Thailand reports daily record of 15,335 coronavirus cases, 129 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

With the R0 value of the delta strain said be up to 5 it's hard to see total cases numbers not reaching 20,000 in the next couple of days.Even at Alpha R0 of 3+ or even 1 given that todays number is above 15,000.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes we will be over 90, but I am afraid that as the Governor stated "There is no going back".  I feel that he was right.

I doubt the box will be cancelled. Too much is invested in it. And who cares anyway. A few thousand tourists doesn’t make any overall difference. Question is, how does the governor stop today’s 28 cases becoming 40 tomorrow and 60 the day after that and so on.

the increase in cases is over a short period of time, but delta doesn’t give you much time to decide. I’d rather a total lockdown now for a month, than a quasi lockdown that drags on for a year. If he sits on his hands in the hope that things blow over, things might get worse, vaccinations or no vaccinations.

or, he may decide cases don’t matter because enough vaccinations have been done. That would be a bit brave though.

Edited by wensiensheng

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thai volunteers aid COVID patients in need of care, testing

As Thailand‘s medical system struggles beneath a surge of coronavirus cases, ordinary people are helping to plug the gaps, risking their own health to bring care and supplies to often terrified, exhausted patients who’ve fallen through the cracks.

In the Samai area of Bangkok, Ekapob Laungprasert’s team heads out for another weekend on the front lines of a crisis.

His volunteer group, Samai Will Survive, has been working around the clock, responding to about a hundred SOS calls daily from desperate COVID-19 patients unable to get the help they need.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-2b1babe842019f8900d9106f4df2d36d

It’s this kind of article that tells me I have a very privileged existence and no real idea what it is like to be in a Covid rife environment. A bit humbling to see what other folks are doing tbh.

• Like 2

Thailand’s only and main goal should be to buy vaccines and setup an effective vaccine program to get as many vaccinated as fast as possible. 

With the speed this virus is mutating and their slow vaccine roll out, it will already be too late and they will be in same situation, when/if the 2nd cycle happens (new variant not caring about older vaccines).

IF we will all need a new vaccine-booster every year, then Thailand is already far behind and will be so for years to come.

Let’s hope this does not keep mutating into something worse. Because it is a real possibility.

18 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I doubt the box will be cancelled. Too much is invested in it. And who cares anyway. A few thousand tourists doesn’t make any overall difference. Question is, how does the governor stop today’s 28 cases becoming 40 tomorrow and 60 the day after that and so on.

the increase in cases is over a short period of time, but delta doesn’t give you much time to decide. I’d rather a total lockdown now for a month, than a quasi lockdown that drags on for a year. If he sits on his hands in the hope that things blow over, things might get worse, vaccinations or no vaccinations.

or, he may decide cases don’t matter because enough vaccinations have been done. That would be a bit brave though.

30 new cases in Phuket today which is a new high. It may be low compared to Bangkok but you can’t get on the island unless you are vaccinated and have a covid free test. With 80 cases in just four days, they will easily reach the 90 limit when red flags will be raised. What then?

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1419301436672905217

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

30 new cases in Phuket today which is a new high. It may be low compared to Bangkok but you can’t get on the island unless you are vaccinated and have a covid free test. With 80 cases in just four days, they will easily reach the 90 limit when red flags will be raised. What then?

What happens when the red flag trigger is raised as questioned by Richard Barrow? My guess is not a lot in terms of the sandbox as the whole original model is full of carefully worded ambiguities. The plan states that the model "can be" reconsidered or revised at the 90 trigger point which in my eyes means very little.

On the other hand, i guess that what happens in terms of Phuket is a different question and needs addressing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Richard Barrow has changed his tune a bit these days. Such an enthusiastic supporter of the sandbox, invited to government meetings when details were being finalized, seemingly so convinced it was such a good idea.

the issue isn’t Covid cases, Phuket would have had those anyway, probably more as the vaccination level wouldn’t have been so high. The issue is that it was a bad idea because it would attract so few tourists and therefore never be worth the cost in terms of manpower and resources.

now suddenly Mr Barrow is all concerned about rising cases. His wording even suggests that he thinks vaccinated people can’t catch Covid. His credibility has taken a hit this last little while as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That's a really big factory. What do they make I wonder? Speculation and rumors or just lies and disinformation?

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Chicken processing factory

Rubber chickens.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Pattaya area keeps rising.  I have regular girls I date who keep contacting me.  No way Jose, not worth the risk at this point will stick to the internet for my fun.

Nice to be wanted all the same. 

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

Another instance of being pro-active, who would ever have thought a factory with 3000 + workers could possibly have any covid cases. 

Who would have thought a factory well over 300 km from the infection factories and building sites of deep red Bangkok could suddenly have any covid cases? I wonder if the chook factory owners will be asked what sort of controls they have on movement of their majority foreign labor force?

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Bars and restaurants openned add a 0 to the end of the number.

Any measure that restricts large numbers of people gathering together , clearly helps to prevent the spread of a virus.

If I were a bar owner , or indeed somebody who frequents bars often , I would be <deleted> off at the closures, daft to suggest they were pointless though.

A better point would be made by asking why  malls and telephone shops were not closed also , a cynic might suggest the 'old pals club ' may have played its part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

With the R0 value of the delta strain said be up to 5 it's hard to see total cases numbers not reaching 20,000 in the next couple of days.Even at Alpha R0 of 3+ or even 1 given that todays number is above 15,000.

The R value is a tremendous tool in gaging the spread of the virus.

You are entirely correct.  

13 hours ago, Chivas said:

Numbers out of control now. Complete 3 month hard lockdown needed. Country has more than enough Foreign Currency reserves at $246 Billion to compensate workers whether they want to or not is the question

These numbers will escalate to 50,000 a day in very short order otherwise

Precisely this.

13 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

In a country without a comprehensive welfare system or furlough scheme pro-lockdown people fail to understand not being able to work increase poverty and hunger.

The governments lack of will in providing adequate financial aid is criminal.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thai volunteers step up as Covid-19 Delta cases send hospitals to ‘point of collapse’

Thanapon Songput, a worker at the non-profit Mirror Foundation, has been arranging to provide oxygen tanks for Covid-19 patients around Thailand’s capital in the past month.

The group allocates up to 90 tanks for about 15 patients a day, but the overwhelming demand has rendered its efforts almost futile. Thanapon said one patient died as she called to plead for help from the foundation.

“We could never work fast enough. We asked her to wait, but it was too late,” he said.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3142317/coronavirus-thai-volunteers-step-delta-cases-send

I can see a cry for oxygen going out for help soon, or will the lose face syndrome prevent that. 

24 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the numbers are "out of control" it means they're out of any means to control them, so why lockdown when the numbers can no longer be controlled?

I don’t think that is quite right. The numbers are out of control because the current measures appear to be doing little to effect case growth. There are further means that could be implemented that may or may not bring the case growth back under control. Until such time as they are implemented however, the numbers are out of control.

I see no contradiction in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Interesting when exactly they will have 90% of its population vaccinated !

It’s possible to give an estimation on that. Since 7th June they have vaccinated an average of about 250k people per day. If they continue at that rate……we’ll you can do the math. Something needs to change with the vaccine program ASAP.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Who would have thought a factory well over 300 km from the infection factories and building sites of deep red Bangkok could suddenly have any covid cases? I wonder if the chook factory owners will be asked what sort of controls they have on movement of their majority foreign labor force?

All it takes is one infected Visitor who may have been, delivering supplies from somewhere else, or in management, or a travelling supervisor from another plant the company owned, or workers who were brought in, or the family of a worker .....you never know how it got somewhere with the transmissibility of the current variant being high, but as usual someone like you wants to blame the foreign workers alone for the issue.  It is not just from Bangkok infections locations this could have arisen from.  On top of that how long have they been trying to keep a lid on this cluster since it seems to be very large and they were already well into the construction of the warehouse where they were going to place the infected workers.  Lets see what the surrounding area and the residents tested also show.

37 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the numbers are "out of control" it means they're out of any means to control them, so why lockdown when the numbers can no longer be controlled?

Maybe to try and contain it and try and get ahead of it.  A true remedy would be to mass vaccinate people, but to do that you need vaccines, and this country is slow on the uptake of them.  They started vaccinating back in February, and here we are 5 months later and just over 5% of the population have a vaccination.  Troubling is what it is.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Pattaya area keeps rising.  I have regular girls I date who keep contacting me.  No way Jose, not worth the risk at this point will stick to the internet for my fun.

And where do you think the girls who are providing the fun are getting their customers  from,Line,timeline,TF,IG,Instagram,the girls are all over the internet.