29,000 expats in Thailand register for vaccine using Expatvac website

webfact

I registered my email address and selected the first category and was prompted to enter my email address again - received an error message that my email was already taken...

Tried again with a different email same results.

What should I do now?

You have registered this email for the FIRST dose of the COVID-19 vaccination. Please click on the following link to begin your registration :

https://expatvac.consular.go.th/regis/perinfo?id=<link removed>

Please prepare the following documents for the pre-registration:
1. Passport or official identification document (pdf/jpeg)
2. Official medical certificate confirming the diagnosis of the underlying medical condition(s) (pdf/jpeg)

Next screen where I could go no further:

Registration for the FIRST dose
of the COVID-19 vaccination for foreign residents

Foreign residents

Please enter your Email address.

Email address
Email addressไม่ใช่รูปแบบอีเมลที่ถูกต้อง
Edited by blackcab
Link removed

4 hours ago, friendofthai said:

This is an example of double standards. Here in thaivisa you can see a lot of discussions where people said Sinovac was about 50% effective about 6 months ago. Nobody said that this was "misleading! Sinovac demonstrated about 80% effectiveness against hospitalization". But now - in the era of delta variant - when Pfizer demonstrates similar characteristics - it is not allowed to say that its effectiveness in Israel is 39%, right?

You seem to have a very limited understanding of science. I'm guessing your education level is rather low. It's normal for there to be outliers. Israel is an outlier. Data from other countries show Pfizer has a much higher level of protection against the Delta variant. We don't yet have quality data on Sinovac's level of protection against the Delta variant but the best data we have does not look promising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I registered my email address and selected the first category and was prompted to enter my email address again - received an error message that my email was already taken...

Tried again with a different email same results.

What should I do now?

Many people had that problem during the first 2 hours the site went live.  Basically should happen normally is you enter your email address, it saves it (with blank details), then sends you an email with a link to continue the registration process.   The first thing is to check your email and check your spam folder and make sure it has not sent the email later.

What happened with me is I tried signing up with a couple different addresses over an hour and a bit and received an error.  Finally a couple hours later I tried my final email address I rarely use and it worked and did not give an error and it sent me an email link.  I then filled in the details.   I then started to receive emails from the other email addresses an hour later (not sure if the programmer started manually starting a process to send emails).  I would say keep trying new email addresses in the mean time every hour or so and keep an eye on your inbox and spam folders of your other email addresses. 

26 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I dunno about the recipient of your vitriol, but I'd rather have a rather low education level than a rude nature.

Not rude or vitriolic at all. There's no shame in having a low education level. I'm genuinely trying to help someone who's clearly struggling to understand the data and is making absurd statements and decisions.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, friendofthai said:

What exactly is misleading? I just read the article which said that "Israel says Pfizer Covid vaccine is just 39% effective as delta spreads".

If you think that CNBC is spreading any misleading information you should discuss it with them, not with me.

It was a misleading article that you read. The statistic refers to infection, not symptomatic illness or worse. With earlier variants this number was 70%. This link provides further caveats on the 39% statistic:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-23/pfizer-shot-just-39-effective-in-halting-delta-israel-says

Pfizer's current update seeking EUA is not taking account of the Delta variant. Let's hope that Moderna leapfrogs the Pfizer and tackles Delta.

Does data exist on the ability of Sinovac to prevent Delta infection? 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hopefully not... that is in an old passport I am not even sure I could locate. I expect a current Extension will suffice if needed at all.

You would have the visa transfer stamp in your current passport. Mine is a stamp in Thai which gives my old passport number, visa type, date of entry, etc. Should be in the first visa pages of your passport.

9 hours ago, watthong said:

Sorry late to report, but ever since I got my 2nd Sinovac jab 2 weeks ago, I've been feeling as if I was walking on air... with expectation of my booked and paid for Moderna booster jab to arrived in a timely manner (will that put me on Cloud 9?) Must admit a twinge of envy now that Pfizer is up for grabs, but at the time I already agreed with myself that one bird in one hand is better than two, or three, in the bush, so no looking back.

Consider myself to be in the lucky minority of being fully vaxxed and PROTECTED. My advice to those who hesitate and still window shop, the best vaccine is the one that gets into your arm the soonest! Me think of the (way way) earlier days of electronics when people were pulling their hair out deciding whether to spend a good chunk of money on 64k, 128k or 256k of RAM for the heavily order-backlogged IBM PC (base RAM 16k, storage option: 1 or 2 floppy disk drives!)!

Now that your good to go on the chinese vacc and expecting a Mvacc booster ,are you gonna double or single mask after the booster ! No sarcasm meant  ! Just  Curious !

Edited by riclag

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Many people had that problem during the first 2 hours the site went live.  Basically should happen normally is you enter your email address, it saves it (with blank details), then sends you an email with a link to continue the registration process.   The first thing is to check your email and check your spam folder and make sure it has not sent the email later.

What happened with me is I tried signing up with a couple different addresses over an hour and a bit and received an error.  Finally a couple hours later I tried my final email address I rarely use and it worked and did not give an error and it sent me an email link.  I then filled in the details.   I then started to receive emails from the other email addresses an hour later (not sure if the programmer started manually starting a process to send emails).  I would say keep trying new email addresses in the mean time every hour or so and keep an eye on your inbox and spam folders of your other email addresses. 

BKKCANUCK8,

Thank you for your encouragement!

After several hours the last email that i used worked.

Then I filled out the form which required some patience... as I had to upload two files - I finally figured out how to combine as a PDF and was able to upload that.

I am in Chiang mai and look forward to a local appointment and hopefully get Pfizer!

Thanks again

On 8/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

I signed up on 2 registrations for Covid shot and got an appointment on both of them, and have even had my first shot.

A friend who has already received his first AZ shot and finding himself being contacted by other providers he enrolled with for vaccination, was advised that the 2nd jab MUST be from the same provider as his first jab otherwise they won't issue any proof of being dual/fully vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, 55Jay said:

Huh!  I was using the Browse function and 2nd file replaced the first, at least on mine - Desktop Win10.   Tried it twice, then went to the PP work around. 

I was using W10 and Chrome. I selected BOTH files at the same time in the Browse option and BOTH files uploaded side by side. Maybe if you select them one at a time, they 'overwrite' like they do in the click/drag option?

19 hours ago, NevNic said:

Some help please:

Does anybody know how to re-arrange or cancel an appointment at Bangsue confirmed via Expatvac?

Also, a week or so ago, I think someone explained on ASEAN NOW  how to find out where a vaccine was produced. Does anyone have that post please?

I read recently that the UK and EU will not accept the Astra Zeneca vaccine produced in India for travel purposes.

Canada used AZ produced in India for an initial rollout last spring, the policy was get a first shot in as many arms as possible as their first attempts were awful, sound familiar?

They then followed that up with a second shot of Pfizer, Moderna, or AZ again as availability became more widespread.

Problem for people wanting to travel outside of Canada now, AZ isn't recognized by the US at all, EU and UK don't recognize AZ made in India, nobody recognizes mixing of vaccines.

It's a problem for my workmates.

Makes me wonder if AZ produced in Thailand will have a similar prejudice to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A friend who has already received his first AZ shot and finding himself being contacted by other providers he enrolled with for vaccination, was advised that the 2nd jab MUST be from the same provider as his first jab otherwise they won't issue any proof of being dual/fully vaccinated.

That's what I was planning on doing, I've already cancelled my Medpark appointment.

1 hour ago, HaoleBoy said:

If anyone has gotten an Appt Date (after sending in your Passport / Visa and Medical Diagnosis) please post so we know they have started.

Would be great if you can post your age, if any medical diag (not specifics) and your province for jabs.

yes guys please share on this thread with any updates

I think it will take a while to get through all the applications - 450k AZ arrived yesterday I believe 

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

Canada used AZ produced in India for an initial rollout last spring, the policy was get a first shot in as many arms as possible as their first attempts were awful, sound familiar?

They then followed that up with a second shot of Pfizer, Moderna, or AZ again as availability became more widespread.

Problem for people wanting to travel outside of Canada now, AZ isn't recognized by the US at all, EU and UK don't recognize AZ made in India, nobody recognizes mixing of vaccines.

It's a problem for my workmates.

Makes me wonder if AZ produced in Thailand will have a similar prejudice to it.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-delegation-to-malaysia-says-all-who-approved-vaccines-are-valid-for-travel-to-eu-including-covishield/

The EU Delegation to Malaysia was also clearing up issues concerning vaccines following reports quoting the European Medicines Agency (EMA) as only authorising AstraZeneca vaccines manufactured in specific countries, including among the bloc’s member states, for the digital certificate.

Apart from AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Janssen and Moderna, the World Health Organisation has approved for emergency use the AstraZeneca/CoviShield, AstraZeneca/AZD1222 (manufactured by the SII and SK Bio), Siopharm, by Beijing Bio-Institute and Sinovac.

However, the EMA report noted that the approval does not cover AstraZeneca vaccines made by South Korea’s SK Bioscience or Thailand’s Siam Bioscience. These vaccines are currently being administered to Malaysians after arriving from the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) facility and direct orders.

It does..

On 8/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, NanLaew said:

Filling in the details, finding my country, selecting my (long ago) birth date and uploading 2 graphic files took maybe 3 minutes tops. Since a total of 28,788 expats had registered since 6pm on Monday (Aug 2), maybe you should dwell on YOUR inabilities a bit more?

Wow what a condescending comment obviously you don't have a lot of experience of Thai websites just because you were lucky enough to get success doesn't mean that it works for others I am an experienced website user I tried this site and it rejected 2 different email addresses both of which I have used thousands of times.

Thailand hub of dreadful websites. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickyr55 said:

Wow what a condescending comment obviously you don't have a lot of experience of Thai websites just because you were lucky enough to get success doesn't mean that it works for others I am an experienced website user I tried this site and it rejected 2 different email addresses both of which I have used thousands of times.

Thailand hub of dreadful websites. 

Update managed to access site today not the hardest of sites to use but that was fun trying to sort out DOB but got there in the end, typical Thai government site for foreigners half in Thai. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NevNic said:

So, my question remains: how does one identify where a particular vaccine has been produced?

The name. They have specific names. It's pointed out in the article:

AstraZeneca/CoviShield(Serum Institute of India) AstraZeneca/AZD1222(SK Biopharmaceuticals Co., Ltd of South Korea)

2 hours ago, NevNic said:

So, my question remains: how does one identify where a particular vaccine has been produced?

By the Lot Number. You are normally given this information on your vaccination certificate.

So many people are asking the same questions about Lot Numbers on the internet that the information is available.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:07 PM, Saltire said:

Unless they have stripped out the doubtess duplicate/triplicate emails that may be in the database (many, me included tried various emails when getting rejections) by passport number, this number may actually be inflated. I got 3 acceptances but only filled the form in one time to register.

Surprises me the number is quite lower then I'd have thought and may actually reduce.

Will surprise me even more if I get an offer of a jab somewhere 'local', Anywhere not Bangkok will do. I see I am in the top 5% of priority candidates (66 and 2 underlying conditions) so waiting ................

then you also have foreigners registering but not applicable, tourist visa etc

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, mtls2005 said:

My best guess is that they took ownership of the vaccination of foreigners as a result of the Pfizer donation from the U.S. Whether they volunteered or were assigned, I can't say.

The DCA has the experience and language skills, after having served in many foreign countries, so may better know how to manage our expectations.

They seem to be doing a good job so far, and most know I am (un-?)fairly critical of the regime, so stingy with any sort of accolades.

I was 0-fer on ~ ten-ish registration schemes here since the days of mor prom.

Since the DCA took over I'm Three for Three.

What does DCA stand for?

On 8/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, bkkcanuck8 said:

When trying to reduce the data down to a single number (percent in this case) to inform the public -- it often has the opportunity to do the exact opposite.

A good primer on how vaccines work is available:

How do vaccines work?

The delta variant can shed after 4 days of infection (depending on viral load) (which may be before becoming symptomatic).  If your 'trained' immune system has not eliminated the threat by 4 days you could be vaccinated and infectious, you could be symptomatic and vaccinated.... however even if not a perfect match for the virus it gives your immune a head-start and is likely to prevent serious infection or hospitalization even if it failed to prevent you from becoming symptomatic or infectious. 

Basically before your immune system can respond, you have been exposed (i.e. infected) to the virus... just that your immune system can fight it off much quicker than if are not vaccinated (either the easy way or the hard way).

In the last hundred years the life expectancy has almost doubled, in large part that is because of being able to vaccinate against dangerous pathogens. 

I agree that a single number can be confusing, especially when it isn't clearly stated whether it refers to prevention of infection, or other preventions: symptomatic illness, serious illness, hospitalization, death.

It has been shown that someone infected with Covid can spread to others without showing symptoms. There have been relatively few breakthrough infections with the mRNA vaccines, so that is not a big issue for now. These infections

are more likely with immune-compromised people such as those undergoing therapy with drugs to suppress immunity for organ transplants, quite old people whose immune system is less functional.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsb2104756

Such people have the potential for becoming variant factories, so the most advanced booster should be a priority at an early date.

The following link gives a comparison of neutralization between vaccines including Pfizer and Sinovac (a/k/a Coronavac):

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01377-8

See figure 1.

People who have been infected, even those who were seriously ill, should nonetheless be vaccinated with at least a single jab. In doing this, their immune system will be boosted to a higher level, longer lasting.