GPO files defamation against two public figures over profit claim in Moderna deal

snoop1130

000_9C39AM.jpg

Photo by Kazuhiro NOGI / AFP

Thailand’s Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) has lodged a complaint with Phaya Thai police in Bangkok, accusing Dr. Boon Vanasin and Mr. Loy Chunpongtong of spreading false information about profit being sought in the Moderna vaccine procurement process, to discredit the organization.

Dr. Boon is the chairman of the Thonburi Healthcare Group, whereas Mr. Loy is a well-known mathematician, astronomer. The GPO acts on behalf of private hospitals in ordering the Moderna vaccine as only government agencies, with the exception of the Chulabhorn Royal Academy, can procure them.

In its complaint, the GPO accuses the two men of defaming the organization by providing false information to the public, causing the public to incorrectly believe that the organization is making huge profits from the procurement.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gpo-files-defamation-against-two-public-figures-over-profit-claim-in-moderna-deal/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Denim said:

So .....is it just standard profits then ?

In my book the GPO are a good organization, well run, polite staff and excellent affordable medication that they produce themselves. Every right to sue for defamation to people who are probably rivals out for an illegal dig.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't like what we do and how badly we do it, we'll sue if you complain. 

Well open transparent government, open transparent court system, within their democratic rights ????????

Tongue firmly planted in cheek ????

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

In my book the GPO are a good organization, well run, polite staff and excellent affordable medication that they produce themselves. Every right to sue for defamation to people who are probably rivals out for an illegal dig.

Isn't that last statement as worthy of a defamation lawsuit as the GPO one? The GPO famously and publicly blamed the Attorney General's Office for delaying the signing of the Moderna contract, until it was pointed out by the AGO that they had never even received a copy of the contract from the GPO, at which point one was hastily despatched, with no apology. Wasn't that defamatory?

Can you imagine a government department suing a private citizen for something they said, in your country?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bottom line is barely 5 % of the Thai population has been vaccinated.  Point fingers, shout blame, etc.  Sinovac I think is a poor solution.  Things cost money.   Ignorant people will not get vaccinated for reasons they believe, mostly irrational reasons.  What will happen by the year's end?  I probably work more months as my Government job and increase the pension I immediately qualify for as I am buying in and rolling over my ten years of Air Force time.  When Thailand makes more sense, I am ready to spend 6 months each year there

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In its complaint, the GPO accuses the two men of defaming the organization by providing false information to the public, causing the public to incorrectly believe that the organization is making huge profits from the procurement.

Corrected the spelling!

In its complaint, the GPO accuses the two men of defaming the organization by providing information to the public, causing the public to correctly believe that the organization is making huge profits from the procurement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, internationalism said:

I have visited their 2 pharmacies (onnut and talin chan) on numerous occasions

GPO doesn't have a pharmacy at Onnut.

I know their pharmacy at Huachiew Hospital, it is pretty useless and fits your description very well.

I also know the one at Chaengwattana, it is very good. 

NB in private,  GPO staff have said in February/March  that Moderna will only arrive at the end of the year. 

Edited by Lorry

21 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Another run around concerning Covid-19 vaccines ...

Just tell us that you've ordered Pfizer / Moderna and stop all the other b*llsh*t.

This Junta Gov should be sued for their mismanagement of procuring vaccines that are affective.

Pfizer and Moderna have to be careful, executives and those that arrange the sales can face criminal charges in their home countries if they found to give bribes or backhanders or other favors to the corrupt Thais as part of the signoff, although AirBus and RR largely got away with it this was some years ago.  Whats probably happening now is that they  are lining up a chain of deniability where they funnel the money out thus the delay, think consultancy fees for a middle man company that's basically a shell company.  The greedy thais in power wont do anything without a brown envelope or modern equivalent (NACC sanctioned ideally). Luckily we have those defamation laws as this is dragging on a bit and we might need to silence some people.. 555

Edited by asiam110

22 hours ago, bradiston said:

Isn't that last statement as worthy of a defamation lawsuit as the GPO one? The GPO famously and publicly blamed the Attorney General's Office for delaying the signing of the Moderna contract, until it was pointed out by the AGO that they had never even received a copy of the contract from the GPO, at which point one was hastily despatched, with no apology. Wasn't that defamatory?

Can you imagine a government department suing a private citizen for something they said, in your country?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Trump, kind of state department, has taken the odd person to court. 

Everybody deserves protection under the law. Especially from people online who confuse free speech with libel.