Mounting COVID-19 deaths in Thailand drive crematories to verge of failure

snoop1130

1-2.png

Siam Nonthaburi Foundation volunteers in full protective suits carry a coffin containing a COVID-19 victim to a cremation rite for free funeral ceremony service at Rat Prakong Tham temple Nonthaburi Province, Thailand. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

“We don’t know if there will be more (bodies) arriving today. Our crematory isn’t working well because it is overheated (from the continued use). If we place the coffins inside, it will just burn without us pushing any buttons. This is the truth,” said the Executive Committee of Siam Nonthaburi Foundation, Pairuch Sudtoop.

The crematory at Rat Prakong Tham temple in NonthaBuri province is now overheated and the temple is trying to build the backup crematory as quickly as possible. Pairuch said the temple has organized over a hundred funerals, for free, around the clock, since May.

The temple and the foundation run on donated money. They have a project called “the last home,” organizing funerals for poor people for the last six years. The temple provides everything, including the coffin.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/mounting-covid-19-deaths-in-thailand-drive-crematories-to-verge-of-failure/

Logo-top-.png

57 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The temple and the foundation run on donated money. They have a project called “the last home,” organizing funerals for poor people for the last six years. The temple provides everything, including the coffin.

This seems like something that ought to be getting Government funding.

40 minutes ago, internationalism said:

there is some 45k temples, probably all have crematoriums.

If there are some 1500 dead daily it's easy to move bodies to nearby places.

For unclaimed bodies the government should grant emergency funding.

Building a new crematorium is over the top 

Yes lots of new bodies showing up.  Better build more!

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I agree - absolute unadulterated nonsense designed to scare people. The death rate (all causes) per year in Thailand is 7.66/1000, or about 1458 people dying per day on average. So far 2847 have been deemed to have died from covid since the start of the "pandemic" and 56 people more people died yesterday. I'm supposed to believe that this has overwhelmed Thailand's crematoriums? I can't type the expletives that this story deserves, but more bs is hard to find.

Just 1 crematorium, the only one doing the job for free under the circumstances and yes they have coffins stacked in waiting.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, poohy said:

Our village wat has a burning About once every 3 months hardly over used

Ours is much the same and I'm sure, that like ours it is operated by the community, for the community. The Wat in the article is clearly a different set up that is geared toward handling a regular intake of bodies on a much larger scale. Our village Wats would soon be overwhelmed if things got that serious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Only if you have drank the Thai gov koolaid that the true number of COVID deaths are under a hundred.

Hence the question of why the statistics don't seem to line up with what the article is reporting. Either the reporting is exaggeration, or the reported deaths are not quite up to snuff.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Ours is much the same and I'm sure, that like ours it is operated by the community, for the community. The Wat in the article is clearly a different set up that is geared toward handling a regular intake of bodies on a much larger scale. Our village Wats would soon be overwhelmed if things got that serious.

I agree, there are about 10 temples in my local area but only 2 have a crematorium. And only 1 accepts Covid deaths, and then only if they die in the local villlages. If they die at a local hospital or another province they are cremated local to where they die. The famly has to go there if they are allowed, as the bodies are not brought home.

Finallly though I have seen no increase in funerals here, my BiL is the MC for the monks at all funerals and other events, so we hear about them all. Sadly today's funeral is for a mid 20 year old male who fell in the toilet while drunk on Chang and died as a result.

However I do agree also that this post smacks a little of fundraising, and even if exaggerated, these guys are badly needed.

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

With the thousands of temples in Thailand, this story is nonsense. 

So covid deaths only happening in that area? Would be nice if a survey of temples were done to see if their cremation numbers are much higher than usual.

18 hours ago, timendres said:

Thailand's death rate is 7.9 (deaths per year per one thousand people).

With roughly 70M people, that is approximately 1,500 people per day.

( 7.9 x ( 70,000,000 / 1000 ) / 365 ) = 1,515 people per day.

50 to 100 additional people per day is bringing this system to the "verge of failure"?

I've said this before. Please do not keep spoiling exciting stories with sensible reasoning and facts.......If deaths do increase substantially there is the option of 'Viking funerals' floating the deceased down-river to the sea......

• Sad 1