Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

22 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Kayaking and snorkelling cheaper in Thailand by a mile. Dont drink wine. Aus food is expensive. 

In all the chat about how expensive Oz is, you & others fail to notice that (1) most people in Oz earn incomes multiples higher than most in Thailand (2) the spread of those incomes is way way more equitable across the population than in Thailand. That may make no difference to people living on, say, a UK pension, but of course the economy is designed by the locals for the locals ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never bothered, did my first TM30 last year in order to get a 1 year extension. Lots of hate towards Thailand shown in this thread, if I hated Thailand, I'd just leave.

I like it here!

Had to laugh - I just did my first one also - after 17 years I needed one for the extension !!! 555

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

In all the chat about how expensive Oz is, you & others fail to notice that (1) most people in Oz earn incomes multiples higher than most in Thailand (2) the spread of those incomes is way way more equitable across the population than in Thailand. That may make no difference to people living on, say, a UK pension, but of course the economy is designed by the locals for the locals ...

Which is good for retirees

• Like 1

I'm still loving life in the beautiful deep south alhamdulilah and just renewed my visa extension for another year. Insh'Allah Thailand will let me stay and work here for the foreseeable future.

I see no reason yet to leave. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Would point out most of us are retired/pensioners.

We don't earn any money at all.

The problem of all people around the world is that they look too many news on TV and on social networks so they have their minds manipulated. I never look TV and never listen any news about covid so I can live in Thailand without any stress

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Thanks. A nice clip. I love it when - usually 0600-0700 - they play Isaan music over the loudspeakers. Mostly Isaan Lao love songs. And yes, my family are 'Northern Khmer' or 'Khmer Surin'. I t was interesting taking b/f to Siem Reap ('victory over the Thais') for his first ever visit to Cambodia. First day he thought he couldn't understand a word (a bit like me in southern US) but, as his confidence rose, he started to speak to the locals amongst gales of laughter on both sides ... Nice to see. And not much different from his Lao - depending on context & accents he says he understands about 50%.

The Khmer Surin were separated from their ethnic brothers in Cambodia but they are still doing fine unlike the Southern Khmer who are suffering under the Vietnamese.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Go to fishing villages on the beach. Prachuap etc

Used to live in Ban Phe. Down to the dock every morning, see what the night fishermen caught.

Don't get no fresher - unless you cook it in the boat

17 minutes ago, Liebemein said:

That's might be the way.Screenshot_20210702-194851_Twitter.thumb.jpg.d1b65a3efe2cee1dd2a1b097ba1eece8.jpg

So true

Tv news is all negative scare mongering nonsense

Ive never seen a murder. Never seen a bank robbery. Never seen much at all. Car crash only. All the other scare mongering nonsense is rare!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Being from Los Angeles as you are, do you really think you’d be happier back there?  You won’t get the random smiles from strangers, everybody is either complaining/fighting about social issues, politics, etc etc etc.  No different than on the forum here.

I find that the best way to deal is to just disengage….from all the “hot topics”.  Thankfully here in Thailand, we can do that.  Nowadays, back in the US, you are expected to pick a side of whatever the issue is.  Can’t be neutral or have no opinion.  That just makes you a pariah to both sides.

I think that the best thing (if I might offer my advice for the 2c that it’s worth) would be to just let the world play out however it’s gonna play out.  Pay no attention to politics….it’ll be what it’ll be.  Stay out of political threads, Covid threads, Vaccine threads, My wife done me wrong threads, cost of living threads.  Wherever people are going to “pick a side”.  Just clear your head.

Then, go on to YouTube and watch things like Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr standup comedy…or whatever else will make you laugh.  

Bill burr is great

• Thanks 1

I know Americans that wanted to prance the US because of the previous govt, over the top if you ask me. 

I think you should just not read the news and chill out. Many guys I know here ate paranoid, they're is no threat to foreigners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anton9 said:

Yeah I am considering it for the first time after 10 years.

And for me it's mostly about Covid, I don't see an end to the crazy restrictions and lack of freedom.

And where do you see an end to them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes But just getting to BKK to fly out will be a challenge from now on.  I thought coming back in February was difficult but no domestic flights, buses or trains from CNX to BKK means I will have to hire a car and driver. A flight from CNX to BKK can be as low as 900 Baht but private ground transportation can be anywhere from 7,000 to 10,000 Baht or even higher.  The other issues are the reliability and safety of the driver.  I would prefer the driver to  show up on time and drive safely for 8 hours(these could be difficult).  Land of Smiles, the end is near for me.  I just want to get out in one piece.

I have find one company in CNX that says they can provide ground transportation from CNX to BKK can anyone on TV recommend another that serves the CNX to BKK route as well?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Nope, I like it here.

1. I think Thailand is run pretty well. I don't see any xenophobia. And I'd hate the thought of Thailand changing beyong recognition due to the wrong type of migration, like in France and increasingly the UK.

2. No way I'd take my kid to the West to deal with the chavs, boguns, hooligans, neds, hoodlums, karens, and chads.

3. Thailand has a way better quality of life and standard of living for us. Here, I am earning the same, maybe more, than I would be in my old profession back West. And like I said: quality of life, too (whether it's an Issan town or Bangkok; I've done both, though prefer Bangkok).

The list goes on to smaller details, but those are the main ones.

There are some adjustments I'd make (in a perfect world) but we don't live in a perfect world.

• Like 1