Retirement extension (x18 yrs) on 800K banked -- but now I need Combo method or 65k/month income method. How to do it?

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What about the 400k baht after 3 months. They can ask for proof of that when you apply for your next extension.

My own expectation is that, if you can show transfers of over 65,000 baht every month from abroad into your Thai bank account, they will accept that instead. At least, I believe they logically should. Of course, as ever, there can be individual offices/officials who decide to be obstructive, but surely switching to the income method mid year must be possible in some manner.

32 minutes ago, nzrick said:

girl also said combo method not possible.  that seems incorrect then?

Some immigration offices are not a fan of combo method for retirement..

IMO use an agent. You only need extension so ~16k per year. 

6 hours ago, nzrick said:

wife called Hat Yai immigration last week to ask and the girl there said to change from 800k in bank method to income method i must first show proof of 12 monthly deposits of 65k before extension renewal date. that really is correct then?

at renewal,...hand over yearly bank statement,takes 7 days...up to date bank statement immediate...as stated combo method now not possible  easy

9 hours ago, nzrick said:

wife called Hat Yai immigration last week to ask and the girl there said to change from 800k in bank method to income method i must first show proof of 12 monthly deposits of 65k before extension renewal date. that really is correct then?

The requirement if using the income option is that you have to prove that you transferred 65k per month 12 months to apply for a extension. If using the combination option it can be less than 65k baht. If the first extension of stay it can be less than 12 months.

She was wrong. The combination of income and money in the bank is still allowed and is shown in the immigration order for the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Bank accounts of a deceased person are frozen until probate is completed. It would be a criminal offence for his G/F to access it or attempt to.

How will they freeze it if they don't know a person is dead. are the banks linked up to the death database, if there is one? My mrs is a joint signatory at Krungsri, she can get money out and would continue to if I go before her. Technically illegal but it's our money. 

Just now, clivebaxter said:

How will they freeze it if they don't know a person is dead. are the banks linked up to the death database, if there is one? My mrs is a joint signatory at Krungsri, she can get money out and would continue to if I go before her. Technically illegal but it's our money. 

But in the case of OP they are not married so not her money.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The requirement if using the income option is that you have to prove that you transferred 65k per month 12 months to apply for a extension.

Does this mean that, if you wish to apply for an extension of stay based on income, but previously used the money in bank option, you effectively need to satisfy both the money in bank (to meet the requirements of the previous year's extension) and the bank transfers for the whole of the last year (to qualify for the new extension). Of course, if you can get the embassy income letter, then you only need to satisfy the money in bank for the prior year. This does not seem reasonable, but I understand reasonableness is not always a factor in immigration rules.

14 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Krungsri and they don't charge for adding her signature

That's interesting. I have 3 bank accounts with 3 different banks. 

The one I use for immigration (money in bank method) straight up refused to do that. Also the other 2 said the same.

Accounts in my name only.

Will look into Krungsri.

Edit: just read your earlier post. Fact is your married. I'm in same boat as OP. Have partner but not married.

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Does this mean that, if you wish to apply for an extension of stay based on income, but previously used the money in bank option, you effectively need to satisfy both the money in bank (to meet the requirements of the previous year's extension) and the bank transfers for the whole of the last year (to qualify for the new extension). Of course, if you can get the embassy income letter, then you only need to satisfy the money in bank for the prior year. This does not seem reasonable, but I understand reasonableness is not always a factor in immigration rules.

I changed to money in the bank in June, I still had to evidence the monthly income up to the application date (or it may have been the 2 months seasoning date) to show that I had complied with the previous year's extension criteria.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have seen reports of immigration wanting to see that a person complied with the money in the bank requirements for the extension. That would be the 400k baht in the bank requirement 3 months after the day of application and the 800k baht before then.. The 800k baht for 2 months before application would not be needed.

If going from the income option to money in the bank option the proof of income would not be needed.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen reports of immigration wanting to see that a person complied with the money in the bank requirements for the extension. That would be the 400k baht in the bank requirement 3 months after the day of application and the 800k baht before then.. The 800k baht for 2 months before application would not be needed.

If going from the income option to money in the bank option the proof of income would not be needed.

Sigh! Why could immigration (when introducing a system where you need to prove compliance for the entire previous year) not state that you must, each month, either be in compliance under money in bank, or by income. Saying you must be in compliance for both is unfair and unnecessary (unless the objective is to push you into the clutches of agents).

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's interesting. I have 3 bank accounts with 3 different banks. 

The one I use for immigration (money in bank method) straight up refused to do that. Also the other 2 said the same.

Accounts in my name only.

Will look into Krungsri.

Edit: just read your earlier post. Fact is your married. I'm in same boat as OP. Have partner but not married.

Married but she still has Miss and original name on her ID card, the bank do not know we are married so I assume any can be co signature. 

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

The arrangement you have is probably acceptable. It is normally the 'executor of the estate' who informs the bank and 'the wife' is usually that person. But the O/P is not married, so his situation is different. This is why I mentioned it.

I have the same arrangement as you, by the way. With the same bank.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:59 AM, KannikaP said:

But of course, 12 x 65k = only 780k but accepted. TIT. LOL

You cannot take the view that immigration will stick to the figure you would expect. Back in the days of embassy letter I normally did the the combo method and it was viewed as being the income method with a top up. First time I did it I was 80K short on income and had about 150K in the bank, immigration said there was a 200K minimum on any funds used for top up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

If OP is terminally ill and not intending to leave the country, why bother with Immo?

Why would he want to do that and take a chance on being caught with a overstay that could result in deportation from the country.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

What about the 400k baht after 3 months. They can ask for proof of that when you apply for your next extension.

Joe he has keep the 800,000 in the bank while also sending over 66,000 baht a month, so at next extension uses the monthly method and no worry about showing the 400,000 in the bank this is exactly what I did for my extension back in April, went from the 800,000 to the monthly

Edited by flexomike
read op post incorrectly

On 7/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, khunPer said:

Even if you change your extension of stay, you should make a Last Will covering your assets in Thailand. It's simple and you can do it by just writing clearly yourself, what you wish in your own language or English, eventual get it translated also to Thai language, then go to the local amphor district office together with two witnesses, and sign the document there (remember ID for example passport), and ask them to register it, and either let them keep the original will in file, or hand it to your wife. You can for example just state that all your assets shall belong to (your wife's name) after your death, eventually also state what shall happen with your body, for example cremation; according to my source you can even have the amphor office to write the will for you, and read it back to you, before you sign it, but probably only in Thai language. There is no inheritance tax in Thailand.

You can also ask a lawyer for assistance, but your own, preferably handwritten, will signed at the amphor office is equal legal, according to "Thai Law for Foreigners".

Sad about your illness.

Presumably when and if you die,like myself..  do not want to go thru due process of lawyers,bank agreements etc.   Confident in UK has my ATM numbers, plus details of banking issues whoever wants my money,a call to him ,plus recovery of ATM card from my now deceased body provides all

23 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Joe he has keep the 800,000 in the bank while also sending over 66,000 baht a month, so at next extension uses the monthly method and no worry about showing the 400,000 in the bank this is exactly what I did for my extension back in April, went from the 800,000 to the monthly

800k for 3 months then 400k thereafter 

6 hours ago, fredscats said:

Presumably when and if you die,like myself..  do not want to go thru due process of lawyers,bank agreements etc.   Confident in UK has my ATM numbers, plus details of banking issues whoever wants my money,a call to him ,plus recovery of ATM card from my now deceased body provides all

I've made a Last Will - or rather two, one here, and one in my home country for any assets that might be left there - with a will there is no problems if someone cash money out from an ATM-card, as I've already stated in the will that the someone - whom I've already given my card-code for emergency protection - shall be granted some instant survival cash. I'm not married to that someone, so in principle she's not an heir, if I don't mention her in a will, and therefore she would in principle be "stealing" if she's emptying my bank account after my death, so that situation I'm also preventing...????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why would he want to do that and take a chance on being caught with a overstay that could result in deportation from the country.

I do not, of course, know the stage of illness that OP is in. 

But the people I have known who suffered from end-stage ALS did not leave their house much.

Thus, I am thinking that OP would not be at much risk of attracting the attention of Immigration if he rarely left home -- or even if he did.

My understanding is that Thai Immo is more concerned about foreigners who are breaking international criminal laws, not those on overstay.

So, at age in my 70s myself, I am trying to put myself in OP's shoes. 

I think I would prefer to risk the chance of being caught for overstay and IDC, or deportation, compared to having affordable end-of-life care in Thailand. ...

...with the freedom to divest myself of my funds and assets as I sought fit and while still of sound mind.   

That is the risk I would take IF terminally ill and in the final stages, while living here in Thailand. 

Thus, I am not promoting overstay for any ex-pat here.  I am just wondering if I were in OP's shoes.

It could happen to me.  It could happen to others.  Food for thought.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, nzrick said:

Hi nzrick..............please check your private mail box on here as I have sent you some info regarding a Thai Will.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, Moonlover said:

Bank accounts of a deceased person are frozen until probate is completed. It would be a criminal offence for his G/F to access it or attempt to.

Sorry not true. Police/Authorities do not go scouring every bank in Thailand to see if they have an account.

If the account is used only with the ATM card, then nobody is the wiser.

Passport is basically the only document that must be handed over by the wife, as the police give this (and police report) to the relevant Embassy.

One caveat  --Single guys who die alone, and have documents in their room may have police/Embassy follow up, and that is only to find a next of kin (next of kin are responsible for any follow up on accounts, insurance, other personal stuff).

This is only a very basic run down here, as it could be complicated at times in some circumstances.

29 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

One caveat  --Single guys who die alone, and have documents in their room may have police/Embassy follow up

OP is not married. 

31 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

If the account is used only with the ATM card, then nobody is the wiser.

But such use after death would not be legal and as not married unlikely to be overlooked.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, Moonlover said:

What happens to the funds in a joint account in the event of the demise of one of the account holders?

We have joint accounts in the Isle of Man and here in Thailand, in the IoM the account automatically reverts to the remaining partner in the event of the others death, not sure about here.

40 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

What happens to the funds in a joint account in the event of the demise of one of the account holders?

We have joint accounts in the Isle of Man and here in Thailand, in the IoM the account automatically reverts to the remaining partner in the event of the others death, not sure about here.

Joint accounts are no problem. They automatically become the property of the surviving partner, just as in the UK. 

• Like 1