Public holidays in Thailand this weekend brings alcohol ban

webfact

14 minutes ago, Crusader said:

It would be quite comical but for the fact all pubs and bars are closed anyway - drinking at home has never been an issue (if that's what one chooses to do).

And safest way at this time

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Went to 7-11 yesterday where all the booze was cordonned off with a notice saying NO ALCOHOL SALES from 7th to 31st July.

I knew there was a potential alcohol ban on the cards but that notice sounds unusual. Where do you live? 

Edited by alien365
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Most of the countries where we come from used to have alcohol sales bans as well

It is their country & if they wish to have 5 or 6 days a year of no alcohol sales as a religious belief 

so be it, stop grizzling, nobody said you cannot have a drink at home

Sounds like you need a drink. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fishtank said:

This country just beggars belief.

Weird.

Move elsewhere then? That's if you are  actually in Thailand now? We have asked at our local eateries and will be allowed to drink discretely on those days.FYI ,  We have never been unable to drink , even on the night that "Elvis left the building." However, if the "demon" drink wasn't available for a few days in the year I think we could manage!?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

These days NEVER bother me, I have a nice big stock of beer in the house at all times, because now and then these dry days sneak up on you unexpectedly. Even though there are PLENTY of people still willing to sell you a beer on the quiet and I always keep one of those cooler cups in the car for emergencies if you get caught out.

As for the past 6 months of bans in restaurants, I can go to at least half a dozen who will keep my cup filled up all the while I am there.

It seems to me that all expats cannot live without alcohol!! That is a shame. Maybe we will have some valid and sober messages and inputs into this forum over the next 2 days with sober people that always moan and groan.

I hope you wake up peacefully without the normal run to the toilet to poo liquid with the amount of alcohol your body cannot digest. Also I hope you do wake up peacefully. That is a sober way to wake up. It is great.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's be honest here, if you were in your home country and a religious holiday was coming up;

Would you be ok if foreigners in your country were more concerned about the ability to buy alcohol than the actual spirit of the holiday? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Let's be honest here, if you were in your home country and a religious holiday was coming up;

Would you be ok if foreigners in your country were more concerned about the ability to buy alcohol than the actual spirit of the holiday? 

Well, if we are being honest here, the two principal religious holidays in my country, Easter and Christmas are largely treated as an excuse for a few days "on the lash"!

• Like 1

Went to Big C yesterday arvo to do some shopping, it's a 20 minutes drive up the road , I keep forgetting the alcohol times as I usually buy my case of beer from a local there who is open all hours, anyway that said, noticed the 3 litre case of Castle Creek Bin 569 that I purchased at Big C a couple of weeks back was a little light, so said to myself will get another as I really enjoy a glass of this dry red with an evening meal.

When we got to Big C, I saw 2 left of the shelf and I said, might as well take them both, as you never know when the lockdown will come, that said, wife said you have to wait 35 minutes Tiruk, I said why, she said 4.25pm, cannot buy till 5pm, so I threw them back on the shelf like a child having a dummy spit, and went to the register, paid for our shopping and left.

I the car she said Tiruk you can buy tomorrow after 5pm because you are going to be in the area anyway, I said, you know what, your right.

This morning I awake to this public holiday BS, what's a bloke got to do to live a normal life in this country, seriously ! ! ! !

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.

I dont see how this differs from any other alcohol ban on any other Buddhist holiday that I have experience d over the last 25 years.

I arrived in thailand on December 5th, a long time ago, and nothing has changed since. 

Edited by n00dle