The Older I Become, the Less LIFE, as we know it, Makes Sense to Me. Do you feel the same as I? Like Vonnegut, do you yearn for life on Saturn, someday?

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Whether or not there is any "hidden" meaning to the Universe, or maybe Multiverse, other than it just exists, I think not.

How many billions of Galaxies in Universe ? How many Solar systems with planets in just one Galaxy ?

What is all that good for ?

It is all about the evolution of species .

If there is a species that destroys the ecological system that made it appear in the first place , it will be punished with suffering and extinction in the long term . 

Too stupid or selfish to ensure it's own survival , this species is lost .

No matter , there are billions of other species who will survive and further evolve .

Evolution is a one-way street . No way to go back , as time has changed everything already in the meantime ...

Edited by nobodysfriend

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, is there such a thing as "western culture"? I would think that as "western" covers a myriad of different cultures it would be impossible to distill it down to a version that could be taught.

WASP ......... there you go, distilled into all that counts.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

like Vonnegut, we should stick around and just do what we can, while we still are able to breathe.

We breath out CO2 so one way to help the planet would be...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

WASP ......... there you go, distilled into all that counts.

I had to google that, and while true a long time ago, I don't know that it's still dominant. Immigration of a certain culture is having a large effect on our societies, IMO.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The worst fate for a writer is to lose his mind.

And, so, no doubt this is why Hemingway used his gun.

Some people say, Hemingway was crazy to do this.  I do not agree.

Sounds like you've become very introverted with the years. What would the younger you advise right now? I'm sure it wouldn't involve blowing your head off with a gun. Maybe try to find yourself a small goal, or a big one, and take a step towards that, then another one. 

Rather that thinking too much about would you should do, just do something. If that doesn't work out, try something else.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you finally achieve what you were yearning for?

Possibly.  I am financially solvent.  Do not need to work but am still going on to the next engineering contract because Thailand is so messy right now.  I would be a bit bored just sitting around doing nothing.  I would dearly love to tutor Math, science, physics, etc.  I have a BS in engineering and a MS in Math.  I like to keep my brain a little active.  This year is a holding pattern until I decide to buy my Florida Retirement home, or just head to Thailand and grit it out, or rent a place in Florida for a while and just be a beach bum, etc.  I have friends in Los Angeles CA I can crash at for a bit while waiting for things to develop (or fall apart)!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Now who would i have liked to have been ,? Gosh i struck gold ME,thats right i have loved being me ,born just after the war,had a great childhood and teenage years ,knew early on i was not going to be very rich so lived my life my way in my early 20s lived in London and mixed with so many tv and pop people, got married  ,got divorced ,had a fantastic relationship for many years ,it ended ,became very well known in my own field, made money  lost it ,got it back ,couple more fun marriages ,and now married to a fantastic wife,have great British and Thai family have a son and daughter ,lovely house here in Pattaya and now as my life comes to its last stages i can look back and say f-ck that was fun.

You had a life . You were lucky .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I would like to have been a Viking. ????

I'd like to have had more confidence with women, back when I was young and they weren't PC.

Other than that I'd like to have gone to work in the Aussie mines instead of becoming a nurse. I'd be incredibly wealthy now had I done so.

If I could use a time machine I'd go back and tell me not to make the biggest mistake of my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd like to have had more confidence with women, back when I was young and they weren't PC.

Other than that I'd like to have gone to work in the Aussie mines instead of becoming a nurse. I'd be incredibly wealthy now had I done so.

If I could use a time machine I'd go back and tell me not to make the biggest mistake of my life.

That's quite sad, like the song in my life I've had my regrets but few to mention.

My youngest daughter in UK is a paramedic and luv's her job. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's quite sad, like the song in my life I've had my regrets but few to mention.

My youngest daughter in UK is a paramedic and luv's her job. 

I'd love to have been a paramedic, but these days it's a bit risky given the patients they get. Same with A and E. I loved it during training, but now it's full of drunken yobs causing problems for the staff. No one needs that sort of agro.

The reason I should never have gone nursing was simple- BULLYING. Some of the senior nurses and managers were horrid bullies and they made my life a misery. I went nursing to help people and ended up having to retire early because of a few nasty people in positions of power.

Other than that it could be a great job, even though the pay was pitiful ( I didn't go into nursing to make money though, as one doesn't make much ).

With my qualifications ( Diesel mechanic, from a previous career ) I could have minted it in the Aussie mines. Friend of mine was an electrician in the mines. He lives in a million $ house now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

So , you did it your way ...?

I guess so, had to brush myself off and start all over again a few times when I was young.

I inventually found a job I liked which is somewhat of an achievement in my book of life. 

Almost retired at an earlier time that I aim for, glad to get like my get out of jail free card from England and are pleased to have settled in Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd love to have been a paramedic, but these days it's a bit risky given the patients they get. Same with A and E. I loved it during training, but now it's full of drunken yobs causing problems for the staff. No one needs that sort of agro.

The reason I should never have gone nursing was simple- BULLYING. Some of the senior nurses and managers were horrid bullies and they made my life a misery. I went nursing to help people and ended up having to retire early because of a few nasty people in positions of power.

Other than that it could be a great job, even though the pay was pitiful ( I didn't go into nursing to make money though, as one doesn't make much ).

With my qualifications ( Diesel mechanic, from a previous career ) I could have minted it in the Aussie mines. Friend of mine was an electrician in the mines. He lives in a million $ house now.

Well it wouldn't be a job I would want, my thoughts are getting work you like is important in life and I'm thankful I found work that was satisfying and I was good at. 

• Like 1

IMO, there is no 'purpose'.  That is a man-made construct we've been conditioned to in various ways, depending on where you were born, ethnicity, culture, societal organization, and for many, the additional lens of a manufactured religion.

Otherwise, we are animals in the natural system.  We are born, try to survive, reproduce, and would still be dying at a much younger age if we were living as intended, before modernization and intervention of medical science. 

As each successive generation gets older than nature intended, its members often yearn for the simpler times of their youth, feeling they are no longer a part of the increasingly chaotic world around them, and that they've had enough of it. 

They may well be onto something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it wouldn't be a job I would want, my thoughts are getting work you like is important in life and I'm thankful I found work that was satisfying and I was good at. 

I don't want to give the impression that the work itself was bad. It was just the bullying from senior nurses and management, plus some patient visitors that spoiled it. I did do it for decades, so obviously found something I liked about it.

However, it's not something I'd recommend to a friend if they had a choice.

The ironic thing about nursing is that it's run by nurses that don't like doing actual hands on nursing. We never saw charge nurse emptying used bed pans or matron making beds.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

IMO, there is no 'purpose'.  That is a man-made construct we've been conditioned to in various ways, depending on where you were born, ethnicity, culture, societal organization, and for many, the additional lens of a manufactured religion.

Otherwise, we are animals in the natural system.  We are born, try to survive, reproduce, and would still be dying at a much younger age if we were living as intended, before modernization and intervention of medical science. 

As each successive generation gets older than nature intended, its members often yearn for the simpler times of their youth, feeling they are no longer a part of the increasingly chaotic world around them, and that they've had enough of it. 

They may well be onto something.

While I agree with what you say about us living too long, I don't agree about "no purpose". IMO only lower animals live without purpose. IMO humans were given the blessing ( or curse ) of needing to have meaning in life. IMO that's why we become religious or follow religious like movements like the climate change believers, or join criminal gangs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think I ever managed to find work I liked.

Even tried working as a Scuba instructor (UK/Malta/Israel/Jorden), completely destroyed all enjoyment I got from diving. In the end I just settled on the job that paid me the most money and pension, in the shortest time ........ now that was satisfying, not the job, but retiring at age 45.

Had some friends who retired at 45 they were police officers.