positive and whisked off to a hospital. 

The local primary school which was open is now closed and the local family who ran the local gas station now have no customers.

I have often wondered at times who stupid people can be. I found out this weekend.

It's tempting to call them idiots.  But it could just as easily been truck drivers, market vendors, migrant workers, Kerry delivery guys, or any one of 100 cogs in the wheel that make modern society possible.  It's not like the Black Plague where they could sequester whole villages because each one was self sufficient.

Still, yours is a perfect example of Covid thriving with or without tourists.  But the economy can only thrive with them and their tourist cash.

The only way out of Covid is herd immunity, which means either enough people getting infected, or enough getting vaccinated.  With Thailand's shambolic vaccine rollout, I'm betting it's going to be enough getting infected.  And with the overall lack of testing, we'll never know.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1