Thailand reports daily record of over 20,000 COVID-19 infections

webfact

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your most likely aware of Balut. (duck or chicken)

Common snack in Vietnam.

Google with caution and not before tomorrows sunny side up breakfast.

Chicken fetus. I'll eat plenty of things but this aint one of them.

• Haha 2

BANGKOK: The chair of Thailand's Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG) said on Wednesday (Aug 4) that a deal to import 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was unlikely to happen, despite his earlier claims that a deal was close.

https://cna.asia/2VmgRDV

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

And it will be 50K a day with 1000 deaths soon if they don't get smart and revert to last year's policies. 

It's beyond me how this government can't see that.

The incremental measures taken have been a total joke.

The only thing people understand is a strict stay at home order with road checks. The only exception being when people need to go out for food or medicine or to see the doctor.

Even after 15 days of quarantine (ends tomorrow thank god) I'm prepared to do my part.

If anyone has a problem with it then tough. If the country doesn't put a stop to this thing it will literally destroy it.

How were last year's policies any different to the current dark-red lockdown?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Tomatoes are a fruit. They come from a vine not a tree. Fish also come from rivers not just the sea. Camel's milk is very good for you and goats milk makes great cheese. Oh, and chicken's come from eggs.

Could you loonies get any more off topic!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blumpie said:

In other words, now that it's in print, tomorrow people will probably be freaking out hoarding supplies.   

Unless Thais are smarter than westerners.  

20K a day...still no hoarding where I live. Aussies strip the shelves when there are 5 cases LOL

• Like 1

We need to see more leadership on display. The czar has not been doing press conferences for some time.  His last interview that hit the media about a week ago was a prepared discussion with one of his staff where he said Thailand was doing better tackling the pandemic than other 'top-ranked' countries without supporting data on that and justified the new gag order without explaning why it needed to include truthful reports.  But he hasn't outlined an action plan for the people.  No Churchillian moral boosting speech about fighting them on the beaches.  No doubt he is busy working hard to save the country but we need to see he leading from the front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

A Thai friend living in On Nut, who lives in one of those huge multi- building condo blocks, told me yesterday that "Government people in white suits and helmets" were literally walking the corridors and sniffing around door frames for the smell of dead bodies in condos.

Apparently they pulled 3 out in her building in just one day. I wonder if these "finds" are being added to the daily totals, but suspect not.

This happen in US cities like Philadelphia during Spanish flu which killed much faster than delta.  Social workers had to go through the tenements where they would sometimes find whole families dead.   

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, retsdon said:

A 25% increase in deaths over 4 days. Extrapolate that rate out over a couple of months and the situation becomes catastrophic.

Mathematically correct but from a very small base number any increase will be substantial. From my point of view, I assess the risk of death as negligible. Less than 1% - odds are definitely good considering one has to catch the virus first.

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Sadly, it would seem that my prediction on Monday that for the first time we will see >100,000 infections and >1000 deaths in a wk is going to happen. Absolutely tragic numbers. Tomorrow Thailand moves into 40th position on the Covid charts. Mr Empty Head says people should look at other countries to see that Thailand isn’t doing that bad. Well looking at other countries and this is from the very beginning there are as of tomorrow only 39 in the entire world worse than Thailand.

Surely population should factor in too. Thailand is 20th in population ranking.  

Despite these devastating numbers, Pattaya Immigration was packed with queues of un-distanced people waiting to get in. 100's of people were reporting due to the online reporting being out of order. Perhaps some staff will need to be infected before they start using their brains. What is so important about 90-day reporting right now with infection rates sky-rocketing. 

Edited by JensenZ

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Could you loonies get any more off topic!

Covid fatigue is setting in, and I am so glad to have a large enough Condo that I can walk around without bumping into a wall or tripping over a table and falling into the bed.  Just wish I could use the pool to swim in.....it's ok as people can travel around the country unimpeded, unlike last year.  Sure the stores still have shelves with food on them, but I have noticed many of the imported goods from the west are slowly disappearing. The local 7-11's look like they have been wiped out today, yet the CP 7-11's that are company owned and not franchises are well stocked.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Not long ago some experts predicted Thailand could reach 10.000 cases per day this autumn.... 

Yup, from memory about 3 weeks ago, experts said could reach as high as 10 000, few days ago experts again said could reach 20 000-30000, some experts said could go as high as 50 000.

If it keeps going with the same momentum, by next week will be at 30 000 or very close, and at 50 000 by the end of the month.

Something to note, not sure the reasoning but seems vaccinating foreigners has become a priority and not only more places opened up around the country but all offering mainly Astra or possibly Pfyser.

I wonder what has triggered sudden push and why Sinovac is not forced onto foreigners 

16 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Surely population should factor in too. Thailand is 20th in population ranking.  

Despite these devastating numbers, Pattaya Immigration was packed with queues of un-distanced people waiting to get in. 100's of people were reporting due to the online reporting being out of order. Perhaps some staff will need to be infected before they start using their brains. What is so important about 90-day reporting right now with infection rates sky-rocketing. 

Sure. Per capita. Doesn't really matter which way you look at it Thailand is in a very bad spot. Very few deaths though comparatively.

Edited by dinsdale

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lucky for me my GF is a hair stylist, so every 2 weeks I get the head tuned. If she had her way it would be once a week.  I tell her that its just looking good at the two week mark and she could wait another two, but no way, she who must be obeyed wins. After all it's sheer hell trying to run from a woman with a pair of scissors in one hand and the razor in the other....  ????

My Missus just bought some Clippers for my Hair.

I just suppose I will have to put myself under Anesthetic when she decides my hair is getting too long.

A few Beer Lao dark should do the trick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Another brilliant comment. Maybe one thousand people will die from covid this month and this is what you have to say. You should be ashamed.

Most likely they will, its a pandemic unfortunately. quite possible 1000 will die this week with the numbers coming out.

Just pointing out things in Thailand are not as bad as other places in the world, we should be at least thankful for that.

And I'm not ashamed to quote figures from the same source as you, your just pour scorn on anyone who has a different opinion from you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Watching CNA now and they are discussing an extreme blowup in cases in China and new lockdowns being put in place.  To add to the issues, China is now inspecting all frozen food deliveries to the country as they believe this may be how Delta arrived in the country.  Surely the return of Covid with the Delta variant to the mainland was expected.  

BBC News reported that the Delta Variant entered China through Nanjing Airport.

Some cleaners working on a Russian Flight turn round were very lax in their duties.

The Virus as already spread to 15 Provinces and also Beijing, with lockdowns and travel restrictions Etc

9 . 1 Million are to be tested in Wuhan, because it has got there also.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sungod said:

Most likely they will, its a pandemic unfortunately. quite possible 1000 will die this week with the numbers coming out.

Just pointing out things in Thailand are not as bad as other places in the world, we should be at least thankful for that.

And I'm not ashamed to quote figures from the same source as you, your just pour scorn on anyone who has a different opinion from you.

Complete rubbish. I'm always open to and supportive of rational argument. Not so much the opposite. As has been pointed out by many, yes there are countries worse off in the death rate, although not many when it comes to the Delta wave and I did point this out. The fact remains that these countries are becoming less as this travesty here marches on and Thailand's global standing becomes worse. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Could you go to the dentists? No. Could you go to the hairdresser? No.  Ahhhhh! Alcohol. No. There's a few differences. Anyone is free to add to the list. It was stricter last time and brought in faster after the boxing fiasto but still not a hard lockdown. Now the variant is so much stonger the psuedo lockdown isn't as harsh and the spread continues.

I doubt closing dentists, hairdressers and banning alcohol made a whole lot of difference!  I didn't realise dentists could open this time - the dentist near me is closed.