Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

15 minutes ago, James105 said:

I presume the part that outlined what additional support employees and businesses forced to close can expect to receive from the government was accidentally cut off?  

Good comment. Government announcements just never seem to deal with the whole picture. And that particular aspect is one that is apparently rarely considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Apart from those deaths at home its also the worrying number of deaths in such a short space of time after being confirmed positive, daily this number seems to be increasing and says to me that people are just not getting testing quickly enough having to wait too long until they are already very sick

Based on data from India, the average time in which patient succumbs to infection of Delta strain is much shorter than that of previous ones. While it took about 2-3 weeks in the past, it is only 3-5 days from symptoms to death. Now admittedly this was based on large cities in India where they had other problems like lack of supplies, hospital beds, medical staff, etc., but it seems the trend elsewhere is going in the same direction with some similar reports from Spain as well. Hence it might not all be due to late testing.

7 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Anybody out there have the numbers in Chiang Mai of people with the virus TIT

List will be posted after 12,30pm

Yesterday's confirmed cases 76

Edited by anchadian

So far more restrictions resulted in more numbers, whatever makes them think introducing more restrictions will change the outcome?

they were predicting 10000 next month 1 week ago, I said it will hit 10000 in a week.

I hate to be a jinx but suspect by next month will be closer to 15000-17000

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Based on data from India, the average time in which patient succumbs to infection of Delta strain is much shorter than that of previous ones. While it took about 2-3 weeks in the past, it is only 3-5 days from symptoms to death. Now admittedly this was based on large cities in India where they had other problems like lack of supplies, hospital beds, medical staff, etc., but it seems the trend elsewhere is going in the same direction with some similar reports from Spain as well. Hence it might not all be due to late testing.

Its true the viral load replicates far quicker with the Delta variant and that could have some factor regards deaths, all the more reason that getting tested as soon as possible is paramount, evidence is clear that is not happening at the moment so directly leading to the quicker deaths.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Royal Gazette announced on Sunday tightening of Covid-19 measures from Tuesday.

More curbs imposed on dark red provinces from Tuesday

The measures are:

▪︎ People living in dark red provinces (maximum and strictly controlled areas) are not allowed to go outdoors unless necessary.

▪︎ Curfew hours are imposed from 9pm to 4am.

▪︎ Restaurants, shopping malls and convenience stores must be closed from 8pm to 4am.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003394

I did flag the possibility of this yesterday to some negative comments.

• Like 2

Chulabhorn Royal Academy announced that 60,000 people registered for the Sinopharm vaccine this morning for the 28 July - 31 August slot. This is now full. They will open for registration for the next round soon #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1416601325404450818

The Thai government gambled early on that the the new mRNA vaccines wouldn't pan out so they went all in with AZ. 

At the time mRNA's were still unproven (except in animals, where they've been used successfully for several years, from what I understand). 

They were wrong on that and now we're all paying the price.  

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess going outside to walk is now a punishable offense here in Bangkok and the other zones.  Wonder if you have a house and you go outside to swim if you will be violating this new decree. So we are essentially locked in and locked down unless we need to shop and or go to the doctors.  I guess a walk after dinner is just not necessary regardless of how many masks and gloves  one wears, yes sarcasm, but if this is what they are doing in the dark red zones, why limit it to those areas as the cases are still blooming everywhere else.

Families that live in condos and order food daily will be developing the drop basket and pully system to obtain their food from the riders and delivery folks.

I think that it will be really hard to enforce. If you want a walk you just say your going shopping. I normally don't really get out that much besides shopping. But i don't understand why you have to keep inside outside in the open air is not a danger. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

So far more restrictions resulted in more numbers, whatever makes them think introducing more restrictions will change the outcome?

they were predicting 10000 next month 1 week ago, I said it will hit 10000 in a week.

I hate to be a jinx but suspect by next month will be closer to 15000-17000

Well, I wake up everyday and the sun has come up. But I don’t think the sun rising is caused by my waking up. 

without expressing an opinion on what the government should or shouldn’t do, I think it is a proven fact that strict restrictions rigorously enforced for a sustained period of time, will cause cases to fall. The issue is that the Thai government did too little, too late and is now painted into a corner of reacting, rather than being proactive.

on its face, saying that restrictions resulted in more cases, is false.

But your case count prediction was accurate previously and I see no reason why your future prediction won’t be accurate either. If it’s wrong, i think it will be to the down side of the case count.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chulabhorn Royal Academy announced that 60,000 people registered for the Sinopharm vaccine this morning for the 28 July - 31 August slot. This is now full. They will open for registration for the next round soon #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1416601325404450818

Unfortunately, this is just a token effort. 

They should be asking for donations so they can utilize their proven capability to get vaccines quickly from overseas. Why stop at only one million doses? 

18 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, I might not put it that way, but if offered a vaccine and they refuse, they do bring the consequences on themselves. Unfortunately, it’s possible that others may also suffer if the anti vaxer spreads the virus as a consequence of their beliefs.

I do think that anti vaxxers should also be denied certain “privileges “ so to speak, such as international travel and other activities that might endanger others. Not as punishment, but to protect others. In the same way that yellow fever, malaria and typhoid vaccinations are required for some destinations. But those subjects are for debate at a future time, first vaccines need to be rolled out worldwide to those that want them.

Just to follow up on my post, here’s an extreme example of a country with an anti vaccine segment of the population. But I really don’t think this will be a big issue in Thailand, or Asia generally in fact. I think adequate access is and will be the over riding issue

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-covid-19-vaccine-media-anthony-fauci-polio-comment-15242344

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Takeaway from leaked AZ & Anutin letters: AZ, behind the flattery, is firing back at the Thai govt, stating it’s supplying nearly twice monthly quantities requested by Thailand in Sept 2020 & that TL committed to SBS supplying AZ to the region. Also that AZ advised joining COVAX

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1416600747563642880

You can not lie to cover up something that's been made public. It just makes you seem more desperate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Has the media been instructed not to headline any numbers above 10,000?

2 days in a row. No number in headline. So odd. 

Yes, because they know that if the number is not in the headline, there's no possible way anybody can ever find out the actual figures - oh, hang on a minute ...

Also this is not "the media" - this is an online discussion forum.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

I hope you're still around long enought to get a second shot - you are not vaccinated with one shot............it is two

I'm fairly confident I'll make it to August 4, when my second shot is scheduled, but your concern is appreciated. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter