Boy.......Going into a bank is very stressful now..........

redwood1

13 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Wise is cheaper

Someone else mentioned this to me but I saw on the wise website, when using a credit card you can be charged with a cash advance instead of a regular merchant transaction. I transfer via credit card for rewards and then just pay the bill off.

I guess if you're doing a direct bank transfer wise would be cheaper though. I may have to actually do a transfer and figure out of it's a cash advance with my banks credit card, thanks for reminding me about it

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Someone else mentioned this to me but I saw on the wise website, when using a credit card you can be charged with a cash advance instead of a regular merchant transaction. I transfer via credit card for rewards and then just pay the bill off.

I guess if you're doing a direct bank transfer wise would be cheaper though. I may have to actually do a transfer and figure out of it's a cash advance with my banks credit card, thanks for reminding me about it

There are different ways to do a transfer with Wise:

If you use your credit/debit card, transfer is received in a matter of seconds. Cost for transfering 1000 euros that way to Thailand is about 10 euros.

If you transfer money from your bank account, it takes about 2 working days, but cost for transfering 1000 euros that way is only about 6 euros.

Exchange rate is official one, not "bank rate".  39'1 bahts againts euro now.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sharecropper said:
1 hour ago, dj230 said:

you can transfer money online internationally, paypal works great for me

How do you get your Thai baht into Paypal before being able to send it out of Thailand?

Link your PP account to a Thai bank account, I sent money to the US yesterday that way. 

Established PP accounts can still do this but I believe new PP accounts (or maybe it's new requests to link to Thai bank accounts) is on hold.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Espanol said:

There are different ways to do a transfer with Wise:

If you use your credit/debit card, transfer is received in a matter of seconds. Cost for transfering 1000 euros that way to Thailand is about 10 euros.

If you transfer money from your bank account, it takes about 2 working days, but cost for transfering 1000 euros that way is only about 6 euros.

Exchange rate is official one, not "bank rate".  39'1 bahts againts euro now.

Yes but if you get hit with a cash advance on your credit card there is usually a fee, in canada $10, plus there is interest charged. I've compared $1000 transfer with paypal/wise and theres about a $10 difference in what you'd get in baht, although if you get hit with the $10 cash advance fee it pretty much breaks even, plus you need to pay interest on the charge unless you pay it off same day

Edited by dj230

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Link your PP account to a Thai bank account, I sent money to the US yesterday that way. 

Established PP accounts can still do this but I believe new PP accounts (or maybe it's new requests to link to Thai bank accounts) is on hold.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to do this - I have a long-established PP account. The <deleted> I had to go through to send a million baht beggars belief.

15 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Yes but if you get hit with a cash advance on your credit card there is usually a fee, in canada $10, plus there is interest charged. I've compared $1000 transfer with paypal/wise and theres about a $10 difference in what you'd get in baht, although if you get hit with the $10 cash advance fee it pretty much breaks even, plus you need to pay interest on the charge unless you pay it off same day

So, you better use debit card. I don't have such problem when using them. Actually, I never use credit cards for anything.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Espanol said:

So, you better use debit card. I don't have such problem when using them. Actually, I never use credit cards for anything.

Sometimes it's good to use credit cards, especially when you must hand the card to someone.  If they skim your card, they steal the credit card / bank's money, not your own money. 

If you use a debit card and they skim, they steal your money.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Thanks 1

Nearly 2022 and goes to the bank to pay rent? Who does that in this age?? There is an app for something called "stressless living" and for creating and organizing standing instructions or standing orders. 

21 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I guess I could but I have always just paid the rent in cash....

“If You Always Do What You’ve Always Done, You’ll Always Get What You’ve Always Got.” ~ Henry Ford

21 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I sure as heck won't be giving "my" information to any of these "not a foreigner" people. Not really sure who in GOD's name they "think" they are, but not going to happen...

Ever heard the term "No Money, No Honey??"  well the bank says "No Info, No Money"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't have internet access to my bank accounts UK or Thai.

All phone apps now.

Phone apps and bank to bank is the way to go. Then just take a screenshot of the receipt on your phone for safekeeping…easy-peasy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

I had a similar problem at the bank last week while wearing a mask over my nose. Every time I breathed out my glasses misted up.

What to do? Wear my mask properly and make mistakes, or lower it long enough to sign everything then pull it back up.

I have a similar problem getting out of my pick up with the a/c on.

This is my pet peeve re: masks. Try pulling your glasses a little farther down your nose, if you can. It creates some space between your face and the lenses. 

That worked for me. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't have internet access to my bank accounts UK or Thai.

All phone apps now.

You Can have internet access .I do Nothing on the Phone that's hopeless my hands/fingers are a bit on the Large site ,stuffing up everything.

They tried at the bank for Phone apps. 

I Made Very clear that I wanted Internet access.

The girls were that Stupid they had to ask the Supervisor because they didn't know that their was internet access was available .

People here they live on the Phone, can't talk to them ,they eat while on the phone ,go to the toilet ,ride motorbike , Work with one hand and playing with the phone ,Go to bed with the phone ,watch tv while on the phone .

Haven't seen them having sex while on the phone ,but that will be next .  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DBath said:

Phone apps and bank to bank is the way to go. Then just take a screenshot of the receipt on your phone for safekeeping…easy-peasy. 

BKB app saves a screenshot on every phone app transaction.

No need to even think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You get phone apps from your UK bank? Wish I could.

An hour on the phone to the UK costing about 20 quid.

First 2 phone calls were directed to Indian ladies in Mumbai, poor English, couldn't operate their computers. 3rd call got me an English chap with a Northern accent, done in 60 seconds.

I complained about it taking so long on the phone, and they put 20 pounds in my account.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

people get set in their ways and it takes time to learn to trust Thai banking.

Actually easier to transfer money here than in the USA. 

Easier than England as well.

The west appears to be lagging behind Thailand with phone/banking/internet/online shopping technology.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Who goes to a bank to pay their rent?

Rhetorical.

I think folks like the OP seem to find stressful situations, and then make them worse.

My Bangkok Bank branch is quite large, pre-COVID maybe 25 people queued on the first floor teller area, and another 10 queued upstairs for business, foreign remittance, account service. Now? Maybe 5 downstairs, 2 upstairs. No temp check, I do use the blue fist app at entry, breeze in, go upstairs, get my paper, leave. Stress-free.

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

BKB app saves a screenshot on every phone app transaction.

No need to even think.

I closed my BKB account a few days ago, because I moved to Spain, but I did not know it auto saved those transactions. It did pop up on the screen automatically, then I’d capture it. Found it to be very handy. I liked banking at BKB. I was also signed up for Bualuang banking, but never really used the online banking feature. When I closed my account I was able to go to the Bualuang desk at BKB Headquarters, which was nice and private.  It reminded me of using Chase Private Client in the US - almost. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although I love cash I would never go back to that level.

Do you have a Thai bank account with an ATM card?

As far as I remember you can do transfers at the ATM.

Yes - I use the atm machines for all my transfers.  There's a small fee (20 THB at K Bank) - which you can avoid by using on-line banking, but after an issue with my online account I closed it.

- I kept getting SMS messages sending me the OTP for transactions that I did not do on my K Bank online banking, so now always use the atm.

Rarely go the the branch now.

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do YOU wear spectacles?

If you do, you will understand. If you don't I cannot help you.

BTW thank you for your unwanted and un-needed advice. I have filed it under trash.

FYI...   I wear glasses, and I'm able to adjust the mask to wear it correctly AND to avoid them fogging up.  I see many others that wear glasses wearing their masks properly.

• Like 1