Thailand reports daily record of over 20,000 COVID-19 infections

webfact

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Inter province travel needs greater control.

Can have exemptions such as transport of freight etc.

What needs to stop is travel for people.

Why the reluctance to put controls on this? 

I realize there are restrictions such as no flights however there is mass travel by people to various provinces.

If you stop people travelling to other provinces you will stop people working . There is barely a social safety net in Thailand ( small funds for those who pay tax but not easy to get paid out ) and what would become of families without an income ?

For sure 7-11s at major highways are super virus spreaders where the virus has been brought by long distance drivers from Bangkok etc .  As we all know money is number one in Thailand and the government will do all it can to hang on to its foreign reserves and stop a run on the Baht rather than assist its populations welfare .

59 minutes ago, rott said:

My regular place in Pattaya was never shut but it is now. There's four others in the same Soi all closed, just checked again now. I'll try the ones on Soi Buakhao tomorrow. 

When you say never shut I am talking about the big lockdown last year. 

5 minutes ago, superal said:

If you stop people travelling to other provinces you will stop people working

Not sure how many folk travel inter province for work.

I indicated in my post that exemptions can be put in place. 

What we currently have is virtually no restrictions on inter province travel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Experience in The West shows that Governments have only 2 weapons against the virus.

The only one that seems to work well (but it's early days) is vaccinating at least 70% and preferably 80% of the population.

Meantime - and in badly organized countries that may mean quite a long time - lockdowns have some positive effect, but only if ruthlessly enforced à la chinoise.

Your second point boils down the truism that the heavier the restrictions, the more effective in stopping the spread.

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not shooting any messenger but you need context:

"An important paradox to understand is that while it remains clear that fully vaccinated individuals are less likely to catch the infection, once the proportion of vaccinated people in a population goes up then it is likely that more cases will occur in vaccinated individuals than unvaccinated. The rate of infection in those that are vaccinated will remain lower than in those that aren’t but because there are so many more people who are vaccinated, that even a lower rate will end up with higher numbers in this group than those that are not vaccinated. This is not evidence the vaccine doesn’t work, its just that the denominator has been changed."

To get a clearer understanding read this opinion piece by the experts:

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/expert-reaction-why-are-fully-vaccinated-people-still-catching-covid-19

To put that in context with the little piggie graphic. Once the big bad wolf has blown down most of the straw and wood houses then obviously he will concentrate on the brick built ones, but they are much harder to penetrate.

I referred to a scientific study published by a UK Govt agency that shows from real data that among positive Covid Delta cases, vaxxed people are more than 3x more likely to die than completely unvaxxed ones.

In response you referred me to a non-peer reviewed opinion piece that (clearly) erroneously states:

"Given it's not 100 per cent however, by definition this means people who are vaccinated can still be infected. These breakthrough infections are likely to be much less severe than they would have been had the individual not been vaccinated and they are also less likely to pass it on to others."

The opinion is not supported by the facts I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it's all over

It is looking like that, so when are the members of this Military Junta going to be held accountable for this wholesale manslaughter of the citizens it was supposed to be looking after while they systematically looted the country to fill their own coffers.  So sad that these people will never be held accountable

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Sure. Per capita. Doesn't really matter which way you look at it Thailand is in a very bad spot. Very few deaths though comparatively.

Per capita is very important if you're comparing Thailand to other nations. I'm sure a lot of countries ahead of Thailand on the world list are not reporting the true situation. For example, China, Vietnam, Laos and Russia. Take a look at China's numbers as an extreme case of bs numbers. China has reported approximately 1/7th the infection numbers for Thailand and 900 fewer deaths, and only 96 cases were detected in the last 24 hours.

You might note too that when you look at the Coronavirus Dashboard, few countries besides Thailand are showing daily additional infections and deaths so it's very hard to compare Thailand with the rest of the world. Most other countries just keep a running total.

• Haha 1

All of this, yet the THB barely moves despite clear economic devastation and entire dead industries like tourism and hospitality, and others. Currency manipulation, or is some entity propping it up? It’s ridiculous that it’s barely getting weaker. It can barely stay above 33 Baht per USD which is where it was at about two years ago without any ill effects from COVID yet.

No amnesty announced again, have to keep getting covid extensions for $60 a pop, potentially endangering all the immigration workers there and people going to visit for renewal. I can’t imagine $60 every two months X how every many people need to get it, is making any kind of appreciable dent in the economy. I guess they are seeing how much they truly rely on foreigner money 

It’s just more callous foreigner hate, to not reintroduce an amnesty during a worse situation, and it’s genuinely harder to travel back home because of Delta Variant / Lack of getting a ‘good’ vaccine here. If there was ever a time to have an amnesty for foreigners and extended length of stay, it’s now.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I referred to a scientific study published by a UK Govt agency that shows from real data that among positive Covid Delta cases, vaxxed people are more than 3x more likely to die than completely unvaxxed ones.

In response you referred me to a non-peer reviewed opinion piece that (clearly) erroneously states:

"Given it's not 100 per cent however, by definition this means people who are vaccinated can still be infected. These breakthrough infections are likely to be much less severe than they would have been had the individual not been vaccinated and they are also less likely to pass it on to others."

The opinion is not supported by the facts I'm afraid.

The facts were clearly in that piece but you chose to ignore them, congratulations and good day

• Like 2

Numbers low in Thailand's Phuket tourism revival bid - official

BANGKOK, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Visitors to Thailand’s resort island of Phuket in July were at just 1% of pre-pandemic levels, an official told Reuters, as a bid to revive tourism to the Southeast Asian country gets off to a slow start amid its biggest COVID-19 outbreak yet.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-thailand-tourism-idUSL4N2PB1RG

• Thanks 2

just like the US . Supplies were limited in all stores. Even now with much vaccination implemented, we are still seeing higher prices and few limited supplies.

For Thailand,  if the factories production are slowing down, many products will be limited on the shelves at the supermarkets.

On the subject of vaccination below is a first hand report from an ICU physician in the US. It is her view and opinion, there are no numbers but it is what she witnessed and still sees. I have friends in the US who are familiar with the hospital and thankful to the ICU ward.

It is not Thailand but certainly relates to the current Covid and vaccine situation.

(Apologies for the ads...)

https://apple.news/AFaJRQuBFTO6K3onOLmT8tw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many people in ICU ?
What is the average age of people who died from Covid today ?
How many are not even wondering they were "sick" ? 

Those are the real questions, we are living with both virus and bacterias since we were born. 

Does someone have those figures ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeanrem said:

How many people in ICU ?

Those are the real questions, we are living with both virus and bacterias since we were born. 

If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will find what you're looking for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure how many folk travel inter province for work.

I indicated in my post that exemptions can be put in place. 

What we currently have is virtually no restrictions on inter province travel.

Thailand's transport systems rely on heavy goods vehicles as the railway infrastructure is not capable of coping , unlike most western countries , hence the mass of interprovincial travel , plus we often see vehicles on major routes carrying workers who are packed in like sardines . A national lockdown is the only way to stop the virus spread with only essential vehicles allowed to travel ( e.g. fresh food supplies ) 

It is so sad to see wonderful Thailand repeatedly falling flat on its face with its response to the pandemic... All because of a hand full of incompetent idiots in charge... Almost as bad as the GOPs response to it in the USA... ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will find what you're looking for.

I found 5000 people in ICU but I can not find anything regarding comorbidities from people who died, and what about their age ? 
Also, how many people who got Covid but didn't even feel it ? I can not find it.

30 minutes ago, jeanrem said:

How many people in ICU ?

Go back to the 2nd page of the OP and read through you will find what you need there. But hey I will be nice and feed you the info.

4,910 in ICU

1,035 on ventilators

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Today there were 188 deaths in #Thailand

90 males & 98 females

2 foreigners died

Median age is 67.5 (22-95 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (92)

Deaths reported in 34 provinces

68% older than 60 years old

4 died in their homes or on the way to hospital

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Your second point boils down the truism that the heavier the restrictions, the more effective in stopping the spread.

That might be a fair point if the relationship between strength of lockdown & health outcomes were a straight line, but I rather doubt that it is. Any more than the relationship between vaccination coverage and health outcomes.

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

We should all be in the little brick house, come on Thailand we're waiting..................

"This is the Best Visual Aid I’ve Seen for the Protection from #COVID19 Vaccination: Protect yourself with bricks, #GetVaccinated

@Vaccinologist@V2019N@DrEricDing#EpiTwitter (credit to drbacteriaoficial on IG)"

https://twitter.com/alvie_barr/status/1422573216904658944

Didn't THEY say 1 million vaccinations per day from the beginning of August, or did I just dream that I read that!?