Thailand considering limits on AstraZeneca vaccine exports

webfact

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You should stop accusing people of things you don't seem to know very much about yourself.

I posted the link with the info including the scientific name of exactly what they are using.  Go argue with them about it.  You seem to be confusing fetal cell culture with fetal cells.  It's a cultured product about 1000x removed from fetal cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEK_293_cells

You clearly didn't take the time to educate yourself about it before trying to falsely accuse me of something.

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Oh the irony, Thailand actually manufacture the AZ vaccine and send overseas while thousands of it own people are dying like flies, that is very hard to comprehend...

I submitted a registration form to PhayaThai 2 Hospital at 9.06am on Tuesday ,NO SMS REPLY, 9am Wednesday the cite was closed, 9am Thursday (today) cite closed. I read they only had 100 doses of AZ per day.

Get the ladies from Klong Toei markets into the AZ factory, they will sort out the problem, way quicker than the Chimpanzee's who are apparently there now!

40 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Very true; how many state pensions have the UK Gov saved by letting Covid ravage through care homes?  Here vaccinating foreigners is frowned upon & many obstacles are thrown up.  Sending vaccines abroad begs the question are there no aliens in Vietnam etc?

Myself and several expat friends received the AZ without any obstacles being placed in our way

I know many Thais who are still waiting.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

India did exactly the same thing and they have since signed up for technology transfer with other vaccine manufactures like Novavax and Sputnik.  So what you are saying didn't happen there and it won't happen in Thailand either..

Are you aware that the Indian version of the AZ vaccine isn't currently recognised by the EU? 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/07/02/indian-made-astrazeneca-vaccines-not-recognised-by-eu-passport-scheme/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DLock said:

There is no irony at all, and it's not hard to comprehend.

Thailand does not own any of those AZ vaccines. They are owned by Astra Zeneca as manufactured by their partner in Thailand, Siam Bioscience. The fact that they are manufactured in Thailand is irrelevant.

Thailand thinking they can divert vaccines from more needy countries that have placed orders with AZ  to cover its disastrous handling of the vaccine program, is delusional.

Having said that, would it surprise me if Thailand, given the owner of SB did that? No.

If memory serves, I believe Italy stuffed Australia over vaccine exports?

"Right now, the order has not been issued yet," Nakorn said, adding that various agencies will need to review it and consider its impacts.

Translation; "I'm going to do this, but I need someone to blame it on."

• Like 1

Leaving aside what I think of the Thai government's actions, there might be a chance that AstraZeneca can fill the gap from production sites elsewhere, due to a number of Western countries discontinuing the use of this vaccine.

• Like 1

On one hand the government stress it can't divulge vaccine procurement information due to contractual gag clauses;

On the other hand the government is implying that it will break AstraZenaca's contractual agreements to supply vaccines to other countries from its Thai Siam BS manufacturing hub as whats a contract but words on paper?

• Haha 1

It is quite hard to measure how much vaccines is available and how well the program is coming along.

Nobody is saying anything. But reading between the lines. There is a shortage of vaccines in Thailand. and it wont get better any time soon.

To inoculate the first dosage at 500k people per day.. you need 120 days.. and another 120 days for the 2nd dosage.. Adding the math together, To fully vaccinate the population , you need 8 month., assuming  that you have a good supply of vaccines.

From the information  provided.. it is very challenging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inala said:

Sounds fair enough to me. One has to look after their own backyard first. Get your own citizens fully vaccinated before worrying about other countries. 

It is what the EU did, even stopping deliveries to the UK that owned the process. On the other hand breeding viruses in Siem Riep and Bangkok is the same thing to someone in Sisaket.

We need to address the whole population. I would come up with joint vaccination programs to attack the high risk and high transmission problems in the whole region to buy more time. We need to work together, and Thailand can still be the heroes if they can help bring a global solution to SE Asia.

Then talk to the Americans about getting more of the vaccines that the red hats are throwing away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Need more vaccine type options - should have mRNA on hand already.

Start to construct more production plants in Thailand (using fully vaccinated Thai labour IMHO) or partner with South Korea to produce for ASEAN.

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

India did exactly the same thing and they have since signed up for technology transfer with other vaccine manufactures like Novavax and Sputnik.  So what you are saying didn't happen there and it won't happen in Thailand either..

So you can guarantee that it won’t happen in Thailand I’m amazed that a Farang can come out with such a statement do you by any chance hold a very senior role /directorship in AZ because that’s one very powerful statement you’ve given or is it you’ve been knocking back the Thai whiskey so much so that you just spewed out verbal diarrhoea 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

It may come as a surprise but the vaccine will do little to reduce the "thousands of it own people are dying like flies", primarily RTA.

RTAs followed by the Flu & RSV infections that cause bronchiolitis. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

AstraZeneca said in a statement its Thailand-manufactured vaccine "is of critical importance" to neighbouring countries where the pandemic is also accelerating.

AZ has contractual agreements with countries outside of Thailand.  If the Thai government restricts exports from the Thai AZ plant, both the Thai government and AZ are apt to find themselves in an international court for breach of contract.
However Thailand would claim sovereign immunity so the plaintiffs and courts would go after AZ.   Significantly hurt AZ and it can no longer provide adequate doses for Thailand.
Protectionism sucks.  Wars start for less.

Edited by connda

8 minutes ago, johnarth said:

how about someone in the know show how many people have died from corvid 19 and how many have been killed from the vaccines

3.5 million and maybe 100. The risk of death from vaccines is extraordinarily rare.

46 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Leaving aside what I think of the Thai government's actions, there might be a chance that AstraZeneca can fill the gap from production sites elsewhere, due to a number of Western countries discontinuing the use of this vaccine.

Agreed - the first lot shipped from Italy I think.

UK switching to Pfizer for 18-40 age group. So maybe AZ can be released by Boris if he wants to leverage overseas trade deals like the Chinese are said to be doing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Good luck getting the updated vaccine from any company when the new version that caters for the delta and other future variants as it evolves comes along

Good luck enticing future foreign investment and foreign manufacturing in Thailand when corporations understand that Thailand can destroy the company's exports and contractual agreements with the stroke of a pen. After that perhaps they just take the intellectual property as well and nationalize the industries they want to reserve for Thai domestic consumption.

Be careful who you trust if Thailand plays this hand.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

The Government has no Legal right to determine who has what, and where it goes in the Vaccination Distribution

AZ are the Licensed holder of the Vaccine Formula, and it is manufactured under their criteria, using their assembled components.

SB, are only the partner for the actual Manufacture, and nothing else.

AZ and SB agreed a contract where a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio was agreed upon.

1/3 to be for the Domestic Market and 2/3 for Export to other Countries that had placed Contracts with AZ.

AZ will have some kind of Insurance policy in place, both financially and with other methods to prevent their Vaccine being high jacked in this manner for sure.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Very true; how many state pensions have the UK Gov saved by letting Covid ravage through care homes?  Here vaccinating foreigners is frowned upon & many obstacles are thrown up.  Sending vaccines abroad begs the question are there no aliens in Vietnam etc?

I’m a foreigner living in Thailand I had my first AZ last Friday I was 130 in the line and there must of been at least 500 behind me many of my foreign friends were there as well I can only assume that every available vaccine was sent to the island to get the 70% quota of vaccinated people as the sandbox officially opened today with no overseas arrivals I’m told 4 will be arriving tomorrow on Bangkok air !

16 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

It is what the EU did, even stopping deliveries to the UK that owned the process..

But the consequence of such a potential disruption in supply was far less than here in Thailand. With a similar population size, the UK had been proactive in ordering vaccines and at the time had a total of 500 million doses either already delivered, and in use, or firm orders in the pipeline. Whereas Thailand has been sluggish, seemingly lackadaisical even.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m a foreigner living in Thailand I had my first AZ last Friday I was 130 in the line and there must of been at least 500 behind me many of my foreign friends were there as well I can only assume that every available vaccine was sent to the island to get the 70% quota of vaccinated people as the sandbox officially opened today with no overseas arrivals I’m told 4 will be arriving tomorrow on Bangkok air !

Lucky you. Up here in the mountains there are no vaccines for anyone, of any type.

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

You may be right in the end.  That said, Thailand is not on the same playing field as India in economic terms.  Thailand simply does not matter that much.  Punishing Thailand would be equivalent to a rounding error.

They need to start getting multiple private companies that have experience making vaccines.

Vaccine production is very methodical and tricky.  Even experienced product facilities will have hiccups.

Having just one company making ONE vaccine has proven costly and a detriment to the Thai health system.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I wonder if the owner would give it for free for his Thai citizens?? ????.

Or would he take the profit for himself? 

Over 550 million in tax money has been given towards the privately owned factory as a precursor to paid in vaccines.

It would have been cheaper to have bought the vaccines on the open market.

Apparently the company producing the Astra Zeneca is a Thai company!  With the cases in Thailand now skyrocketing, it's time for the government to order the production for the people of Thailand 1st!  Similar to what the US did when they couldn't get enough ventilators early on in the pandemic!  The government order several manufacturing  firms such as General Motors to change their production lines from cars to ventilators!  This later resulted in a surplus of ventilators, which America then donated to other countries in need of them!