Expat Registration for public vaccination has failed! What can we do?

WaveHunter

1 hour ago, ClaySmc said:

For those Americans threatening to go back for a jab, am I missing something or didn't you read about the USA donating 1.3 million doses of Pfizer vaccine to Thailand with the stipulation 300k be reserved for US citizens and other foreigners? So you might want to want until the end of July when the shipment  is scheduled to be delivered. Or not, up to you.

donated 1.5mln pfizer have already been delivered on saturday and are being distributed pronto to medics. I think they will have 2 shots, not 1 as planned earlier, because sinovac turned out not effective for delta.

a few days after some general stated, that 300k must go to foreigners, the other said, that only 10% ie 150k will be give.

Since than nothing on this front.

They might, but not have to give some. Americans first, followed by brits and the other usa allies (not likely from eu).

There are also 1.05mln AZ given by Japan. Some might also be given to foreigners, but most likely japanese expats and workers - large japanese investments and large group at middle tier employees 

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It seems like it's something, usually extremely rare, with each of the COVID vaccines thus far. And in various cases, the reported rare side effects have tended to occur more in certain age or gender groups:

--Sinovac -- questionable effectiveness

--AZ -- blood clots

--Pfizer/Moderna -- heart inflammation

and now J&J, since you asked:

FDA adds new warning on Johnson & Johnson vaccine related to rare autoimmune disorder

The agency cites link to a small number of Guillain-Barré cases after vaccination but says the shot’s benefits outweigh the risk

"The Food and Drug Administration announced a new warning for the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine on Monday, saying the shot has been linked to a serious but rare side effect called Guillain-Barré syndrome, in which the immune system attacks the nerves.

About 100 preliminary reports of Guillain-Barré have been detected in vaccine recipients after the administration of 12.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the United States, according to a companion statement from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which monitors vaccine safety systems with the FDA. Of these reports, 95 were serious and required hospitalization, the FDA statement said. There was one death. Neither agency provided details about the death."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/12/johnson-and-johnson-warning/

Especially if you're older and/or have any chronic medical conditions, I'd say the risks from COVID far outweigh any of the known risks from the various approved vaccines.

Yes there are always stories in the press that greatly amplify concerns about efficacy and safety of ALL the different vaccines.  Every single one of them has had critics and been subjected to unfounded fear mongering.

In the case J&J "possible" association with Guillain-Barré, when you consider that only 100 cases are "possibly" associated with J&J in a rollout of close to 13 million vaccinations, I think it's safe to say that the media is over amping the story and making a lot of people unnecessarily wary. 

What's more, they don't mention that Guillain-Barré syndrome is rarely life threatening and that in most people, symptoms usually resolve on their own in a matter of days or weeks.

SInce I decided to consider J&J if I go back to the US for vaccination, I have diligently explored a lot of science-based information from medical and scientific journals and I feel pretty comfortable that both in terms of efficacy and safety, J&J is just about the same as any other vaccine.

A lot of people are swayed by the efficacy numbers reported in the media (70% for J&J vs numbers in the high 90's for Pfizer and Moderna) but what they often gloss over is that J&J uses a completely different criteria for documenting efficacy on their vaccine that places more weight on possible short term side effects than Pfizer or Moderna or any of the other vaccines do.  So, it's really like comparing apples to oranges .

However, when you look at actual efficacy at preventing infection, all vaccines being distributed right now are pretty much equal in effectiveness. 

Of course, everyone is entitled to decide for themselves, but I have no problem with J&J, and for that matter, if my only choice was SinoVac, I'd feel the same way.  I really think all of this discrimination about various vaccines is really unfounded from a science-based point of view. 

IMO, whatever vaccine you can get into you first is by far the best vaccine for you!  

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

@WaveHunter

I registered through several websites and registration booths two months ago. No appointments given to me so far.....

It seems they give priority to Thai citizens and also retiree foreigners with pink cards first.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, internationalism said:

donated 1.5mln pfizer have already been delivered on saturday and are being distributed pronto to medics. I think they will have 2 shots, not 1 as planned earlier, because sinovac turned out not effective for delta.

a few days after some general stated, that 300k must go to foreigners, the other said, that only 10% ie 150k will be give.

Since than nothing on this front.

They might, but not have to give some.

There are also 1.05mln AZ given by Japan. Some might also be given to foreigners, but most likely japanese expats and workers - large japanese investments and large group at middle tier employees 

The MoPH said in recent days that 10% of the U.S. Pfizer doses and 10% of the Japan AZ doses will be reserved for foreign nationals in Thailand, focusing on senior citizens and those with chronic medical conditions.

But absolutely no public information thus far about just exactly how and to whom those 10% set-aside doses will be administered. The U.S. Pfizer dose distribution is supposed to be coordinated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs... God help us all!!!

As a backup you need to be proactive and when they offer Moderna vaccines sign up and pay. They sell out of there allotments very fast.

With the Sinovac messup theres going to be even more cancelations.  Many won't even get there second jabs.

Don't bother getting Sinovac as you probably know by now.

11 minutes ago, bookstore said:

I had no problem went to the hospital in Bangkok got the first jab about 3 weeks ago and got a appointment for the 2nd one in September. I don't understand what the problem is that  everyone is having Payaphai2 hospital in bangkok

IMG20210713191951.jpg

you fail to say which hospital, and how you registered, it seems you have a pink id card, and i guess you were lucky to register on the intervac site, 

others have not been so lucky, i live outside Bangkok and have repeatably tried to register and get a jab, last week i booked and paid for maderna at a hospital in Bangkok, yesterday i was one of the lucky 100 to get an appointment for AZ via the intervac site, and today my stepson tells me he has booked and paid for moderna at a different Bangkok hospital,

i will go for the AZ as its a set date, and think about the other 2 i have booked, my wife had AZ at the local Thai hospital, as have 4 other family members all elderly, she asked for me and was told not for non Thais unless they have a work permit,

a friend tried the intervac link today and all appointment gone in minutes, he and I will try again tomorrow. lets hope, but to be Honest the way we are being treated  along with lots of Thais is abysmal. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Stop talking tripe 

I, an many others have been able to register and get vaccinated by official channels.

just because you failed to register, doesn’t mean the whole system is a failure 

My Thai wife and I have both been registered on a web site set up by the Governor of Chiang Mai.  We have been waiting to receive a date, time, and place for our first vaccine for almost seven weeks, but all we have received is an email that arrived within a few minutes after registering informing us that our registrations had been successful.  We have received nothing since and all queries have gone unanswered.  You are the one who needs to "Stop talking tripe...".

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@WaveHunter

I registered through several websites and registration booths two months ago. No appointments given to me so far.....

It seems they give priority to Thai citizens and also retiree foreigners with pink cards first.

Who knows for sure what the real criteria is for who gets shots first excerpt the Thai officials making those decisions who seem to be less than transparent.

However, it seems that much of the current supply is prioritized for Bangkok which certainly makes sense considering that most of the new cases in the entire Kingdom are literally exploding there. 

Until Bangkok goes from deep red to red, and / or until vaccine supply vastly increases, I think all of us outside the Bangkok province are going to be pretty much on hold regardless of whether we are high risk or not.

Edited by WaveHunter

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

As a backup you need to be proactive and when they offer Moderna vaccines sign up and pay. They sell out of there allotments very fast.

With the Sinovac messup theres going to be even more cancelations.  Many won't even get there second jabs.

Don't bother getting Sinovac as you probably know by now.

“Don’t bother getting Sinovac?”

What ridiculous, irresponsible advice. Have you any idea how many lives have been saved by Sinovac?

Those “hundreds of Thai healthcare workers infected” even though fully vaccinated with Sinovac? 97% asymptomatic or mild symptoms. And case fatality rate is 0.16%, a fifth of the rate amongst unvaccinated public. The vaccine works. Statistics matter when telling these stories.

499DEEAD-1E90-4EF0-BD01-16CFEA6F8D91.jpeg

• Like 2

The vaccination situation is so bad here that some countries decided to organize vaccinations for their own citizens living in Thailand (China, France, Switzerland, etc.)

On June 22, I booked my timeslot, then, went to Bangkok Hospital on June 30 and got my vaccination (free of charge and, even more important, hassle free) thanks to the French Embassy

Guys, I do feel for you and my advice could be to be more persuasive with your embassies 

Vaccination Poster R.jpg

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The MoPH said in recent days that 10% of the U.S. Pfizer doses and 10% of the Japan AZ doses will be reserved for foreign nationals in Thailand, focusing on senior citizens and those with chronic medical conditions.

But absolutely no public information thus far about just exactly how and to whom those 10% set-aside doses will be administered. The U.S. Pfizer dose distribution is supposed to be coordinated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs... God help us all!!!

Is that "senior citizens and those with chronic medical conditions" in Bangkok only?

What about upcountry?

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Who knows for sure what the real criteria is for who gets shots first excerpt the Thai officials making those decisions who seem to be less than transparent.

However, it seems that much of the current supply is prioritized for Bangkok which certainly makes sense considering that most of the new cases in the entire Kingdom are literally exploding there. 

Until Bangkok goes from deep red to red, and / or until vaccine supply vastly increases, I think all of us outside the Bangkok province are going to be pretty much on hold regardless of whether we are high risk or not.

I don't mind if the vaccines go to Bangkok or anywhere in the deep red zones but the problem is that some of the vaccines went to foreigners with pink ID cards in Chiang Mai where I am staying.

Where's the logic in that?

The Thai government should really distribute the vaccines to those areas more in need.

Edited by EricTh

14 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

My Thai wife and I have both been registered on a web site set up by the Governor of Chiang Mai.  We have been waiting to receive a date, time, and place for our first vaccine for almost seven weeks, but all we have received is an email that arrived within a few minutes after registering informing us that our registrations had been successful.  We have received nothing since and all queries have gone unanswered.  You are the one who needs to "Stop talking tripe...".

The same goes for me, I registered in CM two months ago but until now no appointment yet.

There are many other foreigners with pink ID card in CM who have been vaccinated... go figure.

11 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

On June 22, I booked my timeslot, then, went to Bangkok Hospital on June 30 and got my vaccination (free of charge and, even more important, hassle free) thanks to the French Embassy

The French government stood up for its citizens living here, recognized the inability of many to receive vaccines thru the Thai government's haphazard, shortage plagued program, and stepped in to fill the void.

For that, they deserve credit and recognition from all. For the other governments like the U.S. and the U.K. that absolutely have the vaccines and the capability to assist their own nationals, they deserve scorn and derision for making conscious decisions to leave their own countrymen in (COVID) harm's way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

“Don’t bother getting Sinovac?”

What ridiculous, irresponsible advice. Have you any idea how many lives have been saved by Sinovac?

Those “hundreds of Thai healthcare workers infected” even though fully vaccinated with Sinovac? 97% asymptomatic or mild symptoms. And case fatality rate is 0.16%, a fifth of the rate amongst unvaccinated public. The vaccine works. Statistics matter when telling these stories.

499DEEAD-1E90-4EF0-BD01-16CFEA6F8D91.jpeg

Totally wrong.

Useless <deleted>.

12 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Is that "senior citizens and those with chronic medical conditions" in Bangkok only?

What about upcountry?

Nothing up here in Sakon Nakhon besides the useless Sinovac.  

9 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

What about upcountry?

The MoPH document re the 10% set-aside didn't have any mention of geography... just focusing on the elderly foreigners and those with chronic conditions.

But separate from that document, the MoPH has said its current priority is on elderly and chronic condition folks in Bangkok, because of the high case counts there.

So, who knows what's going to happen with those 10% Pfizer doses... And of course, the Pfizer doses from the U.S. haven't actually arrived yet.

2 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Anything whatsoever?

"There's a lot of doctors and medical workers who have been vaccinated twice but endured medium and severe symptoms, or even died," Slamet Budiarto, deputy chief of the Indonesian Medical Association, told parliament on Monday.

"Officials are being motivated by concerns that delta and other variants appear to be breaking down defenses of vaccines not made from the super-effective messenger RNA technology, or mRNA. In places like Mongolia and the U.A.E., high levels of coverage with Chinese shots using the older, less effective inactivated vaccine platform hasn’t stopped a surge in cases. In the Seychelles, five people fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca’s shot have died."

Bloomberg

July 10, 2021 11:00 AM GMT+7

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

"There's a lot of doctors and medical workers who have been vaccinated twice but endured medium and severe symptoms, or even died," Slamet Budiarto, deputy chief of the Indonesian Medical Association, told parliament on Monday.

"Officials are being motivated by concerns that delta and other variants appear to be breaking down defenses of vaccines not made from the super-effective messenger RNA technology, or mRNA. In places like Mongolia and the U.A.E., high levels of coverage with Chinese shots using the older, less effective inactivated vaccine platform hasn’t stopped a surge in cases. In the Seychelles, five people fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca’s shot have died."

Bloomberg

July 10, 2021 11:00 AM GMT+7

6 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Anything whatsoever?

July 11, 20214:21 PM +07Last Updated 3 days ago

Asia Pacific

Hundreds of Thai medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations

July 11, 20214:21 PM +07Last Updated 3 days ago

Asia Pacific

Hundreds of Thai medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations

Already addressed

Those “hundreds of Thai healthcare workers infected” even though fully vaccinated with Sinovac? 97% asymptomatic or mild symptoms. And case fatality rate is 0.16%, a fifth of the rate amongst unvaccinated public. The vaccine works. Statistics matter when telling these stories.

do you understand the above?

72A53F1C-8138-4589-A045-E4F73AE7C35D.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Already addressed

Those “hundreds of Thai healthcare workers infected” even though fully vaccinated with Sinovac? 97% asymptomatic or mild symptoms. And case fatality rate is 0.16%, a fifth of the rate amongst unvaccinated public. The vaccine works. Statistics matter when telling these stories.

Tell that to them.

I don't care what you do.  If you want Sinovac go for it.  Nobody I know wants it.  Should be plenty for yourself, get 5.

Just know you won't have much protection.

5 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Already addressed

Can you get proof that's not older than two months?

Tell that to them.

I don't care what you do.  If you want Sinovac go for it.  Nobody I know wants it.  Should be plenty for yourself, get 5.

Just know you won't have much protection.

Tell that to who? The people who had a bit of a cough for a few days, or were completely asymptomatic?

6 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Already addressed

Its over a thousand now.

1 minute ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Tell that to who? The people who had a bit of a cough for a few days, or were completely asymptomatic?

Tell that to the doctor or the nurse who died yesterday.